What are you building with your milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!!!

My wife and kids took me to the Woodcraft store in Lexington today and let me get a pen turning mandrel, a pen mill and a couple of pen kits for my upcoming birthday. Here are a couple of crappy cell phone pictures of my first pen, it was turned from some cherry scraps that I had in the shop. Thanks for looking. View attachment 95340

View attachment 95341

What a great way to turn scraps into that!! Great job,,and that looked like tedious work!!!!

What a great way to turn scraps into that!! Great job,,and that looked like tedious work!!!!

Thanks Stipes. Its actually easier than you think. Cutting and drilling the blanks takes the most time. About five minutes of turning and finishing, a couple of minutes to press everything together and you have a pen. I went through the scrap bin last night and cut out several 3/4" X 3/4" blanks. In the mix is Cherry, Maple, White Oak, Cedar and Hickory.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Time has come to expand the business!!! I found a piece of commercial property with over 500’ of prime highway frontage for a very reasonable amount. So I added a new wing to the business.

This national forest style picknic table is my latest project. It has an 46"x9'2" table top that is 3" thick. the framwork is all 6x6.
attachment.php

Not sure what it weighs, but I did have to use the tractor to lift one end into the back of the truck then I was able to slide it the rest of the way in. When I unloaded it, I slid one end out and drove out from under the other end then rolled it into the upright position. The benches were a bit easier to handle.

My first project...

Made a small shelf for the kitchen for pot holders and to put spices on top...Made with sycamore and red oak from the woods...Isnt much,,but a start,,and had fun..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great work to all of you!! If have been snooping around here for some time and this is my first post. I got the alaskan mill last year and have been using a 372xp, but I have been looking for a 395xp as it has been real rewarding milling my own wood. I make muskie lures, using maple and cedar and living on about 80 acres of woods it was only a matter of time that I start using the trees from the property. Here are some pics of the finished baits.

Great work to all of you!! If have been snooping around here for some time and this is my first post. I got the alaskan mill last year and have been using a 372xp, but I have been looking for a 395xp as it has been real rewarding milling my own wood. I make muskie lures, using maple and cedar and living on about 80 acres of woods it was only a matter of time that I start using the trees from the property. Here are some pics of the finished baits.

Very nice lures. Great paint jobs too.

beautiful dzk-never saw anything nicer in the store. I would imagine some trial and error to get the the shapes/weighting just right for an action that simulates a real baitfish. Did you do the paint with an airbrush/yourself? Hey thanks for posting to everyone in this thread-very talented bunch! :popcorn:

Thanks for the compliments. When I first started it was alot of trial and error. I had alot of fire-starter sized wood! To much lead towards the front or back and the lure is shot.
When I got started I used spray cans and eventually graduated to an airbrush.

Chad

My second project,,coat hanger...

I know I'm starting out and learning and experimenting with things....A friend of mine wanted me to make her a coat hanger,,so I kinda too off on the first shelf design,,streched it out and ended with this.....I made it outta the sycamore and experimented with a dark stain this time,,a dark walnut...I was really suprised..I didnt think sycamore would look like this turned out...I'm still learning and reading........
Gonna quartersaw the next log I have down,,and been readin where you can pop the grain out like maple...Gonna give it a try............
I have a long way to go to make things like you all have,,and I hope I can at least get half as good as you all,,,some really beautiful pictures of what you all have made....I have enjoyed this,,and I'm wanting to learn....
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks Dustytools..

Terry,,,,Isnt like the work you all do....It's a start...I would love to make the things that I seen on here....Beautiful work.....I get so amazed what I seen....I ask myself can I do that,,,I think I can,,,I keep reading and will ask when I get stumped....
Things get settled down here I wanna have a milling GTG and have a fun day of it....Think that would be pretty cool....Damn rain,,so muddy I got stuck mowing the lawn.....I want a GTG here,,and enjoy and meet you all here in the area.......

Back