What Firewood Conveyor? & 4 way splitter adapter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lknchoppers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
2014-09-01 13_52_03.jpg 2014-09-01 13_51_53.jpg I have been pretty busy with the firewood. I would like to get the most bang for my buck in a firewood conveyor I'm thinking something to move 18"-20" splits coming off my splitter and dropping on top of a pile or into the back of a truck. What options do I have?

I would also like a 4 way to go onto my splitter to increase production. What do I have to consider when using a four way? Maybe quick easy removal for smaller diameter rounds? Four way positioning on the main wedge? The splitter is my bottleneck right now. I added some pictures of the splitter so you can see the wedge I am currently wanting to adapt a 4 way on. Thanks,

How big are your normal rounds? Get any twisty/nasty stuff or is it all easy splitting oak/ash? The beam on your current set up looks a little light to take the added stress of a 4 way. It's also pretty low to the ground. Nice if doing 48" rounds but doing "normal wood" bent over or crouching all day is going to kill you. If the machine is going to need major surgery to remove the bottleneck, why not start with a heavier machine?

You could use a slip on wedge from Northern tool but you would need to modify your wedge a bit. Notching the back of that wedge wouldn't be much work with a plasma cutter or OA torch. You wouldn't need to go all the way to the beam with the relief cut either.

As was said your beam doesn't look all that rugged for the forces involved wth using a 4 way wedge. If your doing straight stuff it will work but if you get into the nasty pieces you could bend her up quickly. The beam on my American splitter is a big tube and it flexes a bit when using the 4 way and I find a nasty section. Be careful.

P.S. If you do go with a 4 way wedge keep it sharp! Splitting force went from 500-1000 pounds on straight stuff when dull with the factory edge to not even registering on the gauge after sharpening.

The beam is a train track upside down, I am not sure how strong it is. I would like a 4way I can pull off quick if I get into knotted stuff. I split stuff from 6" in diameter to 24" with the bulk of it usually about 18" in diameter. I like the splitter beam low, I put a little wedge/ramp up to it and can roll the big rounds up on it. My next splitter will probably have a log lift and an adjustable 6 way wedge with some provision to push out easily onto a conveyor but before I get in that deep I need to process another 100 cord or so. I have to see how my market is from month to month before I grow too much.

Maybe consider selling your old one now and buy a Dirty Hand Tools one to speed things up abit right away. Faster cycle times and I think they offer a factory made 4 way. I have pics here of my setup if you look under my user name. Lots of my old pics are gone but some still around.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-firewood-tools.153256/page-17

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/steiner-logging.256905/

I have an 11 second cycle time on this splitter. Train tracks are much stronger than I beams I found out. The Honda GX motor is really nice too. I wouldn't trade it for a Dirty Hands straight up. I like this splitter better. Thanks for your feed back.

The beam is a train track upside down, I am not sure how strong it is. I would like a 4way I can pull off quick if I get into knotted stuff. I split stuff from 6" in diameter to 24" with the bulk of it usually about 18" in diameter. I like the splitter beam low, I put a little wedge/ramp up to it and can roll the big rounds up on it. My next splitter will probably have a log lift and an adjustable 6 way wedge with some provision to push out easily onto a conveyor but before I get in that deep I need to process another 100 cord or so. I have to see how my market is from month to month before I grow too much.

I run a TW6 and use the 4way as much as possible, that being said the 4 way is often removed in favor of the regular wedge because the wood is knotty or very hard (aged elm is one). For me a 6 way is not even a consideration because I do not get pecker poles clean enough to run it. Have used one in the past and it makes sausage not kindling.
Also work table and log lifts are as critical as gas and hydro oil for me.

I run a TW6 and use the 4way as much as possible, that being said the 4 way is often removed in favor of the regular wedge because the wood is knotty or very hard (aged elm is one). For me a 6 way is not even a consideration because I do not get pecker poles clean enough to run it. Have used one in the past and it makes sausage not kindling.
Also work table and log lifts are as critical as gas and hydro oil for me.

I am thinking of making a work table. Just wondering about optimal positioning. I have a nice piece of aluminum diamond plate that would make a nice splitter work table.

Latest posts

Back