whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the last two evenings crashing out a 90 foot chestnut oak, dead and crusty. I lowered a couple pieces because I didn't want to pull them out of the bamboo but the rest was just a yard wrecking extravaganza.

Yesterday I set a block on fat wood from the ground, tied into that, stuck the tail of my rope through another pulley on the ground and wrapped it to the porty... which was attached to the mini. I tied in a little higher but also stayed tied to the block. You should have heard the sound of these leaders hitting the ground. Some I spear chucked, drove nice holes, even with the wood, no stickers though, just holes and mini tracks.

We worked a few hours til dark then did it again this evening for like two. I'll get the logs tomorrow by myself... and fix that lawn.

Nice logs to! Gonna all split very nice. I might even save all the bark, box it and sell it for kindling. I love chestnut oak bark personally. When dry you can just break it into neat strips, one side there is about inch of leafy paper and the other is a few inches of cork. Goes up easy and fast , stays and coals good to get the wood burning.

I spent the week doing removals on the east side of Cleveland for the gas company. I sounded a bit like Jeff when ever anyone would ask for a price on a tree. I must've told half the city that we don't do residential. That and after the chip truck got back from dumping we ran a bunch of stuff through by hand, he went and turned around, and I set a big log in the 1800; the damn chipper flipped up off the hitch. They both swear they put the hitch pin in. Kinda hard to do that with it clipped to where it always is when not hooked up:mad:

If I forget that I put in 65 hours in 5 days of high heat and humidity, and dealing with city traffic; it was a beautiful week:dancing:
And now :cheers:

I spent the week doing removals on the east side of Cleveland for the gas company. I sounded a bit like Jeff when ever anyone would ask for a price on a tree. I must've told half the city that we don't do residential. That and after the chip truck got back from dumping we ran a bunch of stuff through by hand, he went and turned around, and I set a big log in the 1800; the damn chipper flipped up off the hitch. They both swear they put the hitch pin in. Kinda hard to do that with it clipped to where it always is when not hooked up:mad:

If I forget that I put in 65 hours in 5 days of high heat and humidity, and dealing with city traffic; it was a beautiful week:dancing:
And now :cheers:

I hear ya
Everywhere we work, their will be homeowner's asking for bid's,
90% of them I will refer to the local companies that I know.
Probably the reason they approach bigger companies is because they have had or have heard from their neighbors of crappy work,
Mostly they are looking for a free estimate to use when they search for guy's on Craig's List.
I tell them that we have a $1000 minimum. If they are ok with that, I will take a look.
Jeff

Not bad. Your ground guys are stacking those logs tighter than a pack of smokes. I have to yell at mine to not put stuff on the lines or in front of the truck

CUSTOMER: "But, if you cut those big limbs off the tree, they could land on the propane tank and blow the house up!"
ME: "Don't worry, we'll use finesse and the latest high-tech methods to ensure they land in a predetermined target zone."

And then, we did this...

Yer a crazy old ********** ain't ya now?

Doc, you couldn't of said that better.

Slept in till 8 am today. Was startled as hell by how light it was and almost clobbered my 3 year old that snuck into bed with us last night. Made every one breakfast
image.jpeg
Then I did some weed whacking. I was like a samurai in battle up until I caught a garter snake and the bastid ended up on me. The weed eater is laying somewhere on the creek bank still. I decided the zero turn was much safer so I mowed. Then I hooked up the TM to the bobcat and busted up some big rounds. After that I had to deal with family birthdays. Don't these people know that Sunday is my only day to get things done around the house and drink heavily!

CUSTOMER: "But, if you cut those big limbs off the tree, they could land on the propane tank and blow the house up!"
ME: "Don't worry, we'll use finesse and the latest high-tech methods to ensure they land in a predetermined target zone."

And then, we did this...

I watched it like 12 times I still don know whatthehell just happened

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

And then, we did this...

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

...I still don know whatthehell just happened...

I just cut narrow facecuts in the stems, backcut to a 2.5" hinge, and yanked the bastards off the tree with a pickup truck.
The one on the ground, the tip was about 30' past the propane tank and butt was 5' away. That last one shot on past the tip of the first one. Must have gone about 35'.

NOTE: If you maximize the video it's easier to see what's going on.

Latest posts

Back