What did I just buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well.. right now i want to figure out why the heck it won't run. by all rights it should run right now... after i figure out what it's deal is..... then i might sell it. or trade for something... big.

Good Question?

Take a peek at Mikes site,for I-71 or I -72.Also,take off the muffler and measure the bore.I-71,I-72 is 2.125,with a 1.5 stroke ,795 is 2.217,with a 1.635 stroke 797 is 2.28 with a 1.835 stroke 840 is 2.165 with a 1.635 stroke 890 is 2.217 with a 1.635 stroke.The plot indeed thickens,the puzzle is not solved yet.

I took the muffler off & measured the bore at roughly 2.25 inches. From the pictures on Mike Acres site, I was figuring either a 797 or a 795 judging by the black plastic grip that raps around the top corners of the handle & the rubber flap behind the sprocket. Given the bore, I'm guessing a 797. It starts up & runs for about 5-10 sec then quits (even if I give it some throttle). It alos leaks gas. Can anybody explain to me what all buttons are supposed to do. The primer & on/off switch I figured out, but the other two?? :confused:

the button opposite the primer is the bar oiler. if you have a tower on the top of the oiler casting that's a pulse oiler. an *automatic oiler*. the button right by the muffler is a decompression valve. your mystery leak is likely the bottom of the tank. there are bolts *inside* the tank. tighten them.

Primer carb

From what you have said,it apparently has a primer carb:eek: .I personaly have never had any luck with the dang things.McCulloch had a perfectly good model Hl Tillotson carb.That they used on some models,and that poorly designed thing they used on others.It would be my opinion,that perhaps the diaphragm is stiff and stretched,and is just not functional.If you can get it to fire,try"pumping" the primer,and maybe you can it to run,after a warm up.I have no idea where a person could get a rebuild kit for that carb.I have one of these albatroses on a later model 250,and have the same problem you have.When I get around to restoring that saw,I plan on using a model HL Tillotson.:D

if he has a mac carb, it's not a 797. 797 (according to mike acres) uses a cube carb. that would likely make his outfit a 790.. but then i never heard of a 790 outfitted with dsp.... unless there is a carb diff between 797 and super 797... i think they are supposed to be an hr or hs124..

there is a fellow on ebay by the name stoichemetric that periodically auctions diaphragm sets off. i wish the fellow would just bust down and sell me one.

797 carb

According to my micro's,the 797 had a primer type,and 797s,had a Tillotson Hl[plate # 14].The carb. sheet[plate #29],shows an Hl.

Latest posts

Back