whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracked a nice new concrete driveway today on a job we've been working at this week..:cry: Had the crane truck loaded to the gills with logs, just too much weight. He's a repeat customer and a good guy. Hate to tell him he's s##t out of luck but it clearly states on our contract NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CRACKED DRIVEWAYS DUE TO HEAVY EQUIPMENT. Not sure what to do here.. Going back over there tomorrow to grind all the stumps and talk with him..

Not to argue sj, but let me ask you,
'it clearly states on our contract NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CRACKED DRIVEWAYS DUE TO HEAVY EQUIPTMENT.
Does that give you the right to crack it? I mean, if it was your driveway, would you load the truck to the gills with logs? You admit it was too much weight.
Just wondering,
Jeff

Last edited:
Big Oaks

Two big oaks down and out. Dead and dry. Shattered to xxll on impact. Raked half the day. Worked the ass of our mini loading the big stuff. Need to find a bigger skid steer or articulated machine. PDL should of had your over to load the big stuff. Maybe nest time. Off for the wkend holiday.

Cracked a nice new concrete driveway today on a job we've been working at this week..:cry: Had the crane truck loaded to the gills with logs, just too much weight. He's a repeat customer and a good guy. Hate to tell him he's s##t out of luck but it clearly states on our contract NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CRACKED DRIVEWAYS DUE TO HEAVY EQUIPMENT. Not sure what to do here.. Going back over there tomorrow to grind all the stumps and talk with him..

Ever have them balk when they see that in your contract?

I need to add that to mine. Never had that problem before because if I have to go big I usually pick from the street but there is always a first.

Ever have them balk when they see that in your contract?

I need to add that to mine.

I dunno if it is a good idea. You see the same thing with some business establishments / restaurants that have signs saying "not responsible for lost / stolen items". Had a lawyer (client) once tell me that such signs really mean didley squat, and are only intended to keep most people from seeking redress.

Well, Every crane co I have ever signed a contract with has had that clause in their contract so they obviously think it's a good idea.

I think the intent of the clause is simply to discourage claims. Which is fine, except I don't think it is any bulletproof guarantee or gives any actual legal protection. Be interesting to hear a real lawyer's opinion on this. I find it interesting.

Woops...

My contact says somethingto the effect that due to the heavy equipment involved, property damage may result ...and by undersigning, the client agrees to these terms and conditions...
something like that. Not sure how legal it is?
:msp_thumbup:

Not to argue sj, but let me ask you,
'it clearly states on our contract NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CRACKED DRIVEWAYS DUE TO HEAVY EQUIPTMENT.
Does that give you the right to crack it? I mean, if it was your driveway, would you load the truck to the gills with logs? You admit it was too much weight.
Just wondering,
Jeff

well no it doesn't give anyone the "right"... but that is how I bid the job. Was kind of a small land clearing job and that was the most cost effective way to do it. He knew the risks and signed off on it. And no not too much weight for the truck.. That's why I have it on my contracts. There is a risk everytime your pulling heavy equipment on someones property no?

did you ask permission to bring the trucks on the drive? was he given the opportunity to say no?
in the contract the co I work for uses has a section where the customer initials yes or no to equipment on the drive

Yes, he knew exactly what was going on. We were clearing about an acre of woods in his back yard

Picked up a scale for the cranes on ebay. Price was right so i thought i would give it a try. its supposed to weight 10k.

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

It would be cool if you could post pics with the actuall weight of each one BUT I would make sure the scale was accurate before anything else. Did you get anything about how to dial it in or test it? I'd like to see you hook that up to a stump.

What would you estimate the cost to repair the driveway?

Not sure, snapped the corner off the edge of the drive (even after we beefed the crap out of that area with plywood) and another corner was cracked, which I really question.. Parked the truck there in the morning, about 6 feet from that area - empty.. And nothing was near there the rest of the day.. So if we did indeed do both cracks it would be 2 whole blocks.

Actually I think I'm more upset about it then he is. He called me up this morning and said could you guys be a little more carefull, you cracked the drive. Then asked when the stumps were going to be ground out. He is putting up another garage and driveway where we cleared.

It would be cool if you could post pics with the actuall weight of each one BUT I would make sure the scale was accurate before anything else. Did you get anything about how to dial it in or test it? I'd like to see you hook that up to a stump.

I havent gotten a chance to mess with it yet other than lifting my roof and it seems pretty accurate. you have to send them in for calibration. its supposed to be done after so many service hours.

Ill try and make a point of hooking it up to a stump next time to see the forces applied. it caps out at 10k tho. the winch has a lot more than that in it.

I havent gotten a chance to mess with it yet other than lifting my roof and it seems pretty accurate. you have to send them in for calibration. its supposed to be done after so many service hours.

Ill try and make a point of hooking it up to a stump next time to see the forces applied. it caps out at 10k tho. the winch has a lot more than that in it.

I was only half serious about the stump pulling, recoil might damage the scale but it would be interesting. Maybe just a pic or video of stumpin wit da crane. Looking forward to see what ya got with that scale.

I was only half serious about the stump pulling, recoil might damage the scale but it would be interesting. Maybe just a pic or video of stumpin wit da crane. Looking forward to see what ya got with that scale.

its usually not very violent. if it gets to extreme tension i call it off and bring in the grinder.

Heres a video of it pulling out a cherry stump if you already haven't seen it. it has impressed me I'm sure their are but it hasn't met a pine stump it couldn't pluck yet. a lot of it has to do with leverage on a say 40 inch pine ill leave a 12 foot trunk to pull on.

has been pretty sweet to get the normal grinding charge and not having to bring out a grinder one strap and about 5 minutes its all over.

Stump Removal - YouTube

Last edited:

But i will stress pulling stumps with machinery is limited. its not gonna do a giant oak or something of that species or similar.

you will get killed trying if that hook comes flying back with 20k of force on it, it would be like an ICBM

Ahh you boys with yer cranes and big trucks and always toutin bout it, you ain't gonna go where I go and if ya did you'd be crying. Anybody be crying, hills is tough.

The last time i was here I backed in with the dump in 4lo with the hubs unlocked. I made it up but had problems when the tires got a little wet.

MaryHill005.jpg

then cocked the chipper in and pulled it in with the Dingo.

This time I just hooked the chipper up to my F150 and took the hill head on. I really wasn't surprised to find that it ran out of steam 2/3 the way up. It was Ok, I shifted into 4lo and the hubs locked without exploding so i was able to keep on up and going through. Motor would have but the rest wouldn't, no gear. I just ran some lilies over and once its up there I can jockey it around with the mini and blow chips anywhere. Bamboo is great to blow into.

MaryHill022.jpg

MaryHill026.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back