whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished 2 birch tree removals yesterday that were dead and dry with fungus at base, was a little worried if tree would snap while spur climbing it.....felt solid enough though, HO was very pleased to get them down.

In pic, Just a few feet from ground, did snap cuts all the way down, tight quarters, lots of stuff to wreck if not dropped in right area...a lot of work for such small tree's

birchtakedown-1.jpg

On my way down to pick up the kboom the rental car place screwed up so I ended up with dodge charger for same price as a compact so that's a plus.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

question for you i need a small stump grinder and keep looking at the dosko walk behinds but keep hearing about the alpine magnum. but when i watched the video's of him on thier site he uses it to till around the stump without the teeth on the disk first to keep from dulling out the teeth. do they dull out real easy? compared to a regular grinder. is this somthing that you should do or if you dont will your teeth just crap the bed?

The teeth are nothing like conventional stump grinder teeth and dull pretty quickly if you are not careful (they are basically huge carbide chainsaw teeth). You gotta make sure you are constantly hitting wood and not other debris or they dull rapidly. Teeth are about 50 bucks a set and you can sharpen them with an angle grinder with a diamond wheel. I sharpen or swap teeth between significant sized stumps. I can do several smaller ones 1-1.5' on the same set.

The guy in the video actually uses a set of dull teeth the dig around the base of the stump to get the dirt and rocks out. Then he puts on a new sharp set and they cut pretty quick. I often just use a shovel for that but sometimes it's preferable to use old teeth.

It cuts significantly faster than a little dosko and is also more maneuverable. There is definitely a learning curve to this thing but I think it's a great little stumper and a comparatively excellent price (around 4-5 grand new). It's intended for hardwoods but also works amazing on palms.

That said, I would love to have a big self-propelled diesel machine as well but can't justify buying one right now. The alpine is my only stumper and works well for my purposes. I don't do too many tree removals over 3-4' DBH so it works great for me.

Cut down and piled up two Sycamores. Customer originally wanted to have everything cleaned up, but didnt want to pay, so I convienced him to do the cleanup. In and out in hour for $400. Wish I could do that all day long everyday. I hate cleaning up the mess anyway.

View attachment 204472
View attachment 204473

Ahhhhh but the secret is to love cleaning up the mess:) Btw the only thing they will remember is how well you cleaned up did you blow the roof :)

This job was undersold by the company I was working with. The proprietor had given a cheap price because it was supposedly a friend who didn’t want to pay but didn’t want any damage either. Our task was just to put the tree down without damaging anything, just the two of us.

Tree was about 130 ft and had been topped 25+ years ago by a local logger....who as it turns out sent the top straight through the neighbour’s kitchen. The owner didn’t volunteer that info though, insisting the trees had never been touched....and continued to play the job down and that we ought to be done in a couple of hours. Yeah whatever.

The zip line was the ticket. A single line tensioned at the base of the tree, up through a block and then terminated at the landing out yonder. No haul-back/control line. I had 3 loop slings that I would rig to 3 limbs at a time. We would leave each limb still attached at the landing so it would re-tension the line for the next limb....only untying after all 3 were down.

A little trickier nearer the top as the line angle got steeper and there was a high risk of the some of the limbs sweeping and breaking stuff out of the adjacent fir where they had grown through, around and above....which would have landed on the roof. So I had to be patient and re-direct the line a little higher and cut the limbs a little shorter.

The top still had a lean-back but was now sufficiently clear of the adjacent tree and I’d done as much as was practical in shifting the favor. We pre-loaded the top 50ft with the 5:1 and then further took aim with a pocket full wedges and axe. The 5:1 was un-manned at this point because being only two of us there is always a risk of somebody appearing from nowhere walking around the corner and into the kill zone....and the 5:1 was so far away to get a good angle that Scott would’ve been totally blind to what was happening.

Anyway, it straightened up as soon as the back-cut neared the finish-line and then stalled a little, so rather than cut any more I took the time to tap in the wedges before edging further towards the notch....away she went, jumped 15 ft and landed perfectly flat.

A lot of messing around setting up as it was pretty rough terrain at the far end of the rigging, but worth it to leave absolutely no doubt about the outcome. Photos are a poor because it was a damp gloomy day.

Last edited:
Reg, I see your using the Humboldt up there, very nice. And a Humboldt with generous stump shot on the stump, very nice indeed. Looks like a beast of a tree. 2 manning a job is alright too, keeps everybody's head in the game and communication is usually easier done and understood.

Got my Bobkitten 453 on the city doing snow management this year @ 108 and hour. Although I have to throw $28 gross to the contractor that picked me up, it's still an awesome gig because NONE of my insurances are involved. Next tear I'll pick up my own contract. LOL, gotta love it. I'll pay for the thing in full in 3 storms, and it never leaves town.

This job was undersold by the company I was working with. The proprietor had given a cheap price because it was supposedly a friend who didn’t want to pay but didn’t want any damage either. Our task was just to put the tree down without damaging anything, just the two of us.

Tree was about 130 ft and had been topped 25+ years ago by a local logger....who as it turns out sent the top straight through the neighbour’s kitchen. The owner didn’t volunteer that info though, insisting the trees had never been touched....and continued to play the job down and that we ought to be done in a couple of hours. Yeah whatever.

The zip line was the ticket. A single line tensioned at the base of the tree, up through a block and then terminated at the landing out yonder. No haul-back/control line. I had 3 loop slings that I would rig to 3 limbs at a time. We would leave each limb still attached at the landing so it would re-tension the line for the next limb....only untying after all 3 were down.

A little trickier nearer the top as the line angle got steeper and there was a high risk of the some of the limbs sweeping and breaking stuff out of the adjacent fir where they had grown through, around and above....which would have landed on the roof. So I had to be patient and re-direct the line a little higher and cut the limbs a little shorter.

The top still had a lean-back but was now sufficiently clear of the adjacent tree and I’d done as much as was practical in shifting the favor. We pre-loaded the top 50ft with the 5:1 and then further took aim with a pocket full wedges and axe. The 5:1 was un-manned at this point because being only two of us there is always a risk of somebody appearing from nowhere walking around the corner and into the kill zone....and the 5:1 was so far away to get a good angle that Scott would’ve been totally blind to what was happening.

Anyway, it straightened up as soon as the back-cut neared the finish-line and then stalled a little, so rather than cut any more I took the time to tap in the wedges before edging further towards the notch....away she went, jumped 15 ft and landed perfectly flat.

A lot of messing around setting up as it was pretty rough terrain at the far end of the rigging, but worth it to leave absolutely no doubt about the outcome. Photos are a poor because it was a damp gloomy day.

Just outstanding work Reg, top notch!!!!!..:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back