What bar for 460 mag?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
440= 20"
460-24/25"

This is for hardwood.

If you are out west I think it is something like 440=32", 460=41" :givebeer:

I got a 20" w/8 pin sproket on my 460. But a 25" would probably use more of it's power w/ a 7 pin sproket.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Obviously the 460 will easily pull a bigger bar than a 20", and while I am not an expert on the 460 (my "big" saws are my 372Xp and 2171 twins) I do my cutting in the western part of your neighboring State of Massachusetts and would suggest two things: 1. The MS460 would make a 20" bar sing like the hammers of hades, and 2. at least in my experience a 20" bar is big enough for our New England hardwoods and also manages to keep itself away from the ground better than a bigger bar.

As I said, I'm no expert, so take this advice with as many grains of salt as you wish.

20"

We use 20" bars on em' out here cause if you're cutting a stand that has green bryers in it, we don't want to have to drag a 25" through it, a 20" is easier. And we like power over here, heck there's guy's running 20's on 066's.lol That's overkill for a 20" though, MOST guy's run 24" on 066/660's.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

i personally run 20's on my 460's and 660's and only on occasion use a 24" on either of them, usually the 24" is on the 084 for the landing saw, or working veneer in the mill yard

I run 25" with 8-pin rim, and 28" with 7-pin. If you're only going to run a 20", you might as well throw an 8 pin on it.

And....(I can't believe nobody's said it yet!)...... a dual port muffler cover.

modded 460

I run 25" with 8-pin rim, and 28" with 7-pin. If you're only going to run a 20", you might as well throw an 8 pin on it.

And....(I can't believe nobody's said it yet!)...... a dual port muffler cover.

Mine has it's modded muffler that I did, along with the 8 pin and 20".:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I run a 20" on my 460 and 660 and love it in the hardwoods. I have a 25 and 32" also but they spend most of their time in the truck. Can't have to much power in the hardwoods.

I run mine with anything from 20" to 32"

20" and 24" I use the 8-pin, unless it's dead dry hardwood like oak or hickory then I run the 24" with the 7-pin. 20" is always 8-pin, and just plain fun. :D

28" and 32" I run the 7-pin with and skip always on the 32". The 28" will pull either way with full comp or skip, but I run skip most of the time these days, I just like it better.

I believe it would pull a 36" bar with skip just fine for limited use but have never tried it, just judging from how well it pulls the 32". :cheers:

Oh yeah, mine has the muffler modded. ;)

Woods poted Big bore 046.
I run the 25" most of the time, it just seems to balance right for me that way. I run an 8 pin most of the time, Hedge is a bit much, but Oak is no problem.
I also have a 32" for it, the saw will pull it fine with the 8 pin, but the oiler wont keep up!!!
If I were to put on a 20", which I have thought about doing, I would have at least a 9 pin on it, maybe a 10 pin if I didn't have to mod the bar too much.
I really like the feel of the 25", it just feels right on that saw, the 32" gets nose heavy, and I think a 20" it would try and tail stand!!!!

Back