whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took out a good sized Norway maple today. Another referral from the local landscape place who used to refer my old boss, gotta love that. Didn't get any shots of the tree, but it was no biggie, cut and chucked the whole thing from the bucket with 2 setups. The stump was a beeyotch though. Huge mound, feeders everywhere and rocks galore! Had Eric hitting the feeder roots with the little PowerTek walk behind while I got the meat of it with the 630B. Poor, poor 630B, worked that old girl for about 4 hours straight. My bro was moving all the debris we made out to the dump trailer with the bobcat. Was easy work but boring, and lengthy. Pic didn't come out too well.

attachment.php

Thats pic I sent ya the other day was a norway stump that nearly destroyed one cutter but that 602 tore it up flat out there were surface roots everywhere and the landscaper wanted everything cut to a foot to install new drainage basin , I mean that machine with yellow jackets on it will take 3inches @ a swipe .... I cut a 40" silver in less than 15 minutes and I went liberal with the sides and surface roots I made almost 10 yards of chips from 2 stumps ....

Last edited:
Reg, nice photos and vid, nice precision work up there, as usual.

Do you use any particular method or means to allow for rapelling from the top of the tree, after it has been limbed out, in case of emergency? E.g. leaving a
stub to rap off of or using a false crotch of some kind?

Thats pic I sent ya the other day was a norway stump that nearly destroyed one cutter but that 602 tore it up flat out there were surface roots everywhere and the landscaper wanted everything cut to a foot to install new drainage basin , I mean that machine with yellow jackets on it will take 3inches @ a swipe .... I cut a 40" silver in less than 15 minutes and I went liberal with the sides and surface roots I made almost 10 yards of chips from 2 stumps ....

Yeah, a bigger stumper is definitely on the list, all I could think about today was that 752 I lost but...well...ya know. That 602 a shaft drive? What engine/horsepower on that?

Yeah, a bigger stumper is definitely on the list, all I could think about today was that 752 I lost but...well...ya know. That 602 a shaft drive? What engine/horsepower on that?

Deutz straight shaft driven, it is a beast , its not mine but after running it, I want one bad , my buddy has that and the 1102 , he a straight stump guy but sometimes he takes my loader out so we barter time .... He has less than 100hrs on that and basically bought the1102 and forgot all about it so I remind him when it leaves his driveway in a cloud of dust .....

Reg, nice photos and vid, nice precision work up there, as usual.

Do you use any particular method or means to allow for rapelling from the top of the tree, after it has been limbed out, in case of emergency? E.g. leaving a
stub to rap off of or using a false crotch of some kind?
I try to leave a stub no higher than 100 ft. My line is 215. Thanks

It could still drag a TECO to the scrap yard though. :)

while it is broke down boomed out all the way with the Teco boomed out looking down 20 feet above it???....

don't think so Mr. Casedei.:laugh:

off to a gigantic Convent to remove a dead eab 4' dia ash right over a children's school busy area today with crane, 75' teco, log truck, bc 2k all just about under the canopy. Tried to get em to treat with chems. they chose to pass on expense. nuff said.

we are selling firewood at blinding speed. all eab investments are paying off on all cylinders now including new commercial property. sawmill maybe to come soon.

Last edited:
Off to dump all the grindings and rakings on truck and trailer from yesterday's job. Then picking up the one ton from the shop. Had the front hubs replaced a few weeks ago. I didn't beat on them too hard but somehow blew them apart again. At least parts and labor were covered under warranty. Gotta be careful coming off lawns onto pavement in 4 low I guess. We had Warn's installed which I thought were a quality hub ( should be at $400 a pair ) but if they come apart again I'll have to go OEM at $450 a piece. And no, I don't roll around with them locked in.

while it is broke down boomed out all the way with the Teco boomed out looking down 20 feet above it???....

don't think so Mr. Casedei.:laugh:

off to a gigantic Convent to remove a dead eab 4' dia ash right over a children's school busy area today with crane, 75' teco, log truck, bc 2k all just about under the canopy. Tried to get em to treat with chems. they chose to pass on expense. nuff said.

we are selling firewood at blinding speed. all eab investments are paying off on all cylinders now including new commercial property. sawmill maybe to come soon.

I think 20' is a bit of a stretch there pops. I can always tell when I'm starting to really piss you off, you start butchering my name and bragging about yourself. It's all good though, just don't go gathering up your toys and running away on us again (lol). I'm happy that you have managed to aquire some equipment at your age. I'm not exactly working out of an S-10 either. Now put on your reading glasses and take a good look the door pops.. :laugh:

attachment.php

I think 20' is a bit of a stretch there pops. I can always tell when I'm starting to really piss you off, you start butchering my name and bragging about yourself. It's all good though, just don't go gathering up your toys and running away on us again (lol). I'm happy that you have managed to aquire some equipment at your age. I'm not exactly working out of an S-10 either. Now put on your reading glasses and take a good look the door pops.. :laugh:

attachment.php

That's a really nice chip truck MDS.. What'd it cost you?

Thanks. It's an 2002, I got about 38k into it with the paint and new body.

Got it warming up as we speak. gotta get the chipper and tractor inside the shop, they're still calling for 10+ inches of snow in my corner of the state. Joy!

The snow is supposed to be heavy and wet, should have trees and powerlines down everwhere.

The snow is supposed to be heavy and wet, should have trees and powerlines down everwhere.

I hear ya. I was thinking of this norway maple I just looked at, the tree is in full leaf still, and over two houses. I bid 3k on it. The tree is on a lake, has to be climbed, everything lowered and carried up the stairs. She told me she would get back to me in a week or so. I bet she's thinking now! lol.

Edit: oh yeah, they said something about 40 mph winds too. good thing the bucket can still be driven in a pinch!

Last edited:
I hear ya. I was thinking of this norway maple I just looked at, the tree is in full leaf still, and over two houses. I bid 3k on it. The tree is on a lake, has to be climbed, everything lowered and carried up the stairs. She told me she would get back to me in a week or so. I bet she's thinking now! lol.

Yup, you may be out doing an emergency roof extraction on that one, and doubling the price ;-)

I'm interested to see how much havoc this thing wreaks around my area. There are thousands of trees already weakened by Irene, and the tornadoes. Should get pretty real if it comes in like they say it is.

Latest posts

Back