whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I am still freakin out about dropping out of them. Just cannot justify the cost anymore. I lost money on them. Beings there is no regs, and the phone book peeps could care less what someone puts in their add, whether its true or not. Our books are FILLED with ex con/druggie toppin hacks, but their add says Certified Arborist! Very hard to separate myself from them in the book. All digital media and ValPak. Although the numbers dont lie, I still am real nervous about it.
Have had calls "we didnt see your add in the book, you still operating" This from people who I believe are other services wishing for my demise!

I hear what you're saying. Around here I do think people still use them.. especially older people. I know just yesterday a got a call where the lady said "I saw your add in the phone book..", so I don't think I'm ready to bail out just yet. Hell there have been years where one job out of the book could be several thousands. What's nice for me about this years book, is the few that kept decent sized adds are legitamate tree services, so I feel got a good shot bidding against them.

What I am going to do next year is drop that useless Yellow Book POS. I love how I signed for the year again, and when the book comes, I find out they shrunk it to the size of a paperback - without even telling the people that are the only ####ing reason they have jobs!! WTF is up with that?? Nice move, I'm sure the profit margin went way up (short term) on that deal! I was #####ing about it to one of their bill collectors the other day (lol), he says "actually it's much more used friendly". User friendly my ass! I was talking to a buddy the other day, he says he never resigned with them, and they just put his add back in anyway and kept right on billing. Amazing.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying. Around here I do think people still use them.. especially older people. I know just yesterday a got a call where the lady said "I saw your add in the phone book..", so I don't think I'm ready to bail out just yet. Hell there have been years where one job out of the book could be several thousands. What's nice for me about this years book, is the few that kept decent sized adds are legitamate tree services, so I feel got a good shot bidding against them.

What I am going to do next year is drop that useless Yellow Book POS. I love how I signed for the year again, and when the book comes, I find out they shrunk it to the size of a paperback - without even telling the people that are the only ####ing reason they have jobs!! WTF is up with that?? Nice move, I'm sure the profit margin went was up (short term) on that deal! I was #####ing about it to one of their bill collectors the other day (lol), he says "actually it's much more used friendly". User friendly my ass! I was talking to a buddy the other day, he says he never resigned with them, and they just put his add back in anyway and kept right on billing. Amazing.

They told me that the smaller book gets stacked on top of the bigger ones. The phone books have their place and work. I think they are priced high but one call can pay for the ad and that one job can lead into referrills and repeat business. You have to think of it has an expense for the business. I wish it were cheaper, I spend 3000 a year on three books. It seems the calls go in spurts, might go three months and no calls then get ten calls.

Going to watch my daughters soccer game then working on a letter to submit to customers ins company as to why there storm damaged maple needs removed. Right now I am learning to use this IPhone 4s. Gotta see if this posts up. Then maybe move on to posting pictures.

Went to do 3 estimates today, think they went well. Picked up a check from one job, and did a consultation. In the hurricane the lady had a rotten oak tree snap over her shed. Called a couple guys, wound up hiring a local idiot. Guy brings in a small crane, destroyed her yard, and due to a mechanical failure trashed the shed.... sounds like they overloaded the crane somehow... either the block was not properly attached, or the cable snapped.

You should modify it and turn it into a Biener 2000. I can show you the schematics on mine:jester:

Nah, I'm done.

Someone gave me a used leaf vac and a snow blower, I tinkered with them, they ran and worked, I put them in the shed, tried the leaf vac once, put an ad under the FREE section on CL.

Now it seems its come round to the ####ing cub cadet. Thanks for the motivation AA, I have been trying to get off that #### for sometime.

Went to do 3 estimates today, think they went well. Picked up a check from one job, and did a consultation. In the hurricane the lady had a rotten oak tree snap over her shed. Called a couple guys, wound up hiring a local idiot. Guy brings in a small crane, destroyed her yard, and due to a mechanical failure trashed the shed.... sounds like they overloaded the crane somehow... either the block was not properly attached, or the cable snapped.

