What are you building with your milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what I have built with some flat sawn cedar planks. It is very simple, but I am not a carpenter or woodworker of any skill. It is certainly not up to the level of the other projects on this thread (Which are AWESOME!). This is a prototype for some other outdoor furniture I would like to build. I still have plenty of wide planks from the same piece of cedar. (See my thread "Cedar Milling").

attachment.php

attachment.php

very nice

Here is what I have built with some flat sawn cedar planks. It is very simple, but I am not a carpenter or woodworker of any skill. It is certainly not up to the level of the other projects on this thread (Which are AWESOME!). This is a prototype for some other outdoor furniture I would like to build. I still have plenty of wide planks from the same piece of cedar. (See my thread "Cedar Milling").

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow looks very nice keep up the good work...

Mark

I have always wanted to try my hand at an acoustic. Do you have a good book you can recommend to get me pointed in the right direction??

I learned alot from a book called A Guitar Maker's Manual by Jim Williams.It covers about everything and is on sale at Grizzly right now for 17.98.This book covers both classical and steelstring guitars. Hope this helps. Mark

Not exactly milled wood, but I cut it into blanks.....

Well, I didn't exactly mill it, but I did rip it into blanks to turn on my lathe....

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1444038#post1444038

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just showing off one of my recent pieces, a piece of spalted Hickory, probably picknut but I'm not 100% on that--possibly mockernut. It was a blowdown in one of the turning club members' yards. Thanks Paul Pierce! This was at and partially below ground level; the roots were totally rotted away, which caused the wonderful green and red/purple colors. The wood was absolutely solid, and no punky spots in the bowl at all. These were turned green, and cored with the McNaughton center saver. I did use black CA glue on a couple small hairline cracks that formed as the pieces dried. I soaked them in DNA and dried them very slowly in a double layer paper bag for a few weeks, then sanded and varnished them with Antique Oil. They are all between 1/8 and 3/16" thick, with approx. 1/4"-3/8" thick bases depending on the size bowl, to balance them. The largest started out at 13.5", but moved a LOT, to about 12.75. The others are about 10" and 6" at their widest. Although quite thin, Hickory is surprisingly heavy even at this thickness, and very dry in the winter in my wood heated shop.

I'm new to photography; this was just a box and some tissue paper, and a daylight spectrum incandescent bulb. Next time I take pics I'll have to come up with better lighting. The glare spots drive me crazy!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

WoW! Those bowls look real nice.Never thought hickery could look so good.Great Job!

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is just a simple 4x8-recycle shed that I build using 1”x 24” redwood boards. Two pieces are as wide as a sheet of plywood so it does not take many nails. I added a shelf on each side to give more room for sorting.

3384437450_7a52337615.jpg

Because it's pretty hilly 'round here, the trees fall over a lot. Sometimes they recover and get this amazing figure to the wood in the bends. Miserable wood to work with, but sure looks nice. That's the first bowl I ever turned...some maple cultivar I can't identify.

Last edited:
Not much of a woodworker, I made up a few of these turkey calls from various milled lumber several years ago. A life long deer hunter, I tried turkey hunting for the first time that season and gave a few of the calls away to buddies that came to visit for the hunt.

WBcall.jpg

Tcalls.jpg

callart.jpg

This one below caused me a terrible table saw accident. After that first hunting season, I wanted to make a showpiece for myself. When halving the cherry so that the grain on both sides of the turkey call would match, I slightly tightened my grip while reaching for a pusher stick to finish the cut. The wood exploded as the saw blade bound and wobbled. The gyroscopic force of the blade stopping caused the saw to jump. As it restarted my left hand was pulled into the saw. I thought I was impaled in the chest and groin by the flying wood and didn't realize for several seconds that I'd nearly cut my left hand in half. Surgery and recovery time, then I made sure to finish the pretty turkey call which now pains me every time I hold it. Be careful out there!

DSCN3160.jpg

Nice looking calls.Sorry to here about your saw accident.Table saws are very dangerous machines.I knew a guy that got hit in the chest from kickback and thought he was ok, but died in his sleep that same night from a brused heart.I think of him every time i turn mine on now.I use my bandsaw whenever i can instead now.

Nothing as beautiful as your handcrafted wood,..

but built a loft in my garage with the wood I made with my Alaskan.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Excluding the plywood and strapping,.. :dizzy::dizzy: :buttkick: :)

lol. I'm milling pond pine for flooring right now and all the cants are made I just have to decide 4/4 or 5/4, but I don't think I ever will again, I think I'm going to end up at about $7 bucks an hour if I compare to 3/4 t/g osb ($15 a 4x8 sheet).

Something to do with those face cuts

When you mill your own you end up will all sorts of interesting face cuts which unfortunately mostly end up on the firewood pile. Last year I milled this blue tipped leaf Jarrah and the wood was so purdy I couldn't bear to throw the face cuts on the wood pile so I brought them home with me - just like you would a puppy!

The other day SWMBO said I need a rustic style bowl made out of fence pickets or similar to displace her small crocheted string bags at a tourist shop so after a bit of phaphing about I made this out of one of of the face cuts.
attachment.php

It's not square and I should have been more careful about removing the excess glue but it sure is not going to come apart and SWMBO is just crazy about it!

The line between the heartwood and sapwood is something I have always liked. It can be a dificult thing to work with design wise, little room for error in keeping it lined up. add the live edge contrast like youve done and I can see why your wife likes it so much. Nice!

My first pen.

My wife and kids took me to the Woodcraft store in Lexington today and let me get a pen turning mandrel, a pen mill and a couple of pen kits for my upcoming birthday. Here are a couple of crappy cell phone pictures of my first pen, it was turned from some cherry scraps that I had in the shop. Thanks for looking. View attachment 95340

View attachment 95341

Latest posts

Back