What are your firewood saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you should just sell it to me lol.
I'm only kidding :).

How long are you talking about and does it drain the whole oil reservoir.

You may want to run thicker oil.

Loosen the reservoir cap to relieve any pressure that has built up from heat.

Make sure you clean under the clutch cover after using it or when you know you will be storing it for an extended time.
I try not to rev my saws to much when I'm done cutting as it just gets more oil on the bar and chain that will run off. I will spray them off with brake parts cleaner to get as much of the oil off the bar before putting them away. Care must be taken to keep the brake parts cleaner off the saw thoughand only on the B&C as it could fade or strip the paint.
Hope this helps.
Most of my huskies and Jreds leak bar oil they are just marking their spot!!
So I store them on carboard, once the cardboard get saturated I get new stuff.
With the old cardboard I cut into strips as it makes the best fire starter.
BBB[/QUOTE]
That's funny BBB.
I don't really have that problem with mine, is that a Canadian problem :laugh:.[/QUOTE]
I do the same thing my l 65 leaks like hell after running for a minute.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Vtromblcardboard t: 5974003 said:
Most of my huskies and Jreds leak bar oil they are just marking their spot!!
So I store them on carboard, once the cardboard get saturated I get new stuff.
With the old cardboard I cut into strips as it makes the best fire starter.
BBB
That's funny BBB.
I don't really have that problem with mine, is that a Canadian problem :laugh:.[/QUOTE]
I do the same thing my l 65 leaks like hell after running for a minute.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Hm I work on a cardboard factory no problem how many plates do you need

Firewood saws , birds eye view from the top of the pile

w-mbBA1bdyplEzRFl30f6qRQvS4rBgrmlJHdx_2pn2k3rqSsJqfuwEFKB8FsZjT4nwaX6ZlvAQ=w849-h805-no

Ground level

IMG_20160904_120934.jpg

I've ran a 20 inch bar on my 80cc and cut small stuff with it and I just don't get the hype. It doesn't care whether its 4 inch diameter or 24 it cuts the same. Which is impressive when you're bucking large wood but disappointing when you're cutting the small stuff and could drop 5lbs of weight and pick up some fuel mileage. Im not here to convince anybody to change what works for them. But a one saw do it all plan doesn't make sense to me.

I've ran a 20 inch bar on my 80cc and cut small stuff with it and I just don't get the hype. It doesn't care whether its 4 inch diameter or 24 it cuts the same. Which is impressive when you're bucking large wood but disappointing when you're cutting the small stuff and could drop 5lbs of weight and pick up some fuel mileage. Im not here to convince anybody to change what works for them. But a one saw do it all plan doesn't make sense to me.
I agree with that.

It dont make sense to me to carry three saws to cut up one tree. One to drop, one to trim and one to buck. I aint going to do it. I might carry three saws to the woods, but two of them will stay in the truck.
I feel the same way, You should always have at least 4 lol.
I do hear you though.
I have more saws in my suburban than some tree crews have in their trucks :laugh:.
I like to bring them full and ready to cut then when I get there I can get it done and get out of there as all day cutting doesn't happen for me.
Not sure if I posted this picture in here sorry if I did. This is the last time I went out. I went expecting to cut a huge dead ash or I would not have brought the 660, although it was nice to have for the 4 cuts I made with it. I also had a single layer load of logs on my trailer last week I cut up at the house with the 555 and the 2145.
20160827_082828.jpg

Attachments

• 20160827_082828.jpg
    20160827_082828.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 19
I feel the same way, You should always have at least 4 lol.
I do hear you though.
I have more saws in my suburban than some tree crews have in their trucks :laugh:.
I like to bring them full and ready to cut then when I get there I can get it done and get out of there as all day cutting doesn't happen for me.
Not sure if I posted this picture in here sorry if I did. This is the last time I went out. I went expecting to cut a huge dead ash or I would not have brought the 660, although it was nice to have for the 4 cuts I made with it. I also had a single layer load of logs on my trailer last week I cut up at the house with the 555 and the 2145.
View attachment 523518
I hear you on that I like my saws but I generally like to pick one. If it's a normal size tree ill use a 56cc saw unless it's huge then ill get the 288

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trying to bridge the communication gap with my one saw logger friends, I posted this explanation for a three saw plan back in 2014:

Proper Nomenclature

Many of us firewooders have a three saw plan because we are not near as hearty as loggers, most of whom stir their coffee with a 32" skip chained 660. I have struggled to find an appropriate name for each the saws so I can speak intelligently with loggers. I once borrowed the term limbing saw and was duly flamed by the loggers. So to be more precise and accurate, I am thinking of using the terms: A.M. saw, P.M. saw and Oh saw. The A.M. saw is of course your big almost logger saw that you use first thing until you can't hold it up any longer. The P.M. saw is the saw you use after the A.M. saw. The Oh saw has a variable last name and is only used when the A.M. and P.M. saw are um - let's just say unavailable. Ron

Pretty much still my plan.

Ron

It dont make sense to me to carry three saws to cut up one tree. One to drop, one to trim and one to buck. I aint going to do it. I might carry three saws to the woods, but two of them will stay in the truck.

My 026, like most modern 50cc saws is light enough having a limb/trim saw would be redundant. So I fell, limb, and buck with that until I run into bigger wood.

I don't ever cut one tree. I'll cut 5-10 small trees using just the 026. If I come across something bigger I use the CS8000. I do use both on the same tree from time to time.

Great story. I love to hear how people get where they are today, some very rich history in all of us.

Thanks,You're right lots of good stories and experiences on here and no matter what part of the world ,We all love chainsaws .If all else fails head up the bush or paddock and cut some wood.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

I do like having three saws in the truck most of the time. You have to have the Uh-Oh saw close by. My go to for most everything saw is one of the 3, 55 huskies and is usually what I carry when firewooding. If I have a big tree to cut, then I carry the 365 with me because of the 24in bar. Most of the time it wears a 20" bar just like the 55's do. I just dont often find a need for anything longer than a 20in bar and anything longer is just a PITA to carry in the brush. Now if I was logging and cutting big timber, I might do things a little different, but 4ft dia trees aint what I go for when cutting firewood.

[Qunderstanchipper1, post: 5975977, member: 126071"]Those are one of.my favorites jasper.
Love that size saw, but as @CR888 said I enjoy the others too :).[/QUOTE]
I understand that I work with more than only this one manny stihls frend of me stil uses his big contra that's a beast

Latest posts

Back