What a SISSY !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
afraid of snakes? nope. Bees? oh yes. Most of the snakes in VA aren't venimous but just about all the bees can kill me.

Had a nice visit with scooterbum last Saturday wilhst in Edinburg......I just had to run up to Woodstock....had a craving for Shaffer's homemade pimento cheese spread...

Yes, I'd say you're a sissy for being afraid of snakes. They don't bother me in the least. I'm a real man.

(I run like a girl from spiders, though!!! Waaahh!!!) :cry::cry::cry:
You would die if you was wih me a few times. Had to crawl under a house and spiders were everywhere. had to crawl through the webs and they was biting me like crazy. Don't know what kind they were but they was eatin my butt up.

I don't mind spiders at all, don't kill 'em, don't let 'em bother me. Getting a faceful of web while walking through the woods or in the shed is another story though. Snakes aren't a problem either unless they startle me.

Being in NH, I have the luxury of not being afraid of snakes. There's water moccasins, to be sure, but 90% of what I see are harmless garter snakes.

Probly the only wildlife I'm the least bit timid about are skunks. Almost tripped on one last week whilst it was foraging for grubs.

Not afraid of possums, but I've been a bit leery of them since about 20 years ago. I was excavating an old midden site from the 1850s-80s beneath a lean-to addition. The attached shed had been built probably around 1900, based on the newest objects I unearthed.

Had to belly crawl under the lean-to (in other parts of the country, they use the more colorful term 'cat slide'). Maybe 2' of clearance from ground to joist. Came face to face on day 2 with a possum that had claimed that territory as its own. It was a less than hospitable host.

Amazing how quick you can go in reverse on your belly when properly motivated! :D

Then they used to love my firewood piles and would hatch babies in them! There is nothing worse then selling dry wood in the summer and while loading it sticking a bare hand into a ball of baby snakes in a wood pile because you were not looking at the piece of wood before you went to grab it. <shudders> Just talking about it makes the hair on the back of my neck and arms stand up!

One of these days, though, one of them is going to drop out of the T-bar ceiling in my basement just when my wife is doing some laundry, and you'll ALL hear the explosion! :D

Many of my relatives live in western Wisconsin, not far from the Mississippi River. My cousin parks her car in her garage with the windows open. She hopped in the car early one day to go to work and about 1/2 block from her home a fairly large snake wrapped itself around her ankles as she was driving the car....... :)

She parks her car with her windows closed now. :)

Shari

A term I learned down here in the South would work here for if any one of these instances happened to me...UNPACKED!!!

Seeing a snake on my own (instead of being surprised), is sorta okay with me. But if one ever wraps around any part of my body...I will come UNPACKED!

Kevin

You would die if you was wih me a few times. Had to crawl under a house and spiders were everywhere. had to crawl through the webs and they was biting me like crazy. Don't know what kind they were but they was eatin my butt up.

Uh-uh. Not me. Not in the same class as snakes for me...but close.

Kevin

reply to woodbooga

yea im not far from NH at all, and we have many rodents, skunks, possums, coons, prokypine, and this other one i dunno what it is yet, hedgehog maybe. but snakes arent venomus here really i seen a moccuson before, f that. i HATE HATE HATE snakes i usually kick em if i see a little one near me to get him away from me. i dunno but we was just talkin bout things in trees here a couple days ago. and i had said my uncle had a little garden snake pop out of a tree in curiousity when he was cutting it down one time. haha he said he nearly messed his britches. i never been stung by nest of bees or wasps yet. thank the lord for that. i usually get poked by a fern or pricker bush and end up getting the runs or hives once a summer.

yea im not far from NH at all, and we have many rodents, skunks, possums, coons, prokypine, and this other one i dunno what it is yet, hedgehog maybe. but snakes arent venomus here really i seen a moccuson before, f that. i HATE HATE HATE snakes i usually kick em if i see a little one near me to get him away from me. i dunno but we was just talkin bout things in trees here a couple days ago. and i had said my uncle had a little garden snake pop out of a tree in curiousity when he was cutting it down one time. haha he said he nearly messed his britches. i never been stung by nest of bees or wasps yet. thank the lord for that. i usually get poked by a fern or pricker bush and end up getting the runs or hives once a summer.

