whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeman75

treeman75

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes it was........ but the pay was good

Ya, we had the strobes going cause we were playing disco music real loud to drown out the chipper noise.... being early on a Sunday morning and all.

No running boards on the truck yet, but a good idea. Hard to get my old ass in the truck at the end of the day.

I'll definitely light them up though. Freddy Mercury tribute.:D
I was thinking the pay would have to be real good to have my truck at that clown circus they had going on there.

jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.
Ah, what a Sunday! Our only day off. This is a weird winter, in the 70's and low 80's. I am very curious about this Spring tho, any rain over one inch could be catastrophic !
My daughter Emily turns 13 tomorrow and for her birthday I am going cold turkey,yup ,done deal.
Jeff

treevet

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
questi owne for you more experienced snow guys...last snow on this large convent property I do (week ago) it was first warm and raining (38 ish). Then as forecast it dropped temp quickly and snowed a lot. My plan was to plow the snow when it started as it was slushy before ice could set up then go back and salt.

Well while plowing the ice set up esp. in a couple of shaded spots and then the snow covered it and the salt didn't work there but rather just pitted and I had to go over and over it for days until I saw pavement with help from sun at 20 degrees f and repeated salt.

Sooooo...today I altered my game plan and it rained all day hard at about 38 degrees with again a drop off the cliff temp forecast and I just hit that mf'er just BEFORE it started to snow (9 pm) and temps plummeted. On the way home I saw my town maint. guy salting and this made me feel good as they are the best in N. Cinci at keeping perfect streets.

Question is...I spread mass salt...temps now have dropped from 38 to maybe 24 degrees f and heading to minus 2 by morning...I keep the ice from setting up ...for a while?? As the salt only works to 15 degrees and is still h20 when the big cold hits then it don't work and I wasted time?? Posed to snow later and I plan to plow but will there be ice under it?

Ah, what a Sunday! Our only day off. This is a weird winter, in the 70's and low 80's. I am very curious about this Spring tho, any rain over one inch could be catastrophic !
My daughter Emily turns 13 tomorrow and for her birthday I am going cold turkey,yup ,done deal.
Jeff

Does that mean your quitting smoking, drinking or heroin? Good luck.

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
questi owne for you more experienced snow guys...last snow on this large convent property I do (week ago) it was first warm and raining (38 ish). Then as forecast it dropped temp quickly and snowed a lot. My plan was to plow the snow when it started as it was slushy before ice could set up then go back and salt.

Well while plowing the ice set up esp. in a couple of shaded spots and then the snow covered it and the salt didn't work there but rather just pitted and I had to go over and over it for days until I saw pavement with help from sun at 20 degrees f and repeated salt.

Sooooo...
Question is...I spread mass salt...temps now have dropped from 38 to maybe 24 degrees f and heading to minus 2 by morning...I keep the ice from setting up ...for a while?? As the salt only works to 15 degrees and is still h20 when the big cold hits then it don't work and I wasted time?? Posed to snow later and I plan to plow but will there be ice under it?

What really counts is the ground temperature, not the air temp. If you spread salt on a wet pavement, that should keep it loose until you plow. Below about 15°, all bets are off. Frequently, at least in our area, the snow will act as an insulator against the cold, and the ground won't freeze up until plowed. If your ground is already deeply frozen, then there is no residual warmth to "insulate in", and it will be crusty frozen at -2°. If you get that cold all the time, consider adding a calcium chloride sprayer to your salt spreader. When the salt spreader comes on, the CaCl2 liquid gets sprayed onto the conveyor before it drops into the slinger-chute. When salt is WET with CaCl2, it lands on ice and starts melting.

The biggest problem when melting ice with salt at 20° or below is that salt only works when there is a liquid interface. When it is cold, hard ice, you just have one solid crystal bumping into another one, and the ice does not melt. When there is a liquid interface, the salt molecules get to mix into the ice/water and reduce the melting point of the water. Then it just becomes an issue of adding enough salt to melt the ice.

Last edited:
treeclimber101

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK

Sooooo...today I altered my game plan and it rained all day hard at about 38 degrees with again a drop off the cliff temp forecast and I just hit that mf'er just BEFORE it started to snow (9 pm) and temps plummeted. On the way home I saw my town maint. guy salting and this made me feel good as they are the best in N. Cinci at keeping perfect streets.

You gotta be quick with salt as soon as you clear it salt it , the snow keeps the road somewhat warmer , so hit it hard with salt and preferably while the sun is still up , but even salting and not really melting much gives a hell of a lot of traction on ice

Groundman One
Today? Rained all morning and turned the snow to inches thick mush. Cleaned off all the ice that had built up on the deck while it was warm. When it started to freeze back up, I shoveled a big wide path around the house to the back porch so we can get our new stove in through the patio door. Then I flattened out the tire grooves in the driveway mush/ice and the footprints in the walkway mush/ice so we wouldn`t have a moon crater landscape to deal with. Now that it`s all frozen up, I`ll go sand the walkway. Woke up to +5, will go to bed at -20.

Winter. Always an adventure. :cool:

Latest posts