whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all responses. Today I upgraded with some "Blue Ice Melter" I think it is called which like PDQDL mentioned has calcium chloride blended in with a more refined salt. It spreads and funnels into the auger better too (2x cost tho). So I got all the walking areas to de ice. But I still have some roadway areas that are so deep with ice from drainage that no salt will work and like you said...time to sand tomorrow (I have no restrictions on what I do here and I sure as hell ain't climbing no trees at minus 15 degrees f (without windchill) tomorrow and it Will BE WINDY.
Wonder if Kitty litter or absorbant would work as it would be lighter per bag? Might be too large particles to go thru the spreader auger tho? Might blow away too.

The granular ice-melt products that have Calcium Chloride in them are just a cheap way to lower the effective temperature of the product without stepping up to the best stuff: straight CaCl2. Years ago I learned a trick from MoDOT. They were putting one bag of calcium chloride into each loader bucket of salt. When the calcium chloride hits the pavement at 10°, it still melts the ice and makes a tiny puddle of water. At that point, the salt gets into the mix and starts working too.

The modern systems just dissolve the calcium chloride into a water solution, then spray it onto the conveyor before it hits the street. It works much better, because each little pellet of salt is making it to the ground with a built-in water droplet to interface with the ice.

Kitty litter is made of clay, corn cobs, stuff like that. It is great for pedestrian traffic; because it isn't such a mess as sand when it get tracked in. Unfortunately, when it is wet enough, it just crumbles up and becomes useless for traction, particularly when car tires are grinding it up. Kitty litter is generally the same stuff as oil dry, which works about the same but costs 1/2 as much.

Smart cat owners buy oil dry: it has far less dust in it than kitty litter, and absorbs just as much moisture.

Last edited:
They were supposed to be adding treatment to the tank and the line and manifold seem to freeze when the tank is low.

Don't believe them. What they call conditioner isn't going to be the stuff that will take water out of your tank. The only thing that will come in your fuel oil will be stuff that keeps the wax crystals from glomming together into clumps that will plug up your filters. In diesel systems, this is called "gelling".

Keep the tank where it is, pour in a gallon of this stuff: http://www.powerservice.com/d911/

Last edited:
Holy ****ing shiitake mushrooms it's cold outside , I started the truck ..... It made a awful noise so I decided I am too scared to start anything else today , chipper is frozen solid not like I need it for anything and the bucket is literally frozen to the ground , this sucks ass . I shouldn't have to live this way !

Holy ****ing shiitake mushrooms it's cold outside , I started the truck ..... It made a awful noise so I decided I am too scared to start anything else today , chipper is frozen solid not like I need it for anything and the bucket is literally frozen to the ground , this sucks ass . I shouldn't have to live this way !
I thought about going out and firing everything up, but figured that it may do more harm than good. Supposed to be 35 Friday, and then heading your way. So the end is in sight!
Now they are talking about it being the perfect conditions for a major ice storm Thur/Fri. Talking about a couple inches of ice. That would make for a interesting month, but I don't want my lil bebe trees to get hurt tho, been raisen dem since dey wur chicks.

I thought about going out and firing everything up, but figured that it may do more harm than good. Supposed to be 35 Friday, and then heading your way. So the end is in sight!
Now they are talking about it being the perfect conditions for a major ice storm Thur/Fri. Talking about a couple inches of ice. That would make for a interesting month, but I don't want my lil bebe trees to get hurt tho, been raisen dem since dey wur chicks.
Wrap them with burlap

Burlap them

Burlap them

I park my skid loader on wood boards to prevent the tracks from freezing to the ground.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

tomorrow a start back to above freezing temps. Gonna do a td even tho 8 degrees in the am. I am biting the bit to get back to tree work. Hope the crano starts. Needs a block heater. Little shot of starter will do it.

tomorrow a start back to above freezing temps. Gonna do a td even tho 8 degrees in the am. I am biting the bit to get back to tree work. Hope the crano starts. Needs a block heater. Little shot of starter will do it.
Don't be shooting that **** into your truck you got turbos

hyd system is the biggest prob in cold weather. telescope packings in boom are the most vulnerable. need to go in and out slowly at idle speed(even though its annoying) to get oil moving. if you roll a scope packing -its a major awshit.

Back