whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built a smoker so I can dispose of the Apple trees customers keep getting rid of.
10842dc9bbaa021ee9374c9cd93e9835.jpg

Dragged a big trailer load of firewood from jobsite (60 miles away) to the shop... a block away, the alternator went out on the truck. Guy I bought it from said he had just replaced it, and sure as hell, it looked new. It was, however, making funny noises and clearly wasn't working. My hillbilly neighbor had a Blazer he was going to haul to the scrapyard with a blown 4.3L V6 in it (same as in the truck) so we pulled both alternators so we could swap them out. Taking the one out of the truck, I discovered that the alternator bracket, a large cast aluminum monstrosity on these, was broken. No problem, we swapped it out, too. Looking at it later, we discovered that it had been JB Welded together. The guy must have run out of duct tape and superglue. I have a feeling that the vibration from that might have been what killed the alternator. But at least the truck is back running.

alternator-bracket.jpg

flopped a tilted (storm blow over) White Pine that was all hung up in neighboring trees back upright and then over into a meadow for processing....saved a ton of time processing it in the meadow instead of trying to get it processed while all hung up...After I brushed it out I stood the stick back up so the soil, stump, etc layed all flat again...Then I dropped the stick. Landcruiser Powah!

Dragged a big trailer load of firewood from jobsite (60 miles away) to the shop... a block away, the alternator went out on the truck. Guy I bought it from said he had just replaced it, and sure as hell, it looked new. It was, however, making funny noises and clearly wasn't working. My hillbilly neighbor had a Blazer he was going to haul to the scrapyard with a blown 4.3L V6 in it (same as in the truck) so we pulled both alternators so we could swap them out. Taking the one out of the truck, I discovered that the alternator bracket, a large cast aluminum monstrosity on these, was broken. No problem, we swapped it out, too. Looking at it later, we discovered that it had been JB Welded together. The guy must have run out of duct tape and superglue. I have a feeling that the vibration from that might have been what killed the alternator. But at least the truck is back running.

View attachment 519749

flopped a tilted (storm blow over) White Pine that was all hung up in neighboring trees back upright and then over into a meadow for processing....saved a ton of time processing it in the meadow instead of trying to get it processed while all hung up...After I brushed it out I stood the stick back up so the soil, stump, etc layed all flat again...Then I dropped the stick. Landcruiser Powah!

I got a little sick in the tummy whenst I saw the truck go backwards.

View attachment 519749
exactly what happened to me couple days ago. I bought a new to me 97 GMC C7500 topkick bucket truck. The alternator broke at the same place. I noticed that because the belt was so crooked it makes jarring noise.

did a removal of two black locust trees past Saturday. both are rotten below root collar. You can see through the holes. It wasn't a bad job. Just learnt a new thing the hard way. the thing was infested heavily by ants and there is a lots of dirt build up on the inside of the stump, killed two of my new chains.

Also, this was the first time I brought mw new to me bucked truck to a real job. never used a bucket before. everything went well and quite an enjoyable experience. right after I was done with the bucket, while lowering myself about 10 feet above the ground, a line busted and shooting oil straight up. ground guys was able to kill the engine so it won't lose all the hydraulic oil. came down from a ladder, switched to lower control, folded it back together and drove it home. Quite dramatic for a bucket newbie, but could b a lot worse. I'm grateful! Now I simply go back to my trusted old home made F350 chip truck until I figure out how to fix the hydraulic line.

Also, this was the first time I brought mw new to me bucked truck to a real job. never used a bucket before. everything went well and quite an enjoyable experience. right after I was done with the bucket, while lowering myself about 10 feet above the ground, a line busted and shooting oil straight up. ground guys was able to kill the engine so it won't lose all the hydraulic oil. came down from a ladder, switched to lower control, folded it back together and drove it home. Quite dramatic for a bucket newbie, but could b a lot worse. I'm grateful! Now I simply go back to my trusted old home made F350 chip truck until I figure out how to fix the hydraulic line.

You could of disengaged the PTO,,
how did you use the lower controls without the truck running?
Also, was the fluid "shooting oil straight up" while you were using the lower controls?,
Jeff

You are right about disengage the PTO instead of shutting off the engine. However I'm not sure my ground guy knows how to do that. Plus it's faster to turn the key.
Once i switched to lower control panel, I then started the engine with the hydraulic only to the out riggers. Then I switched to the boom as I watch the broken line to make sure oil does not shoot out. As I operate from the lower to fold both booms to transport position there is still quite some oil coming down the inside of the lower boom. But much less.

You are right about disengage the PTO instead of shutting off the engine. However I'm not sure my ground guy knows how to do that. Plus it's faster to turn the key.
Once i switched to lower control panel, I then started the engine with the hydraulic only to the out riggers. Then I switched to the boom as I watch the broken line to make sure oil does not shoot out. As I operate from the lower to fold both booms to transport position there is still quite some oil coming down the inside of the lower boom. But much less.

You better go back and get it cleaned up before you have problem.

Back