whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another bank property pretty dumpy as usual but we do one a week for decent pay , same #### elevate and flatten underbrush
juhysyje.jpg
ery5y6y7.jpg
eqysejeb.jpg
apparently someone hid in the bushes at one of the branches and held up someone using the ATM so now all the trees have to be cleared on all the sites good work and guaranteed pay

its money in the bank-from the bank. (i'm sorry)

Just got in, was going to go do another, but screw it, its hot. Time for my shorts and good ol' Vans.

I WAS STUNG IN THE NECK! FREAKIN BEE'S!! Doing that elm, right at the bottom, nest in some old brush, where did I step? Right in the middle! So I deserved the kiss. **** is all swollen up and hurts like hell.

Took the great niece (might as well be granddaughter) out to fill a stump with top soil, let her run the dump trailer, thought it was the greatest thing EVER!

Shipped my oldest off to his third year at college. He is going to be a preacher, so I wonder what kind of trouble he will get into while at a actual University, before, the last 2 years, he was in a "boot camp" ......... they where not aloud to hang out with girls. Now he is at a campus full of hot chicks. I hope they corrupt him.

Scott, glad your son has good direction, sooo much better than pants hanging down, cap on sideways thug punks ;)

hope you proud of him and support his call

Today:

Hit Tim Horton's for coffee and muffins, went to work, and on tree #1, my climber put the saw in his finger. :(

He was holding a branch while cutting it, one of his spurs slipped out, and he dropped a few inches in a jolt which apparently was enough to cause his still turning 200T to hit the end of his index finger on his free hand. He was about 20' up, and I lowered him down on his rope since he was unable to tie a prussic. No point in trying, really. I tended to him as best I could with the first aid kit, then off to the clinic for a first-class quick bandage job, and he just left for the hospital for stiches. Poor guy.

This is why I nag him endlessly to bring a rope with him even on smaller trees (amongst other things). He's an excellent climber with about 20 years experience, but climbers - often by their nature - are a bit full of themselves and have an "I don't need that!" frame of mind when it comes to the some of the minutia of safety and contingencies. If he didn't bring his rope with him on that small maple, the climb down would have been uncomfortable to say the least.

So y'all elitist holier-than-thou climbers best listen to your groundman when they are nagging you about something, cause they just might save your bacon one day. :msp_thumbup:

Sat down for breakfast with one of my suppliers, went well enough I guess. Then went to finish the job I started yesterday. Driving up the road to the house, the homeowner was leaving, and stopped to tell me that one of the 2 trees actually fell last night while they were having dinner. Dropped the remaining one, and got paid.

Today:

Hit Tim Horton's for coffee and muffins, went to work, and on tree #1, my climber put the saw in his finger. :(

He was holding a branch while cutting it, one of his spurs slipped out, and he dropped a few inches in a jolt which apparently was enough to cause his still turning 200T to hit the end of his index finger on his free hand. He was about 20' up, and I lowered him down on his rope since he was unable to tie a prussic. No point in trying, really. I tended to him as best I could with the first aid kit, then off to the clinic for a first-class quick bandage job, and he just left for the hospital for stiches. Poor guy.

This is why I nag him endlessly to bring a rope with him even on smaller trees (amongst other things). He's an excellent climber with about 20 years experience, but climbers - often by their nature - are a bit full of themselves and have an "I don't need that!" frame of mind when it comes to the some of the minutia of safety and contingencies. If he didn't bring his rope with him on that small maple, the climb down would have been uncomfortable to say the least.

