What do i need? chainsaw wise of course lol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookieman8

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm new here and just got a couple questions for somebody who knows what they're talking about lol to start I'm buying a new chainsaw for the occasional use, im going to buy a Stihl and wondering what size, as a hunter and outdoors man I need something to cut up trees that are decently sized, not huge, but yeah you know lol I'm on a budget of about 350 dollars so hopefully that should get me a good saw ? Any comments and ideas or anything informative is appreciated :) lol thanks in advance

PM Nmurph on here he rebuilds and sells husky 346xp's its 50cc and in your price range. You won't get anything new thats any good from Stihl for $300.

Last edited:
PM Nmurph on here he rebuilds and sells husky 346xp's its 50cc and in your price range. You won't get anything new thats any good from Stihl for $300.

Yeah,

you might be able to catch him with an oe model for less than that or a beat up 353 that would make a great woods saw.
If it must be a Stihl the 26 260 261 family is there 50cc pro grade saw and it is a well built machine, used in decent shape they sell around me for $200-250, you might find a great one for $350.

let me start the battle. If you are set on Stihl..buy a 250..in your price range and you can do what you need to. Think about one thing when you buy a saw. Although I have never had an easy to start or a no tool chain tensioner model..they may be great..but ask yourself..do they make easy to tighten head studs? the bar and chain are the most important part that is user influenced. I have never met a man with a chainsaw that didn't have a pocket..put that scrench in your pocket. one hand to carry the saw the other to carry a rope that is tied between your gas can and bar oil bottle. the less that can go wrong the better. Keep it simple. I am not a Stihl Rep. I have used them and love them. nothing against Husqvarna or any of the others. read the manual..when you buy one.search and download an ISP(illustrated parts list)..if you are like me..this will keep you from tearing perfectly good things apart to see how they work. and save it. if anything ever wears out..you know the manufacturer part number to call your local dealer to ask if they have it. save a nickel in gas goes 10x farther in the woods.

• Do not operate the saw when you
are tired. Fatigue is your enemy. Rest
helps you stay alert with a strong
sense of balance, footing, and saw grip.

The 250 will be more than enough for what you describe. The 180 would probably be fine as well. Sharp chain goes a long way as well

My vote is also for the "standard" Stihl MS250 ... not the "no tools" adjustable model with "easy start" ... and it should be within your budget. Why the MS250? Only because that was/is my first chainsaw. Bought it 10 years ago and the only real maintenance I've had to do is change the spark plug once. Originally had a 16" bar, but now has 18". Watch the Stihl video about maintaining their gas-powered equipment and buy some of their pre-mixed fuel for longterm storage purposes. The most common job found at small engine repair shops is cleaning out gunked up carburetors which was caused from non-use with low grade fuel still in the saw.

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot to mention that I did have to replace the pull-cord within the last 6 months. Still, it was an easy task thanks to the instructions found in the owner's manual.

I'm going to stay out of this because my recommendation for what you stated in your original post would be an 029Super or MS290 and the rest of these guys don't like them.

Mike

let me start the battle. If you are set on Stihl..buy a 250..in your price range and you can do what you need to. Think about one thing when you buy a saw. Although I have never had an easy to start or a no tool chain tensioner model..they may be great..but ask yourself..do they make easy to tighten head studs? the bar and chain are the most important part that is user influenced. I have never met a man with a chainsaw that didn't have a pocket..put that scrench in your pocket. one hand to carry the saw the other to carry a rope that is tied between your gas can and bar oil bottle. the less that can go wrong the better. Keep it simple. I am not a Stihl Rep. I have used them and love them. nothing against Husqvarna or any of the others. read the manual..when you buy one.search and download an ISP(illustrated parts list)..if you are like me..this will keep you from tearing perfectly good things apart to see how they work. and save it. if anything ever wears out..you know the manufacturer part number to call your local dealer to ask if they have it. save a nickel in gas goes 10x farther in the woods.
+1

Back