what is the best built saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old Macs are tough old tanks, but can be tedious to work on so I don't vote for them. Husky 372xps are right in there. And though I've never run or worked on one, there seems to be a million old running 041 Farm Bosses out there. That can't be an accident. And yes, the 066 is a workhorse if ever there was.

Of course this is just my one sided story. The Echo CS-60S. Made unchanged for 45 years. But this is just my thought...Bob

I think a lot of you are confusing your "personal favorite saw" or "best in class saw", with the "best built saw". Several very good running saws have been mentioned, but I wouldn't call them the "best built". Best built is a very tall order that eliminates a lot of saws. The 260 is one of them with it's major carb and filtration issues. They're both a huge bottleneck. Of course that's just my personal opinion:cheers:

since you put it that way I would say my 3120 husky is the best built saw, it is the strongest I have seen.

Last edited:
Stihl 08s

Built like a tank - powerhead so reliable and hard wearing it was used for the TS 08 and TS350 Cutquik saws on construction sites and also the Stihl Auger.

Must have had one of the longest production histories as well.

Oh - and it also has no plastic on it to get broken.

I would actually probably agree with this too. The thing is a tank.

Too bad its so heavy though - its what, 1/2lb lighter than my 084! lol.

The Stihl 041 has to rank right up there. It's extremely easy to work on, and was a powerful design. Not the most rpm wise, but certainly when talking torque.

They were bulletproof with no plastic covers, etc.

It seems like the only way for Stihl to kill off this design was to stop making parts for them. If the oiler parts, seals, and ignitions were available, they might still be in use for the next 50 years.

Bob

This has to be the most reliable, durable and cost efficient chainsaw I've ever owned. Uses no fuel, non-sharpening, light weight, and handy to pack anywhere. Yessir..this would be my idea of a first class chainsawr. (Rusty nails not included)

An older gentleman I know has a 041 Farmboss from the early to mid 70 s. He said there was a good stretch where he was cutting 100 cord a year with it for a firewood business. Just got tuned up the other day at the local Stihl dealer. He said when he brought it in the tech had a big smile on his face. When he picked it up the guy was amazed how with a little TLC the thing ran and cut great!

great stories guys; maybe someone has a pic with the 041; that would be great.

Not a good pic, but it is 041 Super, 041AV looks the same.
The 041 were and are very well made saws and sound about as cool as they come.

attachment.php

attachment.php

TT

Last edited:
woah, 45 years? i gotta google this.

I didn't find it in any of this years lineup (other countries besides USA) but it has been sold in the Pacfic Rim countries and SA up until this year from 1965 at least until the merger. Echo pulled it out of the USA in 1983 for EPA and regs stuff but i still managed to get a brand new one as well as a few from other countries. I am waiting on a blue and white one from Japan...Bob

Latest posts

Back