whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did I do today? Almost died, closest call I've ever had as a tree worker. I was topping out a black walnut with a rope and block. I made my notch, started coming in with my back cut and realized it wasn't going to go without a little push. I was in a piss poor position, so I put my saw away. With about two inches of holding wood left on the piece, I thought it would be fine so I started to spike up a few feet to get better leverage on my push. That's when this freakish gust of wind pushed my piece backwards, snapping the holding wood. The top brushed the primary, the rope slid down my arm, and that's when I felt the bite of the electrical devil pulsating through my body. Luckily the piece brushed the primary and didn't get hung up, otherwise I would have been a crispy critter, another statistic.

Been in this trade fifteen years, and finally realized the utmost importance of not being too comfortable or complacent. I'm not going to go over what I should have done differently, that's pretty obvious, just thought I'd share. Be safe out there guys.[/QUOT

Yeah, you too!

Jeez! I don't know what to celebrate today, 5 years on Arboristsite, Easter, Hitler's birthday, or national pot smoking day. I guess I take a smoke break and think about it. BRB!

Omg am I beat!! This getting started ain't any easier at 41, I'll say that much. Doing it though, and it feels good. Everything in me wants to take today off (got better things I could be doing than looking at trees), but supposed to get rain Tuesday night into Wednesday afternoon, so I guess that's out. Besides, I should probably work off that Flintstones style slab of prime rib I devoured yesterday. Lol. Thing was awesome.. totally ridiculous.

Todays first job
2a8eda6u.jpg

ada6a9an.jpg

pu2uty3u.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

That could be. One thing is for sure...I might be motivated but if I was very smart I would have never ended up in the tree business.

Yeah, my dear bubba, that's pretty much what I meant, at least something along those lines.

Anyway:

Pulled a regular brown tic out of my lower eyelid the other day.

Been breakin my ass cleaning up storm fallen limbs, broken trees and still am swimming in it.

Figured out a neat way to attach a set a forks to the bucket on my tractor but still have yet to weld it up nice. I was greasing the thing yesterday and half the zerks were falling out - GREAT!

OD has been prying me for info on Rick's tree service like he wants to go. Get this: Right now he has a TOWNSHIP JOB! Shhh, you didn't hear it from me.

And if anybody else is feeling like they want to slit their own throat then tune into 101's Facebook page and he will blow kisses at you and make it all better.

Anybody know good place to get some nice rigger boards on the cheap?
dave are there any supply houses out there that supply shoring and piling materials to the foundation trades. the oak that they use for contact sheeting with solider piles is a good size. we have a lot of local mills around here. (4x8, 4x10)

You don't have you're own portable sawmill? If you don't have a sawmill you're not a fully equipped tree service.

My friend's crane co. just cuts oak logs into 4"x4" by about 3 footers with a chainsaw mill and they crisscross stack them for cribbing. Maybe that is the way to go. I had some nice pads that came with the crane but they are in poor condition now.

What I did today. Got pissed on by rain, that passed, when it did, I went up, rain stopped in its tracks and came back. Never seen a rain cloud throw it in reverse before. Curse you motha nature.

Latest posts

Back