What do you have left???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmboss45

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, more than half way through the heating season, my woodshed has an empty side. My shed holds 10 full cords, I am firing three stove, 2 full time, the other in the shop on the weekends.View attachment 282535View attachment 282536 I did start cutting today, four ash on the ground, dropped one on my truck:msp_ohmy: but not too bad. I will have plenty to make it till the warm weather, I predict 2 of the the first two rows on the full side will be gone, but not much more than that.:cool2:I stopped cutting when the shed was full as I do not like to handle it too may times, I have plenty of ash to cut, a bunch of red oak on the ground, I am in good shape.

I have just over 2 cords of red oak and bitternut hickory left. I should be good, but this is my first season heating (majority) with wood. I have 6 cords of white ash I cut/split/stacked in August that I will have to get into if I run out. Fingers crossed:blob2:

I have about 3.5 cords of shagbark hickory, hornbeam and oak in my near storage that I thought I would get through this winter. I am thinking that on my next load into the garage I might hit my shoulder season stacks and pull in some birch, ash and linden. I can't see wasting the high BTU stuff on spring. I was out cutting this morning and there were buds on all of the maples so we must be near done with this winter.

Have about 3 cords left of this years dry stuff and 3 or 4 cords of next years wood. Hoping to get out cutting doon, waiting on the snow to go down a bit.

I figure I am a full year ahead and gaining every year. 4 years is a lot to to get done, I am working o some ways to get there though. I just don't like moving it over and over. I am going to start a wood yard in my woods for block wood to help get a jump on it.

I've gone through three cords, just started the last one I had at the house. My BIL came and took everything else, about a cord and a half. Last time I tell him to take what he needs. I do have three split for next year and another 6-8 to buck and split.
I'm glad winter is about over.

Well, more than half way through the heating season, my woodshed has an empty side. My shed holds 10 full cords, I am firing three stove, 2 full time, the other in the shop on the weekends.View attachment 282535View attachment 282536 I did start cutting today, four ash on the ground, dropped one on my truck:msp_ohmy: but not too bad. I will have plenty to make it till the warm weather, I predict 2 of the the first two rows on the full side will be gone, but not much more than that.:cool2:I stopped cutting when the shed was full as I do not like to handle it too may times, I have plenty of ash to cut, a bunch of red oak on the ground, I am in good shape.
I really like your woodshed, I'd love to have one

How much do we have? Enough. We haven't had a "bad" winter, but it's been just cold enough to require keeping the stove going. We burn about the same amount of wood regardless of how cold it gets. Even when we have it damped way back, we still usually have a window or two open.

Herd - you are either burning with your windows open or you have an awesomly huge house if you are worried about going through two more cord from now until it warms in Ohio?? I have burned 3 1/2 and figure a 1/2 or so to get it done. I have 16 or so split and another cord or two in rounds so far. Getting close to putting the saw up for the season but I like it to much to call it quits until the mud season.

I really like your woodshed, I'd love to have one

I'll tell you what Andrew, this was the first year I've had it, and it sure beats snow covered tarps and wet wood. I bought it from our family Christmas tree farm, it used to be a selling shed when we had two places running. What little I paid for it was worth getting it moved around the block. I may make it larger next year.

So far this season I figure I've used maybe 2 n a half cord, and down to using some really well seasoned pine. It had been sitting outside for 2 years and back in October I decided to buck n split it. Stuff was absolutely soggy wet. (so much for leaving wood uncovered) Still, I figured why waste it so I processed it and stacked it in the shed. Some is still wet at about 40% but some burns really well. I'm thinking the resins settled in those pieces. Some of the other burns like flash paper. (gone in a flash)

Right now I'm down to burning the aforementioned pine, and if that's still not enough to take me through, I still have a good number of broken or cracked hardwood boards n a couple of healthy 1 foot across barn beams that I'll be cutting up yet this week. I also have a good dozen locust fence posts still attached to a fence I can remove n burn. But if all else fails, I still have my round piles, one of which has been seasoning for better than 3 months. I haven't checked the moisture content yet, but I'm pretty sure I could burn some of that if necessary.

Otherwise, I have 8 cord, split n stacked. 6 cord in 2 round piles uncovered, one cord in a cube covered, and one cord stacked in the shed. That doesn't include the pine, boards, or beams.

Herd - you are either burning with your windows open or you have an awesomly huge house if you are worried about going through two more cord from now until it warms in Ohio?? I have burned 3 1/2 and figure a 1/2 or so to get it done. I have 16 or so split and another cord or two in rounds so far. Getting close to putting the saw up for the season but I like it to much to call it quits until the mud season.

2700 sq. feet, so I don't know how that ranks. Me, the wife, and 4 punks! Just never relied on wood heat before. Moved in last April, so figuring out what we need, etc. Added 13 new windows which has helped a great deal with loss. I am not solely heating with wood, bought a Hearthstone insert. Chimney liner was crap and we negotiated funds to be able to use the fireplace/chimney. One of the selling points for us. Last three gas bills were, $55, $60, and $74. It ran $25 from April through Oct.

I am pleased, but would love to eventually pas the gas company Zero.

Sorry to jack the thread, OP

I did a quick inventory on my stash and I figure I have enough for 4 years or so. I came up with 58 cords left, all split and stacked inside. I burn about 10-13 cords per year heating 2 houses.

I have over 5 left so far. I cut split and stacked 1/2 a cord yesterday and will hopefully get some more done this week after work. The power company has a tree crew cutting/trimming my street. I got a bunch of ash and some shagbark.

I figure I am a full year ahead and gaining every year. 4 years is a lot to to get done, I am working o some ways to get there though. I just don't like moving it over and over. I am going to start a wood yard in my woods for block wood to help get a jump on it.

Thats the way to do it. As long as it is down and blocked to size and stacked UP off the ground in the woods..youll get to it for final processing eventually. When out with the saws, concentrate on down and bucked! And when you are final processing, splitting and stacking, all you have to do is twice as much a day as you would burn on the coldest days. Thats it. youll be years ahead before you know it. Make it a daily fun workout, thats all it takes, even just 15 minutes a day.

2700 sq. feet, so I don't know how that ranks. Me, the wife, and 4 punks! Just never relied on wood heat before. Moved in last April, so figuring out what we need, etc. Added 13 new windows which has helped a great deal with loss. I am not solely heating with wood, bought a Hearthstone insert. Chimney liner was crap and we negotiated funds to be able to use the fireplace/chimney. One of the selling points for us. Last three gas bills were, $55, $60, and $74. It ran $25 from April through Oct.

I am pleased, but would love to eventually pas the gas company Zero.

Sorry to jack the thread, OP

No worries Herd, We have been at zero for the propane man for 3 years over than for the cooktop, my wife's office, and her pool heater. The pool heater tank will last us for 5 years as we only run it in the early and late season's. We fill once a year....maybe. A Napleon insert on the main floor, and a free standing stove in the basement does the trick, about 20-25 face cords a year.

Back