whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any money in that?
You don't make alot of money but it puts me into ag assessment for taxes and that lowers my property and school taxes quite a bit. I also get free maple syrup all year long. At $55 per gallon I make out all right, beside you got to do something with the trees, can't cut them all down.:rock:

You don't make alot of money but it puts me into ag assessment for taxes and that lowers my property and school taxes quite a bit. I also get free maple syrup all year long. At $55 per gallon I make out all right, beside you got to do something with the trees, can't cut them all down.:rock:

Good deal!

I tapped my first tree today.

Suddenly gasoline don't seem that expsensive

There actually is a formula for figuring out the value of sap if you were to sell it to a producer. It's called the Jones rule of 86 and is based on the premise that the half the value of syrup comes from sap. It depends on the bulk price of syrup at the wholesalers. Typically around $2.50 to $2.75 per pound, depending on the grade of syrup, which equals about $27.50 to $30.25 per gallon. As an example, if the bulk rate were $30 per gal for syrup, then $15 is the value of high quality sap to make a gallon of syrup, now the above rule kicks in, it will take 86 gallons of sap divided by the amount of sugar content of the sap, (for this example lets assume 2%), or 43 gallons of sap. At 2% sugar content the value of each gallon of sap is $15/43 or almost $.35 per gallon. So if you were to deliver 1000 gallons of sap to a producer you could expect to profit nearly $350 for your efforts. The trick is to find a maple syrup producer near you willing to take your sap at a price the two of you could agree on, plus you need the trees and equipment to collect the sap. On a good day you can expect to gather 1 gallon of sap per tap. Figure in the cost of taps and tubing and it becomes a job of love more than a money maker. If you have a large stand of good maple trees and you want the trees to pay for themselves then sap production is a possibility. It could offset property taxes if done right. Oh yes one other issue, you need the cold and heat variations of the Northeast to help the process along. Below freezing nights with a warming daytime temp creates the flow of sap needed to fill your buckets with Maple dollars.

Florida bound

Heading down to Florida for 10 days first thing in the morning!(0300) Going thru at the peace bridge at Fort Erie, then I-90 NY, then I-79 through Penn, then US-19 In WV, , then I-64 to I-77 south crossing in Virginia, then I-26 in SC to I-95 to I-4 W towards Orlando! We'll be the one in an 09 Burgundy Jeep 4 door Wrangler with Ontario FD plates! Shouldn't be too hard to miss!:biggrinbounce2:

sat here all day trying to find some insurance so i can start my business so i can take on new customers to keep busy all year hopfully.but it looks like it's goin to be hard to find the right insurance company to fit what i need

Heading down to Florida for 10 days first thing in the morning!(0300) Going thru at the peace bridge at Fort Erie, then I-90 NY, then I-79 through Penn, then US-19 In WV, , then I-64 to I-77 south crossing in Virginia, then I-26 in SC to I-95 to I-4 W towards Orlando! We'll be the one in an 09 Burgundy Jeep 4 door Wrangler with Ontario FD plates! Shouldn't be too hard to miss!:biggrinbounce2:

First year in three years I have not been in the Orlando area at this time of year.....something about a new job getting in the way of my retirement!

So bleed em dry instead???:msp_biggrin:

You could not get me to make syrup for $100 a gallon. Hard hard work.

It's not something you jump into, that's for sure but as an added feature to the farming business and a decrease in taxes you have to make a choice, pay the man or get paid by the man. It's easier now that I'm retired so I can be at home taking care of business and letting the property pay for itself for a change. Even my vacant lot gets used for maple sap production and enjoys the same benefit of lowered taxes because of it. When you're on fixed income you have to do what you can to cut down on expenses, I don't care who you are, it only makes sense in today's economy.

Well, One of my driver's got stopped at the scales on the way to Riverside. He called me and said he was 1,000lbs. over on the rear axle. So, I flipped a u-turn and went to the scales and we were able to shovel the 1k pounds in the back of my truck. That is a very rare scenario! It sucked having to go home later and by myself, shovel it all out. We got real lucky this time.
Jeff :msp_ohmy:

thats the way to : get er dun:rock:

Well, One of my driver's got stopped at the scales on the way to Riverside. He called me and said he was 1,000lbs. over on the rear axle. So, I flipped a u-turn and went to the scales and we were able to shovel the 1k pounds in the back of my truck. That is a very rare scenario! It sucked having to go home later and by myself, shovel it all out. We got real lucky this time.
Which is why you took a grunt with you right:)

I bet it is tough standing upright in the chip truck wearing that Norsk helmet , with your horns scratching the roof making the cop at the weigh station laugh and point ....

Had a fun and productive day today. I scheduled 4 small jobs today and got them all done! It was one of those days when everything goes as planned and the weather is perfect. Its days like this that I love tree work. $1200 day started first job at 10 and finished the last at 4.

I wish, My CDL driver helped load my truck and I took it home. Took close to an hour with a shovel and then the blower. My driver was glad because it would of went on his record.
Jeff :msp_smile:

Well you know what they say , pics or it did'nt happen:hmm3grin2orange:

just messin with ya what stinks is loading stump grindings with the corn pitch fork:dizzy:

Dang photographer!!!

Ha, yeah, I had one of those 'hay'' type pitch fork, that was fun for about a minute. Tines as wide as a Thermos. But, hay, no ticket at the scales. How rare for a state that is broke!
Jeff :msp_confused

Ha, yeah, I had one of those 'hay'' type pitch fork, that was fun for about a minute. Tines as wide as a Thermos. But, hay, no ticket at the scales. How rare for a state that is broke!
Jeff :msp_confused

State ain't broke I am lol:cheers:

Latest posts

Back