What an airflter can be doing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what goes through the metal mesh filter...View attachment 503185
That's just gross, poor saw!

The wire mesh filters from my PS-6400 (2001.) & PS-7900 (2003.) have never been mounted on a saw and most likely never will be!
I strictly use the flocked filters.

Slightly off topic:
I lost two muffler bolts on my PS-7900 last Friday causing the muffler gasket to burn and blow off.
I fixed the issue yesterday (Saturday) and out of curiosity started the saw w/o the muffler - she was idling much higher causing the clutch to engage and pull the chain. I wasn't expecting that as the PS-7900's muffler is just an empty can with a bird cage inside (and in my case mildly modded to reduce flow resistance even more).
Once the muffler was back on the saw with a new gasket, my PS-7900 idled "normal" again, some 2500-2800 rpm.

That makes one think what the gains would be running a saw without an (restrictive) air filter and muffler?! ;)

The cons would be going deaf and the saw sucking in an unsuspecting passing bumble bee! :p

I lost two muffler bolts on my PS-7900 last Friday causing the muffler gasket to burn and blow off.
I fixed the issue yesterday (Saturday) and out of curiosity started the saw w/o the muffler - she was idling much higher causing the clutch to engage an pull the chain. I wasn't expecting that as the PS-7900's muffler is just an empty can with a bird cage inside (and in my case mildly modded to reduce flow resistance even more).
Once the muffler was back on the saw with a new gasket, my PS-7900 idled "normal" again, some 2500-2800 rpm.
With a semi-enclosed can at the exhaust outlet some of the fuel lost to scavenging gets pulled back into the cylinder before the exhaust port closes, along with burned exhaust gases. With no muffler the unburned fuel is lost, and just fresh air is pulled back in. This will lean the mixture. Also the spent exhaust gas that gets pulled in is inert gas, which takes up volume and does nothing, so it can be thought of as reducing displacement (this is how EGR works too).

So you leaned the mixture and slightly increased the effective displacement.

Latest posts

Back