what chain to use on MS650 mag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archieGSP

Reaction score
bought a MS 650 mag with a 32" bar. 3/8 .063. Has a full skip that cuts awesome. Should I stick with the full skip or go to RSC? Wihch cuts faster?New to big saws and any advice would be great!

bought a MS 650 mag with a 32" bar. 3/8 .063. Has a full skip that cuts awesome. Should I stick with the full skip or go to RSC? Wihch cuts faster?New to big saws and any advice would be great!

If the 32" bar full skip cuts awesome, as you stated then why change it?

Welcome to the site.

Allot has to do with personal preferences, type of wood, and how you run your saw.

You could do a search for what is on your mind

When I asked about some thoughts of 650, not many replies. Since it is what we have at work, it usually gets the job done. Any thing really big an 088 comes in. At work we are runnin one with a 26" full chisel, mostly in hardwood.

Some like the skip for chip clearance & speed of sharpening, on the larger bars.

For personal use, I run a 28" bar (when needed) with full chisel on a dolmar 7800, will be picking up a semi chisel to see the difference for myself. That saw is usually wearing a 20" bar full chisel chain.

I run chisel skip on my 650 Mag when it wears a 32. RSC when I have the 25 on it. Both work good in PA hardwood. I think that in the real world filing ability has more to do with cutting speed than chain choice. Whereabouts in PA are you?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys! As for the "cuts awesome", it does cut well but having never run a saw bigger than 46cc, don't have much to compare with. But if it aint broke don't fix it. Think I'll stick with the full skip (or maybee half skip) for the 32" and pick up a 24" or so bar and run the RSC on that. I do my cutting in the ANF in north west PA and don't really run into huge trees. I think that saw is my new favorite thing in the whole world

Latest posts

Back