whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what I did today I fixed the lower gear box on my 352 that FLEW off literally while I was cutting a huge maple stump with the wheel attached , somehow 2 of the 4 bolts sheared off clean after 2 wiggled there way out , when the wheel came free it rolled almost 60 ft .. like a scene outta MAD MAX LOL ....

You know what I did today I fixed the lower gear box on my 352 that FLEW off literally while I was cutting a huge maple stump with the wheel attached , somehow 2 of the 4 bolts sheared off clean after 2 wiggled there way out , when the wheel came free it rolled almost 60 ft .. like a scene outta MAD MAX LOL ....

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky there wasn't any loss of life, limb or property damage. HS!!!!!!

Thanks guys. Feel a bit of a dik asking people to take photos sometimes, but they mostly put up with it so long as things are going well.

Nails, for throwing tops the humboldt get my vote. Here's a clip of that:

[video=youtube;9Y8eHSH0jas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y8eHSH0jas[/video]

Thanks guys. Feel a bit of a dik asking people to take photos sometimes, but they mostly put up with it so long as things are going well.

Nails, for throwing tops the humboldt get my vote. Here's a clip of that:

[video=youtube;9Y8eHSH0jas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y8eHSH0jas[/video]

Nice reg, those are fun I like the wedge but you really did not need it it was opening before you got the wedges in lol. I have one of those small shop hammers with a string tied through the handle it seems easier to carry in the tree for me it will beat the snot outta a wedge too lol, just shorter hangs from saddle:cheers:

Thanks again

Nice reg, those are fun I like the wedge but you really did not need it it was opening before you got the wedges in lol. I have one of those small shop hammers with a string tied through the handle it seems easier to carry in the tree for me it will beat the snot outta a wedge too lol, just shorter hangs from saddle:cheers:

It straightened up from the lean Rope, no doubt, due to the pre-loaded line in the top....but then it stalls if you look closely as our line is now holding much less tension. The temptation is there of course to cut that little bit more and see what happens....but I had the wedges at hand so didn't care that much to find out. I can tell by your 'lol' that you're in tune with what was happening in that clip though:msp_biggrin:

It was also quite the relief to finally set about falling the top....I was getting depressed towards the end of all the repetitive zip-lining as I was mulling over the low-bid, unapreciated risk and difficulty and he job by the home-owner, and that we'd not had time even for a glass of water for the whole day. It should have been a good job, but there was just underlying bad feeling all round.

Yep 5 to 8" here and you know what that means when the snow starts flying...the calls stop, it might be an early end to the season this year

Heading out to finish a job and get my equipment back home. 6 - 12" of snow forecast for Saturday night. Unbelievable. :msp_angry:

damn, forget about Buffalo, you guys are becoming the "snow belt".

32 degrees here right now. As usual didn't winterize my sprayer yet.

Rained here much of yesterday so it's gonna be just cold and wet and dark today. Good news....making bags of money and life is good.:smile2:

Yeah, Reg, when that sledge hammer showed up way up in that tree it was almost like a commedian pulling out a gag prop from his bag lol. That sucks when things get uncomfortable from a low bid and you've gotta take shortcuts and worry all day.

Yesterday I bid 12 hun on an uprooting sug maple bending the electric service and going towards the house and pretty tall too. No equipment access so you'd have to be in the top in an active uprooting tree with no tree opposite to support it to and no tie off period as it was pita neighbor's property. Neighbor suggested a local fireman who moonlights and his bid was exactly half that. Could have fallen into a trap of taking the job away from him as they are regs, but I got plenty of work now and didn't. Will be fun to watch in increments today as this guy gets real scared in a tree.

