What did I buy?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, so today I go to buy some axes from a guy on CL. I buy 3, (1 is a plumb) and a real nice square nose shovel for 5 buckees each. Then the guy says his 94 year old uncle, (his estate) had some old chainsaws. So he hauls out 2 David Bradley model 8's. Now guys, I don't know squat so scold me for this purchase. Perhaps I'll tell you what I paid.

2wqtkj9.jpg

104i3as.jpg

2qibn02.jpg

zjzb78.jpg

14kfjm0.jpg

2md1nx1.jpg

Both seem to have good compression. On one is worse shape the recoil winder is a little stiff. Both had the gas drained out of the tank although they have bar oil in them. I haven't done anything other than wipe them off.

The mix rate says a half pint per gallon of 30 weight oil. So thats 32:1. Will my conventional 40:1 synthetic be OK.

OH, and a shot of the axes. I also got a 14' length of log chain for $7.

14mgkxt.jpg

2s0n152.jpg

30rxxd2.jpg

23h2m4w.jpg

I've got 2 of them. One is a parts unit and the other runs. Heavy, as you already know, very loud and not fast at all. There is some info on acres site. Not too collectible, i think i paid $20 for mine.

What did you buy? You bought a saw that you can count the links as it's sawing and make your ears bleed! It will be a great wall hanger or a GTG saw for a little fun. Have a "how slow can I get through this cut" competition.

I've got three of them in various conditions. If you don't have spark, clean the points. They get dirty/oily. To set the gap, there is a little tab on the points cover.

I believe the 1 pint of 30w oil to a gal of gas was 16:1. 40:1 is fine.

2md1nx1.jpg

Last edited:
Both seem to have good compression. On one is worse shape the recoil winder is a little stiff. Both had the gas drained out of the tank although they have bar oil in them. I haven't done anything other than wipe them off.

The mix rate says a half pint per gallon of 30 weight oil. So thats 32:1. Will my conventional 40:1 synthetic be OK.

OH, and a shot of the axes. I also got a 14' length of log chain for $7.

14mgkxt.jpg

2s0n152.jpg

30rxxd2.jpg

23h2m4w.jpg
How much did ya give?:popcorn:

Looks to me like ya came out ok...if it didn't impact the old wallet to bad!

How much did ya give?:popcorn:

Looks to me like ya came out ok...if it didn't impact the old wallet to bad!

So..........how much for the saws?

I've got 2 of them. One is a parts unit and the other runs. Heavy, as you already know, very loud and not fast at all. There is some info on acres site. Not too collectible, i think i paid $20 for mine.

Wow, Medic was right on the money, I paid $20 each.

Maybe I should hang it over the entrance to the house in garage, next to this "welcome sign".

People do a double take when they see this.:msp_w00t:

2uxwcja.jpg

rsbeit.jpg

ic8ryf.jpg

You can make one of them a little more interesting wall hanger if you set it up like this.
I have seen one of these sell for $200.00 on ebay.:msp_scared:

attachment.php

I've had 3 of those "360" DB's. The first one I bought I gave $25 bucks for it. I though I did great!! I came home, checked on ebay and saw that $25 was lucky to get for one. :msp_sad:
The other 2 I gave $20 each.
Definitely a cool saw, just not a high dollar saw. Congrats.

I've had 3 of those "360" DB's. The first one I bought I gave $25 bucks for it. I though I did great!! I came home, checked on ebay and saw that $25 was lucky to get for one. :msp_sad:
The other 2 I gave $20 each.
Definitely a cool saw, just not a high dollar saw. Congrats.

So much for the "one of a kind find" :msp_biggrin:

What did you buy? You bought a saw that you can count the links as it's sawing and make your ears bleed! It will be a great wall hanger or a GTG saw for a little fun. Have a "how slow can I get through this cut" competition.

I've got three of them in various conditions. If you don't have spark, clean the points. They get dirty/oily. To set the gap, there is a little tab on the points cover.

I believe the 1 pint of 30w oil to a gal of gas was 16:1. 40:1 is fine.

2md1nx1.jpg

Thanks for the tips.

I mispoke, The tag on mix says, 1/2 pint per gallon which is 16:1.

So is 40:1 modern synthetic, no ethanol OK????

Thanks for the tips.

I mispoke, The tag on mix says, 1/2 pint per gallon which is 16:1.

So is 40:1 modern synthetic, no ethanol OK????

Yes, it will be fine. I ran mine on 40:1. I've got many saws, old outboards etc. that call for 16:1. I run 40:1 in everything 2 stroke.

I bet it runs slow because it's geared down. I LOVE the way it looks, sort of like a prehistoric mechanical beast. No body could afford to build a saw like that today. With all the metal parts, gears. etc., I bet it would cost $3000. Wasn't David Bradly a Western Auto brand?

I bet it runs slow because it's geared down. I LOVE the way it looks, sort of like a prehistoric mechanical beast. No body could afford to build a saw like that today. With all the metal parts, gears. etc., I bet it would cost $3000. Wasn't David Bradly a Western Auto brand?

All I know about David Bradley was the walk behind plows. When I was a kid, a neighbor had one.

Update

Well I did a little more cleaning up on the one that looks the best. It also had less compression that the other one. I fired it up and at first it was cutting out on idle, but after about 3 minutes it starting idling pretty well too.

OMG, is it LOUD.

Latest posts

Back