What is the best bar for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcchiro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up my mill. I have a stihl 075, with an Alaskan mill. I want to use a 36" bar 3/8 pitch and .063 gauge. What are the differences in bar manufacturers? I am sure there are a lot of opinions out there, lets hear um. Thanks

Bar choice

My bar choices are based on the replacement tip. I have a woodbug mill so having the tip modified to run in a track, occasionaly requires it to be changed. Ease of replacing the tips is my deciding factor. I use the Oregon power match because of the one tip connection point. I have not used other cs mills but i know many do not have the bar secured on both ends, so you probably would benefit from just the best priced bar you can fine. Happy Milling The Hoosier!

i would say anything over 24" will probably be good quality as ive never seen cheap chi-com ones over 22". shop around ,find some at good prices,maybe even some good used ones.

Bars are one CS component that there are probably not that many different opinions about. They're pretty much the same for any given price.

The premium bars may be harder steel and last slightly longer, but that's about it.

I respectfully disagree. There is a big difference between the low cost laminated bars and those milled from solid steel. The steel is heat treated to a higher hardness for longer life, and the groove will not open up as much with hard use, keeping the chain aligned.

As for life, you can expect a premium bar to last 2-3 times longer than the cheap ones.

Is there such a thing as a low cost laminated milling bar ?

Windsor is an "economy" bar, and it is indeed softer and it does wear faster than the premium bars, yet I've milled a lot of wood with my 36" Windsor, and it's still got plenty of life in it. Windsor is certainly good enough for someone who is just getting into milling. However, Bailey's does not list a 36" Windsor for the 075.

Cannon/Woodland Pro may last 2 - 3 times as long, but are priced accordingly.

I notice Baileys still has a few 36" Carlton closeout bars for the big Stihl mount. It comes setup for a 404 tip, but a 3/8 replacement tip is only about $15. Those German Carlton bars are darned hard steel. I've got three of them, and other than them being a little on the heavy side, I like 'em just fine.

Stihl bars are supposedly made by Oregon, though the tips do not interchange. Both are decent bars, though not top of the line.

There's still a few Aussie GB's floating around, but mostly the supply has dried up in the US.

If I were the OP, I'd grab a closeout Carlton and swap tips. If you buy the tip from Baileys at the same time, they'll swap it for you, if you ask.

Latest posts

Back