What do you guys think of Yellow Jacket teeth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about putting them on my 252? Are they better?

Better? Probably, depends on what ' better' means.
I have a Vermeer 672 with a brand new 78hp Deutz tier 4,
It is a work horse, I would love to put them on, but the cost of the change over and possible down time,
I am not ready to up-grade something that is not broke unless I have some down time and extra money.
Do the numbers and make up your own mind.
Jeff

Thinking about putting them on my 252? Are they better?
Better than what? I like them better than the pro series do to the ability to loosen one nut with a 3/8 ratchet and spin to a fresh side and keep grinding. I have a higher hp grinder that breaks carbides more often but the speed of changing teeth and not having to deal with the hex bolts is definitely nice.

Better than what? I like them better than the pro series do to the ability to loosen one nut with a 3/8 ratchet and spin to a fresh side and keep grinding. I have a higher hp grinder that breaks carbides more often but the speed of changing teeth and not having to deal with the hex bolts is definitely nice.
Better than the pro series? When you spin the Yellow Jackets around is the other side still like new as they claim ? So you actually get twice as much use?

We run yellow jackets on our 252 and they work good! You just flip and use the other side when they get rounded. We kept the normal teeth on our 602. For some reason I didn't think they would last as long on a bigger machine, but we have never tried it. I am happy with yellowjackets on my 252. I hope this helps!

Better than the pro series? When you spin the Yellow Jackets around is the other side still like new as they claim ? So you actually get twice as much use?
It's been a number of years since I had the pro series. I had greenteeth on my other machines and they advertise 3 side but that's false. Vermeer teeth are a legit 2 sided tooth. Yellowjackets came on my 852 but I can't compare cutting times with different teeth.

It's been a number of years since I had the pro series. I had greenteeth on my other machines and they advertise 3 side but that's false. Vermeer teeth are a legit 2 sided tooth. Yellowjackets came on my 852 but I can't compare cutting times with different teeth.
Well if the 2 sided tooth works as they say it sounds better than the pro series.

Well if the 2 sided tooth works as they say it sounds better than the pro series.
The speed and simplicity of swapping teeth is night and day compared to pro series. You can change your whole wheel in 1/3 of the time. The faster I can get things accomplished the better

image.jpg
We have yellow jacket on our 252 which we have had since new , they are by far better than the proseries, the change time is quick for turning and changing ,I have a battery impact wrench that I undo and snug them up with before torquing (changed and turned in about 8-10mins)the cutting on them is awesome also ,we sharpen them and usually get 5-10 sharpens out of a set .hope this helps with your discussion .

The can almost be considered 4 sided. If you spin them before bring completely rounded, and then put them on opposite side of wheel on the next spin.

The same goes for the pockets...if you round off the part that locks the tooth from turning, you can switch the two mated pockets for a fresh lock plate.

With thst being said I mostly only get two edges on mine...cause I run it till well rounded usually..then replace gor around 12-15 bucks a yooth
Owner/operator of Climb High Tree Service established in 2002
www.climbhightree.com
https://m.facebook.com/ClimbHighTreeService
https://www.youtube.com/user/climbhightree
https://www.youtube.com/user/2treekiller2

I have yellow jackets on a rg50. I like them. They do a pretty good job of not throwing debris and are easy to change. Like others have said, you can turn them up to 4 times if you don't go too long before flips and the pockets can be flipped as well when the tooth starts to twist when tightening. The carbide (or whatever it is) is pretty durable, but not quite as good as a Rayco tooth. I'd say go for it!

It is easier to change teeth as others have said. However, with our pro series we would regrind the teeth in-house. Much harder to do with the yellow jackets. And the yellow jackets weren't wearing longer than the pro series. If you're in ground that don't require frequent teeth changes (ie twice a week), then I would say go for it.

Latest posts

Back