whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Santa came early! Sold my 2014 Vermeer 650tx aka "the sprinkler" (I couldn't keep hydraulic oil in it!) The guy who bought it had to have another one. He says he needs 2 because one is always broken and he has a ton of spare parts for the 650s. I couldn't argue with him!! BMG grapple is sitting at my parcel pick up place in Port Huron MI and I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I am not buying anymore Vermeer garbage. I baby my equipment, wash it every Friday afternoon, grease regularly, oil changes every 200 hours, new filters as per the maitenance schedule and that Vermeer was junk at 500 hours. Track blew in half at 300 hours, Vermeer wouldnt Warranty it, a tube inside rad blew at 450 hours causing hydraulic oil to piss all over a customers yard. $1200 for rad and another $1000 in labour, had an "O" ring blow in a valve box and leak hydraulic oil all over a customers driveway at under 100 hours, the big bolt head that you crank on to tension the tracks were about to bust right through the plate on both sides because it's not think enough and If I put anymore weld on the Vermeer grapple the machine wouldn't be able to pick it up!! Oh and about half a dozen new hydraulic hoses on it too. I was too pissed off to even give the new Vermeer 725 a shot, I hope ditch witch is the answer!
image.jpg

I bought my SK650 from Brandt.
It doesn't like starting when it's very cold outside. I don't either.
Have 600+ hours on it now. No TLC.
Came equipped with narrow tracks, which I replaced with wider aftermarket (Contrax in Mississauga, iirc) ones.
It's been a reliable workhorse. Has only thrown a track once, and I only check tension on them once in a blue moon.

If MDS were to send out Christmas cards I'd like to see them, what would be on the front?

01d698b4a71ec47fc7f6b1ebe6abae1a.jpg
. I'm going cross-eyed and stir crazy running this scroll saw I think I'm gonna take a break to go piss rev my 440 then polish it for an hour or so before I get back to these ornaments ....... There playing Christmas music every now and then on the classic rock station I think my ears are bleeding

Jesse

Not a very good pic. Just a cold, windy and relatively uncooperative day. We got done exactly what I had figured by 3:00 though. Was nice to have the one ton to chip into while I dumped the big truck. Got it closer for the maple here too. Pretty good day.

IMG_20151219_132638_418.jpg

I bought my SK650 from Brandt.
It doesn't like starting when it's very cold outside. I don't either.
Have 600+ hours on it now. No TLC.
Came equipped with narrow tracks, which I replaced with wider aftermarket (Contrax in Mississauga, iirc) ones.
It's been a reliable workhorse. Has only thrown a track once, and I only check tension on them once in a blue moon.

I knew you had a ditch witch, Devon told me you liked it. The cold starting is just a kubota thing I think. I found out about Contrax after vermeer screwed me $650 for a new track. They had one in stock and the machine was sitting in a customers yard not able to move so they had me! I am gonna burn off the tracks that are on it and get a set of 9" I think. I also got the single drive control put on instead of the two stick drive control, its just what I have gotten used to with the vermeer. I really like the grease cylinder to tighten the tracks. Fast and easy, no BS like on the vermeer. It also really fast and has full speed reverse unlike the vermeer. We reverse quite a bit dragging brush and that vermeer was so slow. Picked up my BMG grapple today just in time to let it sit in the shop for January and February while I am in the sunny south.

01d698b4a71ec47fc7f6b1ebe6abae1a.jpg
. I'm going cross-eyed and stir crazy running this scroll saw I think I'm gonna take a break to go piss rev my 440 then polish it for an hour or so before I get back to these ornaments ....... There playing Christmas music every now and then on the classic rock station I think my ears are bleeding

Jesse

Step 1: Smash the radio

Step 2: Use your 440 instead of the scroll saw to make those.

Problem solved! Wait, why are you making those again?

Step 1: Smash the radio

Step 2: Use your 440 instead of the scroll saw to make those.

Problem solved! Wait, why are you making those again?
#1. It's not the radios fault its the yuppies at the radio station that program that ********
2 I did use the 440 originally to cut the thing down and mill out the cant on my Alaskan mill

Problem not solved I still have to make these stupid ornaments because Im to cheep to buy garbage for ppl and giving ppl garbage is whats " socially acceptable " for this ******** holiday ...... But hey I'm almost dun just need to glue one more side and douche them in linseed oil wrap them in a solo cup

Jesse

IMG_20151219_125910435_zps8x6llkes.jpg

IMG_20151219_160531023_zpsqu4lu7yc.jpg

IMG_20151219_160519111_zpsceosbnlw.jpg

Cut, split and stacked this afternoon. Mostly Locust, a wee bit of hedge, one dirty old piss elm, and some cedar.

Got to use my home built splitter, cylinder developed a large leak. I'm guessing the dust seal and o rings are toast. Hooray, rebuild time.

Santa came early! Sold my 2014 Vermeer 650tx aka "the sprinkler" (I couldn't keep hydraulic oil in it!) The guy who bought it had to have another one. He says he needs 2 because one is always broken and he has a ton of spare parts for the 650s. I couldn't argue with him!! BMG grapple is sitting at my parcel pick up place in Port Huron MI and I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I am not buying anymore Vermeer garbage. I baby my equipment, wash it every Friday afternoon, grease regularly, oil changes every 200 hours, new filters as per the maitenance schedule and that Vermeer was junk at 500 hours. Track blew in half at 300 hours, Vermeer wouldnt Warranty it, a tube inside rad blew at 450 hours causing hydraulic oil to piss all over a customers yard. $1200 for rad and another $1000 in labour, had an "O" ring blow in a valve box and leak hydraulic oil all over a customers driveway at under 100 hours, the big bolt head that you crank on to tension the tracks were about to bust right through the plate on both sides because it's not think enough and If I put anymore weld on the Vermeer grapple the machine wouldn't be able to pick it up!! Oh and about half a dozen new hydraulic hoses on it too. I was too pissed off to even give the new Vermeer 725 a shot, I hope ditch witch is the answer!
View attachment 471283
Sry you have had your fill of the 650tx. I've had mine for around 3 yrs and over 900 hours on it so far.

I had issues with the hydraulic pump separating from the engine a few times, but they came out with a upgrade fix for that. I'm also on my second set of vermeer tracks, and getting close to third. But I'm going with Diamond prowler tracks...better price and turf friendly. I throw a track every once in awhule, if on rocky ground and not set right, but only takes about 5 mins to get it back on.

Other then that , I haven't had any major issues and I wouldn't give it up. Even if I upgrade to the 725 or 800, I doubt I would sell/trade in this unit

Owner/operator of Climb High Tree Service established in 2002
www.climbhightree.com
https://m.facebook.com/ClimbHighTreeService
https://www.youtube.com/user/climbhightree
https://www.youtube.com/user/2treekiller2

Back