What are your firewood saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the responses have been great. Confirms what I thought.
You've seen a lot of what I use svk;).

I usually have these in the truck ready to cut.
ms200 rear handle 14"
2145 with ported 346 cylinder 16", 044 ported 20", and either another 50cc saw or another 70cc saw 24-25" depending on what I will be cutting that day.
If I know there is big stuff I will bring the 660 36" as well.
Lately I have been really liking the 555 18", to the point of sending the 361 down the road soon, besides it's orange and it sounds great when it 4-strokes.
You'll get all kinds of different ideas of what's optimal..a guy cutting on his own property can take a leisurely pace to his work and can hack at a big tree with a small or middle sized saw till the cows come home and it's no big deal.

I'm a scrounge so most of the time I get one shot at getting the wood out..if I run out of time or energy messing with too small a saw theres a good chance that wood will be gone before I get back the next day. You can never have too big a saw only too small!
Same here Jeff, scrounger of everything :).
I try to have my saws ready to go so as soon as I get out to where I'm cutting it's go time. I will fill them up sometimes depending on if I'm cutting 2 loads of rounds or just one. Once we get the time change up here I get a small window of daylight to cut in and I try to cut everything quick as possible.
OVERKILL. is wayyy underated...............:D
I can agree on that except when it isn't, then I love my 50cc and 40 cc saws LOL.

You've seen a lot of what I use svk;).

I usually have these in the truck ready to cut.
ms200 rear handle 14"
2145 with ported 346 cylinder 16", 044 ported 20", and either another 50cc saw or another 70cc saw 24-25" depending on what I will be cutting that day.
If I know there is big stuff I will bring the 660 36" as well.
Lately I have been really liking the 555 18", to the point of sending the 361 down the road soon, besides it's orange and it sounds great when it 4-strokes.

Same here Jeff, scrounger of everything :).
I try to have my saws ready to go so as soon as I get out to where I'm cutting it's go time. I will fill them up sometimes depending on if I'm cutting 2 loads of rounds or just one. Once we get the time change up here I get a small window of daylight to cut in and I try to cut everything quick as possible.

I can agree on that except when it isn't, then I love my 50cc and 40 cc saws LOL.
Very good observations... My go to lately has been the poulan countervibe and my husky 65l [emoji123] Got that vintage low end torque.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You just like rubbing salt in an freshly opened wound :p I shall find another, somewhere!
Watch it Mike, I resemble that remark;).
I figured you would be used salt after all your winters up there :p.
Call that guy and offer him 25 less and I will grab it up tomorrow when I go by to pick up my new to me 2165 :D.

Watch it Mike, I resemble that remark;).
I figured you would be used salt after all your winters up there :p.
Call that guy and offer him 25 less and I will grab it up tomorrow when I go by to pick up my new to me 2165 :D.

Tell ya what. If you want, go and take a look at it and if you think its worth it, talk him down the $25 and I will pay asking price. figure the $25 as a "finders fee" and let me know what shipping will be. :p

Very good observations... My go to lately has been the poulan countervibe and my husky 65l [emoji123] Got that vintage low end torque.

Thanks.
I bet when you break out the 288 the dead 8-10" dead ash just jumps in the back of your truck like in the picture lol.
Mine just likes to lay around on a towel :laugh:.

Tell ya what. If you want, go and take a look at it and if you think its worth it, talk him down the $25 and I will pay asking price. figure the $25 as a "finders fee" and let me know what shipping will be. :p
Will do, that would be the negotiators fee lol :).
I'll see if he will be around tomorrow when we go through there.

Thanks.
I bet when you break out the 288 the dead 8-10" dead ash just jumps in the back of your truck like in the picture lol.
Mine just likes to lay around on a towel :laugh:.
She's not a high rever like the 372 but that small stuff it just eats it up. She really shines in the big stuff with that 7th mount spring on the front it really dampens the vibrations big time.

I bet.
In all honesty I've never ran one lol.
They are hard to come by loggers especially snap them up. Ive had more than I can count try to buy it of of me. If you ever run across one be sure to pick it up they sure don't disappoint. Runs damn close to a 660 with less displacement too. Just built like a tank. If you see any craigslist postings for wood out my way be sure to throw me a shout. Im itchy to get the saws running[emoji12]

Yeah baby. My new 65 arrives on Tuesday which conveniently is also my birthday.
That's awesome I have two in service they are great looking saws
7b3a2787a322668a45573e182d7977d4.jpg

They definitely have that vintage look with the big muffler and the gas caps.

That's awesome I have two in service they are great looking saws
7b3a2787a322668a45573e182d7977d4.jpg

They definitely have that vintage look with the big muffler and the gas caps.

I love the unique, deep idle too.

I was collecting parts to turn my original 65 into a 77. Just recently got rid of them too. Darnit.

I love the unique, deep idle too.

I was collecting parts to turn my original 65 into a 77. Just recently got rid of them too. Darnit.
Yeah the 77s are pure power my one 65 has the 77 carb cover...odd but the 77 had the spark plug protruding through the rear carb cover...Not to mention a complete 77 is hard to find.

I've seen one for sale sorta locally (hour or so drive each way) and know two AS'ers who have them. That's all I've ever seen.
Doesn't surprise me. There must have been very few 77 cylinders made... Being that is very easy to convert since the cases are the same.

Latest posts

Back