What chain works best for noodling hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When dry I find them to be the best firestarter. One handful is enough.

There was a time(long ago) that people used cedar for house shingles. The practice was stopped for obvious reasons, when dry, the shingles would catch fire and burn the house down.:angry: I accumulated a large pile of these and they make great kindling but my pile is gone.

How does a guy noodle, how long do you dry it and does live oak make acceptable noodles ? I have some 20" oak rounds on the ground now. Do you just cut with the grain lengthwise ?

No issues whatsoever regarding the chain dulling.
As a matter of fact noodling seems to dull the chains the least unless the bark is extremely dirty.

That's my experience, as well. I've noodled for the better part of a day with my 371XP and 24" bar, and the chain still didn't NEED sharpening.

For those of us that don't noodle....so you now have a huge pile of noodles....what are they good for ? Kindling ?:chop:

Mulch. I put it either on the mulch or in areas around the yard, like near the fence, where the dogs have run the grass off.

Mike

Most suggestions on this topic are right on. My best suggestion would be to be more aggressive with the rakers than normal. My theory is that the cutters dig a little deeper into the wood rather then sliding over the wood making it dull faster. It does help a chain last a little longer, but my chains also dulled fast. Semi chisel is the best design period in my opinion. Thanks

For those of us that don't noodle....so you now have a huge pile of noodles....what are they good for ? Kindling ?:chop:

highjacks aside...;) lol... there was a post w/pix yesterday over in GM ci... and one of the poster's g/kids... they were at grandpa's wood/logging camp... a cute g/daughter... blonde hair... had put a handful of noodles on top of her head!

golden curls...

I would suggest keeping the bar rails even. and accurate sharpening of the chains. If 1 side is off a bit and it cuts even a bit crooked it will bind and feel dull when the bar is buried in wood.
I prefer semi chisel RM Stihl and skip but use what ever brand other then Asian made and full comp and full chisel also . For me semi chisel skip is easiest to maintain and I expect the
the chip clearance is a bit better being skip.

The only common issue with noodling is noodles piling up under the clutch cover - and how bad the issue is varies with many factors, including (detailed) saw construction under the clutch cover, the cover itself, and the type of chain. Something simple that often helps is removing the chip deflector, or using a wide discharge clutch cover on saws where it is an option.
Cutting at a slight angle up/down instead of exactly with the grain also helps, as the noodles tend to become shorter. Modifying the clutch cover, making the discharge opening larger is another option.

Yup, I've removed that deflector as I don't see the need for it on such a short bar, and the dual dogs were taken off the standard 261 I traded in and put on this one. I just remember trying it before and seemed to lack the power, but that could have been a dull chain at that point in time long ago, or maybe semi is better for noodling than regular chisel?

Mulch. I put it either on the mulch or in areas around the yard, like near the fence, where the dogs have run the grass off.

Mike

I used quite a bit of it for mulch in her flower beds/pots and she liked it better than mulch. I also love to use it for my nesting boxes in the chicken coop, wish I noodled enough to use it on the ground in there too!

I try to stay as parallel to the grain as possible and cut with the grain when cutting knots. I usually do not rip the whole thing, just enough to get a good bite with the wedge, depending on species. 28" ash this week I only need about a 6" cut, cherry I might do to the center

BTW....noodling here in Texas describes a way to fish for catfish. You float down a riverbank, exploring holes in the bank under water where catfish lay in wait for prey. You stick your hand intheir mouth,they bite down,you run your hand out their gills and you pull them out of the hole. Good for an adrenaline rush when a 20 pounder clamps down on your hand.

BTW....noodling here in Texas describes a way to fish for catfish. You float down a riverbank, exploring holes in the bank under water where catfish lay in wait for prey. You stick your hand intheir mouth,they bite down,you run your hand out their gills and you pull them out of the hole. Good for an adrenaline rush when a 20 pounder clamps down on your hand.
I think that would be more fun to watch than do lol.

There was a tv series last year based on a guide service in Oklahoma that fished this way. The girls doing it was pretty funny.
The thought of trying to catch something by hand that could remove appendages to me is more scary than other dangerous pursuit, say bear hunting with a spear. I know catfish don't have teeth but who knows what else might be up in there lol.

The thought of trying to catch something by hand that could remove appendages to me is more scary than other dangerous pursuit, say bear hunting with a spear. I know catfish don't have teeth but who knows what else might be up in there lol.

The inside of their mouth is like sandpaper. If you lose your nerve and jerk it out, band aids are required. Going to school the next day with band aids from noodling will get you dates. You would be surprised how many girls will try it.

I have to noodle now. 2 friends bet me $10.00 each you can't get anything but sawdust cutting this way. Hope y'all aren't pulling my chain

Have fun! I love noodling with a large displacement (70cc+) saw. It really comes in handy when you have to load large rounds or being able to split knotty, gnarly pieces by hand.

Back