I'm looking at 1-2 here Saturday. Got a bit last night as well though nothing stuck. I haven't turned on the heat yet. Laura's REAL happy about that!:biggrin: She doesn't think it will be worth the investment to put a wood stove in the house. Hahaha. I got plenty more sweatshirts too. Should be able to last a few more weeks, think that will be enough to get my point across. lol

Worked on the other half of a dressor I made a month ago

I worked on planing the rough cut 2x10 Poplar boards, and then cut them in half using the table saw and band saw. Now I just have to plan them down to 3/4" and then start gluing them together. Good project for my grandfather and me.

View attachment 204667
View attachment 204668
View attachment 204669

LOL, Actually, 4:26,, I have been doing 12 hour days for the last couple of weeks. I leave home at 4:45 and back by 5. Working at Sea Port Village down at the harbor. I hired a climber Monday and interview a hopeful yesterday. I could use 2 more climbers and a groundie.
Jeff

damn, forget about Buffalo, you guys are becoming the "snow belt".

32 degrees here right now. As usual didn't winterize my sprayer yet.

Rained here much of yesterday so it's gonna be just cold and wet and dark today. Good news....making bags of money and life is good.:smile2:

Yeah, Reg, when that sledge hammer showed up way up in that tree it was almost like a commedian pulling out a gag prop from his bag lol. That sucks when things get uncomfortable from a low bid and you've gotta take shortcuts and worry all day.

Yesterday I bid 12 hun on an uprooting sug maple bending the electric service and going towards the house and pretty tall too. No equipment access so you'd have to be in the top in an active uprooting tree with no tree opposite to support it to and no tie off period as it was pita neighbor's property. Neighbor suggested a local fireman who moonlights and his bid was exactly half that. Could have fallen into a trap of taking the job away from him as they are regs, but I got plenty of work now and didn't. Will be fun to watch in increments today as this guy gets real scared in a tree.

Hey, if he get's stuck you can always call the fire department.....

Here be the walnuts, power lines and all. Couldn't drop them as the neighbor is on oxygen and other medical devices, no biggie, we got em down to sticks, we had a real tight DZ and I was uneasy about all the phone lines and crap everywhere so I called a crane in. Second time ever that I worked with one, it went ok, but there were some picks that I didn't like, guess maybe I was just nervous as everything fine. Don't think this crane was really big enough tho, had same company before and they brought a bigger truck, I dunno. Still was nice being the most expensive! HO was very pleased when he came home. Got a tip!
First 5, gunna wait until later to post more, this thing is running very slooooooooow

BTW, first pic is of my new paper weight, it also holds my phones and calculator

Last edited:
I'm looking at 1-2 here Saturday. Got a bit last night as well though nothing stuck. I haven't turned on the heat yet. Laura's REAL happy about that!:biggrin: She doesn't think it will be worth the investment to put a wood stove in the house. Hahaha. I got plenty more sweatshirts too. Should be able to last a few more weeks, think that will be enough to get my point across. lol

I've been cutting like crazy at the new house in my spare time, squirreling away all the deadwood trees to include a big blue ash and a large pin oak. I had the chimneys checked out the other day. I've got one in the shop too.

I'll have to fire up the boiler sooner or later, but for now, if you are cold, start a fire.

Here be the walnuts, power lines and all. Couldn't drop them as the neighbor is on oxygen and other medical devices, no biggie, we got em down to sticks, we had a real tight DZ and I was uneasy about all the phone lines and crap everywhere so I called a crane in. Second time ever that I worked with one, it went ok, but there were some picks that I didn't like, guess maybe I was just nervous as everything fine. Don't think this crane was really big enough tho, had same company before and they brought a bigger truck, I dunno. Still was nice being the most expensive! HO was very pleased when he came home. Got a tip!
First 5, gunna wait until later to post more, this thing is running very slooooooooow

BTW, first pic is of my new paper weight, it alos holds my phones and calculator

A stuffed cat?? OMG! hope pita doesn't hear of this...;)

Nice work. I often wonder what these older folks that need constant power do in an outage? I'd think they'd consider putting some of that med money towards a generator.

Back