What are your firewood saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a normal problem on them.
I was not aware of it if it is, never seen itnin a discussion before. How do you check.
Im not sure how common of a problem it is but there was a serious gap between case and cylinder. When I kept finding more things wrong with it I offered it to a buddy at a good discount and his buddy was going to look at rebuilding. I haven't heard back if they want it yet.

I am guessing here, but why is most every one messing with small saws? I have an assortment of 30cc to 40cc saws, but do not use them very often. Many wood cutters just cut 2 to 4 cords of personal use firewood then they are done for the year. So buying a $1400 to $1800 saw would not be something most folks would consider. When I worked on the Fort Tejon Ranch in Southern Cal the average cutter would go through about 12 cords of Oak a day. I used two saws a 60cc for limbing and a 90cc for limbs larger than 10 inches. When cutting Pine currently use a 60cc for limbs and a 90cc for stuff larger than 12 inches. After an hour of cutting the saws seem to creep along not getting anything done. I am constantly thinking well maybe a supercharger is what is needed. So in many states and Canada where the trees only grow 20 inches or less works just fine? Is my understanding accurate or is there another view. Thanks

I am guessing here, but why is most every one messing with small saws? I have an assortment of 30cc to 40cc saws, but do not use them very often.
For most people, especially recreational cutters, a 50-55cc is about all they can handle for limbing duties. I use a 50 cc saw for limbing and small bucking. I have done plenty of limbing with my 60 cc saws too but that extra 2-4 lbs is very noticeable after a couple of trees.

My 30 cc class saws have the primary job of ATV and walking trail maintenance. I would much rather carry a 9 lb 30 cc saw than a 10-11 lb 50 cc saw or 13-15 lb 60 cc saw if I am walking a mile or more and usually only making a couple of cuts per tree.

Small saw:

IMG_20160730_1238304231_zpswe0abq3x.jpg

Big saw:

IMG_20160907_133611292_zpsebrgpuma.jpg

Went to another auction sale and picked up some stuff including these 2. 36" bar and chain, now I have 2 of them. The saw looks barely used, would like to know why it has a laser bar on it. I don't like the "easy" start system but it'll work until my 260 is back up and running. I bought a big vise for my work bench because the old one had one of the jaws broken and I was tired of it falling out whenever I opened it. New one of course wasn't the same bolt pattern, about 1/2" off. Darn, bar pic is fuzzy, it's an almost new bar and chain.
IMG_20160910_191206.jpg IMG_20160910_191212.jpg IMG_20160910_191217.jpg

Nice machine, Chipper1! That looks as good a shape as my saw, will post a picture soon. I try and take care of it. The saw runs like a beast and likes wood for dinner. [emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sometimes I really miss my 361. I bought a really nice one with a full wrap and big dawgs for $400 on Craigslist about 5 years ago. Almost brand new. Coulda scanned the barcode on the front. It sure was a nice saw. But either that one or dad's 036 had to go in order to fund an ms460. So, now I've got the 036, 460, and a 660 on the way. A good friend who never cuts any wood, but buys expensive things because someone told him to has a real nice 026 he bought new. Probably 4 hours on it. When he's ready, he'll pass it to me, and I'll have the 60 series covered. Then I'll have to find and 024, 034, 044, and 064 I suppose...

Sometimes I really miss my 361. I bought a really nice one with a full wrap and big dawgs for $400 on Craigslist about 5 years ago. Almost brand new. Coulda scanned the barcode on the front. It sure was a nice saw. But either that one or dad's 036 had to go in order to fund an ms460. So, now I've got the 036, 460, and a 660 on the way. A good friend who never cuts any wood, but buys expensive things because someone told him to has a real nice 026 he bought new. Probably 4 hours on it. When he's ready, he'll pass it to me, and I'll have the 60 series covered. Then I'll have to find and 024, 034, 044, and 064 I suppose...
I had a 26 Pro loved that saw as well. You have a great collection of saws. I always wonder what it would be like to get a MS 880 and throw a 20" bar and use it for bucking... [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back