whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
y2asaqu7.jpg
found this on cracks list just now 90k miles air 4x4 7.3 turbo , 15,500 , I dunno seems pretty decent maybe I will take a ride and check it out

Right, auto is a deal breaker for me too.. not so sure how the bark mulcher body in disguise would hold up if you wanted to do wood with it either.

I think I could cure that with 3/4 plywood lined , but I mean it's the right engine and the mileage seems right , and there's no rot on the frame at all , I don't the 350 needs help , it ain't cutting it with its tiny little 9 ft body anymore , and it would look bad ass with the cornshredder hooked to it , I would not have to paint either to match the other just tags and some door lettering right rummy !

I think I could cure that with 3/4 plywood lined , but I mean it's the right engine and the mileage seems right , and there's no rot on the frame at all , I don't the 350 needs help , it ain't cutting it with its tiny little 9 ft body anymore , and it would look bad ass with the cornshredder hooked to it , I would not have to paint either to match the other just tags and some door lettering right rummy !

Right on, Fatbody!! Lol. :cheers:

I actually enjoy the snow , well at least when I get my check I do !

I used to really love it too. Over the last few years it just seems like dredgery anymore. The price of fuel, trucks getting the crap beat out of them. I live in the snow belt, it can snow 2-3 inches everywhere else and we get a foot around here. Then the calls come in, my driveway wasn't plowed... When in fact it was.. 3 times.. Being on call 27-7.. christmass, new years.. After almost 20 years I'm just not feelin it anymore

I don't do the residential thing at all , we do all commercial per hour work and I don't fuel my machines they do for 40 cents cheaper then the pump , they keep track of it and bill me for it or deduct directly off the total which is sweet , all I have to do is literally work not chase fuel or work just plow , 2 loaders with boxes and 1 truck maybe 2 typically 8/10 hours the first day , then the same to clean dumpsters handicraps , and mailboxes , and then if it gonna snow again we get paid to push the snow back further or move it out , I have one condo/town home site that's where we stay the whole time

Last edited:
I don't do the residential thing at all , we do all commercial per hour work and I don't fuel my machines they do for 40 cents cheaper then the pump , they keep track of it and bill me for it or deduct directly off the total which is sweet , all I have to do is literally work not chase fuel or work just plow , 2 loaders with boxes and 1 truck maybe 2 typically 8/10 hours the first day , then the same to clean dumpsters handicraps , and mailboxes , and then if it gonna snow again we get paid to push the snow back further or move it out , I have one condo/town home site that's where we stay the whole time

Sounds like a good way to go. If I keep doing this I'm getting out of residential..

Just got back from looking at this one. Its probably close to 90', maybe one usable crotch that's not directly leaning over the house. No crane access either. I came recommended by two other customers in the neighborhood. There are some other trees and some trimming too. I just threw what seemed like a fair number at it. We'll see. Don't know what people are thinking, but that's old news.. lol.
View attachment 257257

Maybe I can just get murph to plunge cut it from under the deck.. Hahaha.

Last edited:
Just got back from looking at this one. Its probably close to 90', maybe one usable crotch that's not directly leaning over the house. No crane access either. I came recommended by two other customers in the neighborhood. There are some other trees and some trimming too. I just threw what seemed like a fair number at it. We'll see. Don't know what people are thinking, but that's old news.. lol.
View attachment 257257

Speedline it.

View attachment 257257

remember the one when murph peeled rubber and yanked that one top like 245 feet over a hedge well I think this is a situation that calls for that technique :msp_wink: and you only have to go like what 8 feet?

remember the one when murph peeled rubber and yanked that one top like 245 feet over a hedge well I think this is a situation that calls for that technique :msp_wink: and you only have to go like what 8 feet?

What? Which thread is that one in i gotta see this. Speaking of Murphen stuff, spent close to 8 hours in a large oak friday that was hanging over a road, fence, and hv lines. Brushed it all out and had a 25' spar left, about 42" DBH. Thought to myself hell ill just pull this thing over. Face cut, bore cut, back cut, stuck a wedge in just cuz. Pulled the saw out and told my guy in the truck to pull ahead. It was headed over when my 5/8's 16 strand rigging line snaped. Said outloud: Self, this is no good as the spar sat back on my wedge and stoped. Long story short i got it on the ground and said F Murphen stuff down. Do it the right way from here on out. I will admit i wouldnt of had a problem if i didnt leave so much hinge wood but still...

View attachment 257257

Paul I have one like that lined up for Tuesday on an island. but closer to the cottage. Will get lot's of pics. i priced it appropriately as well..... a lot of $$$$:msp_biggrin: Only thing is it's water 15' away. Going to be a good one, plus 4 others just to Murph down after that one.

What? Which thread is that one in i gotta see this. Speaking of Murphen stuff, spent close to 8 hours in a large oak friday that was hanging over a road, fence, and hv lines. Brushed it all out and had a 25' spar left, about 42" DBH. Thought to myself hell ill just pull this thing over. Face cut, bore cut, back cut, stuck a wedge in just cuz. Pulled the saw out and told my guy in the truck to pull ahead. It was headed over when my 5/8's 16 strand rigging line snaped. Said outloud: Self, this is no good as the spar sat back on my wedge and stoped. Long story short i got it on the ground and said F Murphen stuff down. Do it the right way from here on out. I will admit i wouldnt of had a problem if i didnt leave so much hinge wood but still...

That's why you shouldn't use a truck to pull over trees. Lesson learned. Use a rope puller, 5:1 fiddle block set or GRCS if you have it. Lot's of guys use trucks to pull, but over tensions the rope and does what it did to you. Plus sounds like you had too much hinge like you told us.

Pulling, a pull line with a truck was a fireable offence when I was coming up, back in the 70's. Also you don't know how much damage your doing to the rope for later use.

Have fun with that one.... Looked at two like it and they give you that stupid look when you tell them how much....

Funny story for the week....
Norway Spruce middle of tiny back yard with an arched gate built by and for Gnomes.
Price to drop and clean up is three times as much as just drop and leave. I 'splain to them that I am leaving a MESS if I just drop and leave. Okay, do it, we will clean it up. Did it leaving everything too big to get through gate and they hire some jackhole crackhead for a Franklin who rips down the gate, fence, tears siding off house and damages their car which they didn't think was necessary to move. Apparently he was using some stretchy rope to pull stuff out of the pile and his fellow druggy couldnt hear him yelling to stop. They (customers) call me screaming cuz its MY FAULT!? Expect me to come out and clean it up minus the 100 they paid Team Crack, plus discount for aggaravation, and, the kicker, I am supposed to meet with their Homeowners for the damage.
I told them it would have been cheaper to pay a professional to do the whole job right in the first place, you got what you paid for, and it's not my problem. I love my job.

Back