So y'all elitist holier-than-thou climbers best listen to your groundman when they are nagging you about something, cause they just might save your bacon one day. :msp_thumbup:
Got a little jacked up myself today , second job was light rain which then proceeded to pour rain and I was cutting up the trunk to load in the truck and the saw kicked out backwards and the handle hit me right on the upper thigh , didn't think that would suck as bad as it did , gotta a nice bruise and knot to remember today :laugh:

Got a little jacked up myself today , second job was light rain which then proceeded to pour rain and I was cutting up the trunk to load in the truck and the saw kicked out backwards and the handle hit me right on the upper thigh , didn't think that would suck as bad as it did , gotta a nice bruise and knot to remember today :laugh:

On the plus side, you'll have to drop your pants to show the girls that injury. :)

Just spoke to my climber, he's okay, so to speak. They anesthetized his finger, took a brush to the wound (OUCH!!!!!!!!), cleaned it out and sealed him up. Back tomorrow to see a plastic surgeon to see what level of disfigurement he's going to have on the end of that finger. Antibiotics, painkillers, and a daily trip to the CLSC (local health centers) to have the bandages changed for about a week. He says he wants to work next week, maybe just drive the truck and yell at people.

Sorry if this should be in the injury forum, but it's what happened today.

Today:

This is why I always keep my spikes sharp, tie in twice, and re-gaff both feet/adjust flip line before starting a saw in a tree (takedowns only, obviously). Seems like common sense to me. Standard protocol.

This is why I always keep my spikes sharp, tie in twice, and re-gaff both feet/adjust flip line before starting a saw in a tree (takedowns only, obviously). Seems like common sense to me. Standard protocol.

The life you save might be your own :)

Good thing you were wearing your cup!

I hear ya. But I've been working with this climber for ten-years (he's been doing it for twenty) and he's pretty damn good. Technical proficiency is not a question with him. He's very calm, very fit, very comfortable in the tree.

I've grounded for lots of climbers, and I've seen climbers do some stupid, stupid things. I think in this case it was just a "#### happens" moment. And #### did indeed happen.

Dude what the hell is that jib id feel safer rigging off a bucket :p

The jib does look strange, it folds under and has 2 bars that come off of the front and bolt on above the lower section to give it support. I put it on to see how it worked and folded it back after i played around with it. Kinda a pain to set up. I hope not to use the jib much, i don't know. O Never used a crain before ever so i have a lot to learn, i will take it slow. It does have a 2 man basket that came with it :msp_thumbup:

Narrow it down,,I think you have mechanical pumps for each injector. At least you will know what caused your total rebuid.
Jeff

Took your advice and started it and cracked open the inj pumps one at a time, first one when opened had low pressure and was all bubbles like it had air in it. When opened made little difference how it ran. The other 2 were no bubbles and the engine died down when opened, very high pressure. Will replace it and see what happens. Now to try and find one

Deadwooding a couple of spruce and doing some Mickey Mouse Manitoba Maple hackerry / butchery today. Descending outta the maple and notice a white pickup drive by and park a little ways off. Fellow gets out, puts a hard hat on, and starts walking towards us......Ministry of Labour inspector!!! And I'm thinking to myself: "This is gonna hurt, cause I think he is prolly gonna notice I ain't wearing chainsaw pants, and the groundie ain't either"

We then had a very long pleasant conversation, and then he said goodbye! No fines or riot act.
The groundie fortunately was wearing a (brand new) pair of workboots, instead of his customary pair held together with duct tape. The weird thing was that the inspector really knew his stuff, and was obviously not just a pencil pusher who took a Train the Trainer course. I asked him how we ranked safety/equipment wise compared to other tree co's he has run across, and he said that apart from the absent leg protection, we were ok, but tree companies are usually one extreme or the other.

Took your advice and started it and cracked open the inj pumps one at a time, first one when opened had low pressure and was all bubbles like it had air in it. When opened made little difference how it ran. The other 2 were no bubbles and the engine died down when opened, very high pressure. Will replace it and see what happens. Now to try and find one

I know your pain, Bro!
We are rebuilding a Vermeer 672 tow behind (Beast).
I love this thing,,,
Jeff :biggrin:

View attachment 312087
View attachment 312092View attachment 312093View attachment 312093
View attachment 312094

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back