What I noticed with some of these crane owners is that they believe the machine can do anything, they refuse to believe there is something that could stop it. Once they get away with some crazy #### it gets more and more grand from there.
I applied at a company, this sob says, " we do some hairy ####" and meant every word. He didn't even smile when he said it and I sure aprreciate that over anything else. He had a smaller articulating crane which seems a pain to me. Slow to get the boom out. The crane was operated via a wireless remote box and it made for fun when you had to stop and watch this A-hole change the ####ing batteries.

Last edited:
I believe this guy is hooked up with somebody who bought a very small boom truck... not sure the capacity, but I was told it's only on a 6 wheel chassis.

got a call last eve from a buyer, i won the bid on a 120 acre plot of walnuts and white oaks! woo hoo! 75 cents a BF on an estimated 115,000 BF scheduled for harvest begining the week after thanksgiving. looking to be a very good year, already set up for 180,000 BF between three other jobs, not gonna count my chickens be for they hatch but at this rate it will be the best season on reccord for me. still have 4 more active quotes waiting to hear back on.
hired a new guy this afternoon, he use to work for one of my customers as a log buyer, has 35 years in the industry in all aspects of it, i've worked close with him for the past couple years and have high hopes on the relationship to come.
also looking at bringing on a new young gun, he's 17 and fresh off the farm with a hankerin for wood. first met him last spring when we harvested some of his families property, he was out there every day wantin to work. reminds me alot of me at his age, (not that it was that long ago) bustin his balls always tryin to outdue the best just for his own satisfaction. dont see that much anymore in kids these days. think i might put him under the wing of my log scaler buckin logs on the landings and see how it goes.

On sat. the wife and I went up to foresthill, in the sierra nevada mts. for a drive and some hiking.

The first pic is a massive sugar pine at Sailor Flat, at over 6000ft. elevation, looks to be about 10 to 12ft. DBH

The cedars were struck by lightning and hollowed out....just a fun day in the hills

IMG_1520.jpg

Wife was wondering how this cedar was still standing

IMG_1524.jpg

Another burnt cedar with small black oak to the right
IMG_1523.jpg

That last Pic looks like a "DANGEROUS" tree....I mean a very "DANGEROUS" Tree...whaddya think AA?

LXT............

That last Pic looks like a "DANGEROUS" tree....I mean a very "DANGEROUS" Tree...whaddya think AA?

LXT............

Pretty sure we'd need a certified tree risk assessor to make the call on that one.

Went to look at a job this morning, referral from a good client. The house is in an area that I don't like working in due to the roads... friend tells me that trucks have been lost up there in the past. Get up there, take a look around... lady tells me that they are going to have somebody come in and prune this one HUGE red oak that sits up on a rock face... guyed to a BIG tulip. They want a price for removing some rotten smaller tulips in some landscaped gardens... shopping it around. Told her I'd give a formal estimate if they wanted, but was overall not too keen on working in the neighborhood. Friend of mine worked a few houses down from there a couple weeks ago, had to fight just to get his bucket truck into the road.

Sold a 1/2 cord of euc. to a friend today, when done unloading wood, I went to end of his court to turn around , thats when an older guy flaged me down and said he had 2 dead birch tree's in his back yard and wanted a bid...got the job tomorrow. :D

Left the boys to prune a big cottonwood and euc, then went to grind a couple stumps. My alpine magnum did this 4' ash in about 3 hours. (sorry for the lousy pic- I am not good with computers!

View attachment 204337

question for you i need a small stump grinder and keep looking at the dosko walk behinds but keep hearing about the alpine magnum. but when i watched the video's of him on thier site he uses it to till around the stump without the teeth on the disk first to keep from dulling out the teeth. do they dull out real easy? compared to a regular grinder. is this somthing that you should do or if you dont will your teeth just crap the bed?

Latest posts

Back