whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bout a month ago I must have been drinking glycol because I totally fudged 75% of my bids. Sucks to be me but it did get me back on the right track on pricing.
My ground guy called from a job site to tell me his father was taking him to get his eye checked out because a piece of sawdust got stuck up there. Later on he texts me that he went to the ER. I'm like "why the **** didn't you go to the walk in clinic? There are two around the corner." Now I might have a w/c claim from a little sawdust. Doh!

This groundguy, as you put it and whatever that means, does not sound like something you should leave unattended in the first place but I don't really know.

He probably scratched his eyeball.

Busted the backhoe on the poor old bobcat over the weekend. Busted it real good or re-busted someone else's poor fix.
02e7820159b9512926b3b3e37377091a.jpg

Apparently in a previous life someone already busted it and welded it while they made a nice looking bead there was no penitration. The weld sheared off flush with the parent material and of course they used a high nickle rod that dosent like to grind or burn out. Prolly thought it was cast iron. I torched a nice bevel into it despite the previous weld and put round about 3lbs of double bubble (7018) into it.
bdc16d50fa380fc582800f50575afe3c.jpg

Definitely rushed it but my legs were falling asleep. The weld now has full penetration of the parent material and should hold untill inlay the machine to rest. Been 6 years sense I stopped welding 12hrs a day and I actually enjoyed this unplanned welding project.

Also went to look at a maple tree yesterday. Guy wants a breakdown of prices from putting it on the ground chipping the brush full clean up and stump grinding plus " discount for not taking the wood " all itemized so he can pick what options he wants .....because it works that way now apparently ..... looked at the tree and wondered how much I should charge for throwing matches at the house untill it catches. I haven't been doing this tree stuff to long but I pretty much never work at places this run down. Every now and then a slumlord gets a quote on a tree at a place like this but dosent actually do anything. Just let's it fall on the house and the kiddies use the tree like a jungle gym untill it rots away. It's possible that the gangly maple he wants removed is worth more than the actual house its next to. Oh and some bubba hacked into them some time last year ... cut most of the branches off all three maples in the back yard that were facing away from the house so now there's 3 maples all one sided heavy towards the house ....... what the **** over ???

That's the way we give quotes, itemized. Just be sure to include that the price you give for taking the wood is the price while you're onsite, not if you have to come back another day.

We did a job yesterday on a run down rental house full of crackheads. Made decent money on it. Remember the slumlord is going to write your cost off against his taxes, so don't feel sorry for him when you give your quote. In our case, I suspect the city inspector wrote a threat letter regarding the unsightly premises (based on neighbour complaints), so that was the motivator.

In your case, you may want to mention liability if his tree falls on his house and harms one of his renters. Just a little motivator.

This groundguy, as you put it and whatever that means, does not sound like something you should leave unattended in the first place but I don't really know.

He probably scratched his eyeball.

He's a great worker. Just sometimes makes silly decisions. I don't have to tell you about how hard is is to find a good worker. Him and the other dude I have are good finds.

Man, did I push the limits today. Got a bunch of oaks to take down over this little shack,, a couple of them in the front are pretty good sized - the one I worked on today in particular. I was told two guys backed out of this job after taking it (before even starting). One tried to charge them twice what it was worth, and the rest of the "large trees removed from difficult places" guys wanted nothing to do with it. In short, the job seems to have punked them out. lol. It's just treework,,, really! I'm surprised at these guys. Anyway, that said, there were a handful cuts that actually made the MDS think twice. I mean huge by even MDS standards. They worked out beautifully, anyway. I guess that's probably a good thing, cuz if they hadn't, they probably would've taken out a couple telephone poles and half the neighborhood. More fun and games tomorrow. I do love my job sometimes.:laugh:

Man, did I push the limits today. Got a bunch of oaks to take down over this little shack,, a couple of them in the front are pretty good sized - the one I worked on today in particular. I was told two guys backed out of this job after taking it (before even starting). One tried to charge them twice what it was worth, and the rest of the "large trees removed from difficult places" guys wanted nothing to do with it. In short, the job seems to have punked them out. lol. It's just treework,,, really! I'm surprised at these guys. Anyway, that said, there were a handful cuts that actually made the MDS think twice. I mean huge by even MDS standards. They worked out beautifully, anyway. I guess that's probably a good thing, cuz if they hadn't, they probably would've taken out a couple telephone poles and half the neighborhood. More fun and games tomorrow. I do love my job sometimes.:laugh:

Pictures or it didn't happen.

But here's a picture that speaks a thousand words. My competition towing 20 ****ing thousand pounds with a f150 and NO trailer brakes.
58db4f8b3ff891216a82511885c7a4e0.jpg

I clicked on this link solely because I saw the picture: WTF OVER!!

And I thought pulling a 580 case behind a 1ton was stupid.

Gorman his trailer isn't rated for 20,000 either. I'm pretty sure that wieght requires a triaxle or dual tandems. Did we ever figure out the prescription safety glasses thing? I haven't had time to check into it but I should get it figured out since somehow I became the safety administrator for the company I work for.

Gorman his trailer isn't rated for 20,000 either. I'm pretty sure that wieght requires a triaxle or dual tandems. Did we ever figure out the prescription safety glasses thing? I haven't had time to check into it but I should get it figured out since somehow I became the safety administrator for the company I work for.

Not yet. He straightened out the er incident by putting it on his insurance and I'll just pay it in cash. I'll be damned if my first w/c claim is going to be over a piece of sawdust in his pretty eye. Getting through to the Department of Labor in my state is next to impossible. Next time I have 90 minutes for lunch I can.

Back