whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we work for a different variety of customers tho. i do have some smaller rigs. but for the next few months my hands are tied up by the railroad. we have so much chipping to do we paid another tree company out in ohio to bring their semi in with the walking floor trailer.

if you go on tree trader theirs a bandit 1900 whole tree chipper its still listed but marked sold. we just picked it up for this job that mofo is bad Azz. we will probably sell it once we are done. 9x out of 10 its to big.

Last edited:
My main goal right now tho is to beef this raccoon up enough so he can carry a throw ball line up into trees for me. i wont have to carry the big shot anymore. he's checkin out arborist site with me now. i tell you at around 9:30 this little thing goes buck wild and starts eating my house. i gotta get him a little harness and get him pulling a little tire around like rocky, so he can do a few 80 ft climbs a day.

IMG_6395.jpg

Last edited:
Financing used chipper + or -

I have been fighting my chuck and duck chipper and have been trying to save for a nicer used chipper but every time I turn around somthing comes up and I seem to stay around 4-5k .
I posted this in heavy equip but thought I would put a link here takes a long time to get a response down there some times I got approved and now walking the floor over the decision, also what is my 1600 chipper worth? I paid 5300 back in 05 had a rebuilt 300 ford and new clutch, just changed the knives, and have a dull set, and one more sharp set, has a winch on toung to load logs and a aluminamn saw box on toung too.It is ugly but runs good and beats trailering brush 3:1. and its simple,
View attachment 239278

http://www.arboristsite.com/large-equipment/200953.htm#post3670167

Thanks Paul

This weeks been insane! Got another fire related insurance on on top of the one we are doing right now.....they want it done by tomorrow. So I have to split our crew up this morning to tackle that one, and then get back to the one we are on. Supposed to rain tomorrow too! Oh well, dealing with charred wood makes us look like miners by then end of the day! Managed to get one of 2 underbody boxes on my chip truck last night, they look sweet! Got a 3'er for the drivers side and a 4'er for the passenger side. Have a safe one everybody:msp_thumbup:

What would you estimate the cost to repair the driveway?

About a half day of tree work at my buddies house who's a concrete guy. Had him come over there today and have a look. Gonna trade some work for work, and he's getting more work from my customer too.

I figure I'll just bite the bullet and make it right rather then claim it on my insurance or drag it to court and lose a good customer.

Phone has been ringing off the hook today. All my help is going out of town for the weekend. I would like to work but can't blame anyone for wanting to do their thing on Memorial Day. Gonna try to get a bunch of crap done in a half a day tomorrow. I got an emergency call to go look at first thing in the morning. Pecan with a split trunk. Gonna bring a come along and secure it if I need to until next week. Got a decent prune job to do and two more to go look at after I cut my guys loose.

No plans for the weekend really. Gonna do some work on my Cadillac.

I hate to write guy's up for their screw-up's, but I have to, and writing them up actually make's them better. I gave a written warning to one of my guy's for not having the out-rigger pad under the out-rigger on the side that was on the street. Yeah, he said he did not think it a big deal being on the street. I reminded him that kind of attitude is what cause's the mind-set that make's you feel it is OK in your mind. So then you probably forgot to put the pad on the other side and now what what do you say. This is 1 week after I wrote him up after this.
View attachment 239327
I hate it when I have to try to not make them feel bad, but Damn, I bought nice pad's and if you don't use them everytime the out-rigger's are out, I will write you up!
Jeff

Wow Jeff! After seeing that I'd write theBastid up too. Heres your choice put the damn pad down or pay to fix the cement. It is your choice.

Same here as far as I know. But you can make them fell like a POS. If more people took responsibility for their actions, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in, oops wrong thread. :hmm3grin2orange:

Don't think I did not get that, you know I did--good one! (invisible de-rail), :msp_smile:
Jeff

did he really set his outrigger up on the edge of that driveway like that? even with a good pad i think thats kind of risky. i would encourage them to move in or out more. anywhere their is a joint or a stress cut for concrete their is a better chance of breaking.

i have had some massive cranes on driveways. and if you distribute the weight right its not an issue. i got a set of scales off of ebay. so i can weigh my trucks on each tire. the bigger truck (Tandem) actually puts down less pressure with a full load per tire.

when i do crane picking out of a driveway i put down 3-4 8 foot sheets off plywood. then two 3 foot synthetic pads layer out side by side and then a home made wooden pad.

I've put my scale under this and it drastically reduces the pressure. just food for thought. if the right precautions are taken it should be next to impossible to crack the concrete. (within reason)

examples: old already cracked. or improperly installed. they use a wire mesh now that in my mind is no where near as strong as good old fashioned rebar.

I put an 80 ton in a driveway last Summer. They used a bunch of cribbing and it came off like a champ. Did some massive picks too. Lifted about 30' of a 3' Oak and nearly the same sized pine that was stacked on top of each other through a roof. Lifted both trunks separately off of the house. I was sweating it but no cracks TG.

Got a sweet pine to do in the AM that was put as a dangerous tree by the township. About 65-70 tall. when i was checking it out i wish i wouldn't have pulled so much out with my hand now lol.

IMG_7867.jpg

IMG_6106.jpg

I put an 80 ton in a driveway last Summer. They used a bunch of cribbing and it came off like a champ. Did some massive picks too. Lifted about 30' of a 3' Oak and nearly the same sized pine that was stacked on top of each other through a roof. Lifted both trunks separately off of the house. I was sweating it but no cracks TG.

i don't doubt it. 80t is getting up their in weight. but with the right precautions you can spread out the PSI. a monster rig like that a lot of times has enough tires that its putting down similar pressure as a single axle.

the outriggers are the only downfall where you get a lot of pressure built up in one spot. I've gone as far as using 5 foot 6x6's built up like a log cabin i guess is the best way to describe it.

if i took my single axle boom in a driveway and stuck 7 ton off the side of it with a weak pad or no pad it would bust a 5-6 inch slab in a second.

im gonna be screwing with the trucks on memorial day. all the family comes over and wants to go for rides. so ill try and get some pictures of the weight without and with the pad setup i use. its drastically different.

i bought the scales off ebay a few years ago because i was really worried about being overweight. up here i run a lot of highway and am really afraid of getting the hammer on being overloaded. my smaller bucket is under cdl and is super easy to overload.

i personally would never buy another under CDL bucket you can only fill it about half way up and still be legal. with a load of just maple chips i weighed in at 29k which is 4k over. load of oak or similar is really easy to get over 30k.

it has an 11 foot box on it also.

Last edited:
Spent the last 2 days on 2 big sugar maples. Brushed them out from the bucket and left 60 foot spars on the first day. Left the ropes in them over night and Murphed them down yesterday morning. Spent the whole day stumping and cutting the wood up for the HO. He's got an outdoor burner. And now has a helluvalot of wood to feed it. My poor 630B took some serious abuse yesterday. The machine is slow, but it gets it done. Of all the equipment we own, this one has had the least issues, it just takes a beating. It doesn't owe us a damn thing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And now my favorite weekend of the year gets under way. Gotta load the yota up with a few saws and lots of climbing gear, wraptor, GRCS, etc., and of course 2 kegs of beer. Heading down to some friends house for the weekend. Big party, horseshoes, beer, steaks, off roading, bonfire, and just a good time. Probably try to set up a zip line or rope swing tomorrow morning. And best of all, no cell phone service! Can't wait.

attachment.php

Back