whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Send him to my crew I'll make the ***** cry. I've broken a few guys down lol they go in the office "he yells at me..." "he's mean" "he over works me" and so on. they ask why did he yell at you? Why was he mean? And how did he over work you? Did u get your break and lunch? Yea? So what are you complaining about? Some of there responses are great. my favorite reaction from my boss has been sooo in other words you are telling me he won't let you stand around and be a lazy ****er like on one of the other crews?

Got an auction to go to with the boss tomorrow looking for some trucks. Think I'll try to find out what job he's got for me and devise a way to make the kid wanna quit. I can fire him but that won't teach him anything. Make him quit and at least he knows how hard "work" really can be.

Put the kid up a tree. Sometimes that humbles them. Give him a task while not unsafe, would challenge a new climber. Then have the rest of the crew watch him as he struggles. I've found this tends to humble the so called "know it alls". If this doesn't work, work him till he quits.

Go the opposite direction on this kid. Keep him out of the line of work. Tell him to stand aside, give him the most lame jobs, (move the truck, unhitch the trailer, start the chipper,) but don't let him do any labor work, just let him stand around. When he does try to work, tell him not to. This will drive him crazy and he'll get the guilts bad when the other guys give him the looks all day. Then when you go back to the office for the day, the boss will see you got the same amount of work done with or without this kid and then, "do we really need him?"

Working on a massive prune, get into the tree and as I get closer to the top, I notice, someone has been there before. Spike wounds out on the leader's and half cut branches everywhere. Take a stroll around to see what all is jacked up, cutting epis as I go, about a billion of them. Who ever did it was horrible, several 3-5" branches cut halfway thru, major flush cuts and peels. Lady is the new owner of the place and does not know who. After taking the survey, I get after it. Going as fast as I can, I know that there is no way to do it one day, do it right anyways. Oh well. We start cleaning up for the day, she comes out and I let her know that I am not finished. She ask's if it is going to cost more and I tell her no, I should have looked a bit harder and that I never come back and ask for more unless we find a major issue that completely changes the job (IE: prune to removal) She tells me that she will not be around today so she wants to pay me before I leave. She hands me the check with a $500 bonus on top! Wish they where all that way!

Those kind of customers are awesome. You probably also got a long term client out of that. I've gotten several like that in the $100-200 range where they realized the job ended up more involved than it looked like from the ground. All of them have called me back when they needed more tree work later on.

Sorry man, but I don't believe you, or you are a puss,,the way I see it.
Jeff ;)

It's a fact old man I don't give a **** whether you believe me or not. As far as a puss goes, I guess I could have went over there and busted out the F'ing window and pulled the little cockroach out and shown him how somebody could hurt him...and then went to jail for the next three days. It's not like weirdofornia here, they will put you in jail for things like that here.

It's a fact old man I don't give a **** whether you believe me or not. As far as a puss goes, I guess I could have went over there and busted out the F'ing window and pulled the little cockroach out and shown him how somebody could hurt him...and then went to jail for the next three days. It's not like weirdofornia here, they will put you in jail for things like that here.
"We" meaning myself and about 5 other guys got into a bit of a dust up a few years back at the 7eleven when one guy saw another guy that owed him some money for climbing work , got heated real quick ,ended with one guy slamming another guys leg in the door of his truck about 10xs ! Guy sued and won but he does have a perma . Stank leg now

"We" meaning myself and about 5 other guys got into a bit of a dust up a few years back at the 7eleven when one guy saw another guy that owed him some money for climbing work , got heated real quick ,ended with one guy slamming another guys leg in the door of his truck about 10xs ! Guy sued and won but he does have a perma . Stank leg now

We have had a little of that around here too. We got into it with another tree service back in 1996 I believe it was. And that deal involved a guy from the other tree service trying to steal from our job. There was eight guys total involved in that situation and one guy from the other outfit ended up out of commission for three months. He about croaked. The main thing is although we were in the right I caught a major ration of **** over it. I hate a thief but I can't afford any trouble either.

Go the opposite direction on this kid. Keep him out of the line of work. Tell him to stand aside, give him the most lame jobs, (move the truck, unhitch the trailer, start the chipper,) but don't let him do any labor work, just let him stand around. When he does try to work, tell him not to. This will drive him crazy and he'll get the guilts bad when the other guys give him the looks all day. Then when you go back to the office for the day, the boss will see you got the same amount of work done with or without this kid and then, "do we really need him?"

That sick!

We got a crew out on a big clearing job that's now a mud hole. Think I'll see if they need a stick picker upper guy. I thought about sending him up a tree but he only knows how to climb poles which (no offence to utility workers) is basically useless. Tried to show him how to tie in before and he doesn't think it's necessary. He won't be around much longer. Just don't want any more of his time to be near me.

Working on a massive prune, get into the tree and as I get closer to the top, I notice, someone has been there before. Spike wounds out on the leader's and half cut branches everywhere. Take a stroll around to see what all is jacked up, cutting epis as I go, about a billion of them. Who ever did it was horrible, several 3-5" branches cut halfway thru, major flush cuts and peels. Lady is the new owner of the place and does not know who. After taking the survey, I get after it. Going as fast as I can, I know that there is no way to do it one day, do it right anyways. Oh well. We start cleaning up for the day, she comes out and I let her know that I am not finished. She ask's if it is going to cost more and I tell her no, I should have looked a bit harder and that I never come back and ask for more unless we find a major issue that completely changes the job (IE: prune to removal) She tells me that she will not be around today so she wants to pay me before I leave. She hands me the check with a $500 bonus on top! Wish they where all that way!
nice when a customer is smart enough to see you are giving 100% and is willing to pay for the extra attention. few and far between.

I meant no harm, I just assumed your 'man-suit' was on,, :)
Jeff

nice when a customer is smart enough to see you are giving 100% and is willing to pay for the extra attention. few and far between.

They were few and far between 20 years ago. They are damn near nonexistent today. We give the client 100%, and I mean a full 100%, of what they pay for but we don't go above and beyond anymore. People just don't seem to appreciate it...at least around here they don't.

We got a crew out on a big clearing job that's now a mud hole. Think I'll see if they need a stick picker upper guy. I thought about sending him up a tree but he only knows how to climb poles which (no offence to utility workers) is basically useless. Tried to show him how to tie in before and he doesn't think it's necessary. He won't be around much longer. Just don't want any more of his time to be near me.
whenever we have lazy people we only bring the trailer with 4 foot sides and make them load all the brush in it haha they usually don't show up the next day :)

Bought a new groundsman a week ago and he got delivered last night. I think I will name him Joe.
Beyond excited to continue my weekend work with this new mini skid steer. I have used the new boxer and the new Vermeer and I personally think that they are not all that user friendly. Plus this machine with the BMG and a 36" bucket delivered was 25,000 in round numbers.

Pretty cool! I just got my "new to me" mini, sk650 with the same setup delivered Friday. 2010, 1400 hrs, 52" bucket, forks and BMG for $16K. Same here, can't wait to use it.

BTW, why not the 755 with the bigger motor? Dealer told me they were selling out of control and just a few of the 750s were selling.

Latest posts

Back