Used to use garter snakes to terrorize the other neighborhood kids - especially the girls I liked when we were like 10 years old. Nabbem by pinching at the neck betwixt thumb and index finger and wait in the bushes near where the neighbor girls were having a tea party.

Also too - it isn't much fun stepping on a nest of ground hornets. :censored:

I've got a huge cedar tree in my yard and several years ago we had a large number of chicken snakes, The birds loved that tree to nest in. The snakes would climb the tree and eat the eggs, These snakes were big. Some of them six and seven feet long. It was a never ending battle keepin those snakes out of the birds nest.

When i would see one i could reach, i would grab his tail and jerk him out of the tree, Chicken snakes are usually docile but after you rip one out of a tree and he smacks the ground, they are pissed and ready to fight.

I used to get tickled watching them when they hit the ground, They automatically hit the coil and strike position. Also they put out a very pungent odor when pissed.

if you got close enough they would bite you too, They aren't venomous so no harm. I always was having to remove them from my woodpile and my MIL's woodpile too. Now i didn't kill them cause i know they eat rats, but when you go to bring in wood and one of them shoots out in front of you, Well it's time to clean the undies out

use to amaze me how they climbed the tree, I would watch till they started to get out of reach then grab them. Also weird is when they did swallow an egg, they would constrict around a small tree or larger branch and bust the egg inside them.

i don't see any of them now, guess all the clearing and building going on has run them off.

Have a lot of stone walls all around the property and the walls are full of snakes. Mostly garter snakes, but will see the occasional copperhead sunning himself. Usually pull about 15 to 20 dead garters per year out of the pool sqimmer basket and will find one or two per year still alive swimming in the pool when I go out to clean in the morning. Snakes are good, they eat stuff that I don't like.

Welcome from another Western Mass guy. I would guess you are talking about a groundhog when you refer to "hedgehog, maybe". Very destructive with their digging, hence I shoot everyone I see.

My god how can grown outdoor folks can run from little bitty non-poisonous snakes?

Snakes, blech! But I can put a honeybee on my arm and let him sting me without a problem at all. I would not even flinch. I will walk up to a hive in shorts. I have been known to carry swarms of bees from one location to another with no shirt on. Many grown men will run like a sissy when they see a bee, and they are far, far smaller.

lifted my garage door one morning and heard something "plop" on the concrete on other end of door. A two foot long milk snake apparently had crawled onto the door to get warm. D@#n glad he didn't land on me. I don't mind snakes 'til they start getting some size or they startle you. If that would have landed on me I probably would have my shop torn to pieces trying to get out. Still gives me the creeps hearing that sound!

Anybody here ever eat snakes? If we find a big enough rattler in the woods it often winds up getting toasted on the warming fire. And, no, they don't taste like chicken. They taste like snake. White meat, flaky and tender. Chunk them up like shish-kabob, sprinkle some Zatarain's or whatever seasoning you prefer on the chunk and cook 'em over the fire like a hot dog. Good stuff.

Anybody here ever eat snakes? If we find a big enough rattler in the woods it often winds up getting toasted on the warming fire. And, no, they don't taste like chicken. They taste like snake. White meat, flaky and tender. Chunk them up like shish-kabob, sprinkle some Zatarain's or whatever seasoning you prefer on the chunk and cook 'em over the fire like a hot dog. Good stuff.

have heard that before--just never had the nerve--

have heard that before--just never had the nerve--

It's not a question of nerve. It's just another critter that makes tasty eating. I'm not wild about it but if it's a choice between fresh toasted snake and a soggy peanut butter and jelly sandwich that's been in my lunch bag for twelve hours I'll take the snake every time.

Back