what is the best built saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the 041 has to be one of the best built saws of all times. I believe that's the saw that really helped put Stihl on the map.

I agree it did make Stihl the company it is, but the saw does have some "issues". There are way too many things on the intake side of the motor, that can develop an air leak. There is 5 count 'em, 5 gaskets on the intake side between the air filter backing plate, carburetor, heat shield, intake manifold and another heat shield. Besides their tendencies to develop air leaks their pretty decent saw, shake the fillings out of you teeth but reliable.

I didn't find it in any of this years lineup (other countries besides USA) but it has been sold in the Pacfic Rim countries and SA up until this year from 1965 at least until the merger. Echo pulled it out of the USA in 1983 for EPA and regs stuff but i still managed to get a brand new one as well as a few from other countries. I am waiting on a blue and white one from Japan...Bob

don't forget the rules... pix or it didn't happen:biggrinbounce2:

+ 100000 on the 038 Mag damn near indestructible, although I've got a 028 that has been used heavily since 1978 and it has cut God only knows how much firewood and seen lots of fence row clearing. I wouldn't have a clue how to guess how many hours it has on it. It stihl runs like a new one, money can't buy it.

The best saw is one that starts easy, does not break often, just plain gets the job done.

Of course, I may have put words in the OPs mouth. Maybe he meant of new saws. Not enough info in the post to really answer the question. I guess I should shut up and go sit in the corner, lol.

Brad, I read it the same way you did - its why I put in my vote for the 08s in terms of how 'tough' it was built. The homie XL12 probably deserves a nod too - ive seen more than one of those get driven over with nothing worse than a bit of paint flaking off.

The best saw ever is the Husqvarna 61. I'm no expert but mine is such a sweet baby. I can let it sit for weeks on end, and within a couple pulls she is purring like a sweet kitten. It may be because in the past I have only ran the cheap saw's but I'm hooked on "brand name" saw's no more of the box store cheappy's for me.

I know its not a Mac 3200,too much plastic and does not stand up to fire too good:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

attachment.php
I know one tough saw is the L65 Husqvarna.

One that runs, Cuts wood, And one you don't
have to work on everytime you want to use it.

But if we are talking favorites then

Sachs Dolmar 166
Mcculloch 797

Lee

I don't have the experience with a multitude of brands and years (of manuf.) like others do on here. For the saws I have experience with, I would vote for the 200T, the hell we have put them through, they are a well made saw.

My vote goes to the Stihl 026. I haven't experienced the carb or air filter issues mentioned in the 20 years I've used mine. I have used a number of saws in my time and the 026 just seems to be a really good all around saw and other than the wear items such as clutch sprockets/chains etc the only part I ever changed was one isolator.

I'll through this out there. Its just my biased opinion, like everyone elses, LOL
The 3400/3700/4000 series Poulans. The 4000 being my personal favorite. But all are very easy to work on, simple and straight forward. Heck, I can work on them.:D They are a pleasant mix of magnesium & plastic, made in America.
:cheers:
Gregg,

:agree2: The overall quality was miles ahead of all other manufactures back in the day.

I've seen and have had more problems With Stihl's than any other brand of saw I've owned, and that's including the Pouland Wild thing. :popcorn:

I vote for the Stihl 260pro and the 034av or 034 av super. Both are capable of cutting more than most people would think if You have the experience to do so. Both would also last a homeowner a lifetime if broken in properly and maintained as needed. I have dropped alot of pretty big trees with a 260 and a 16 inch bar that most people would probably have brought out a 440 to cut. It all depends on the user, the saw, knowledge, and the sharpness of the chain. I own a 034av now I got rid of my super( one of the dumbest things ive ever done), and the 260 pro was a work saw. I also have a cheap homelite timberman45 that has probably served its life 9 times and still runs like new(my backup saw now). I wouldnt say that any saw is really better than another, its everyones personal preference. If something works good for you, and you like it keep using it!!!!!!!

Thanks! I pulled it out of an old barn "literally" cleaned it up, put new fuel lines in her and she started in three pulls. The old Poulans 3400/4000 and the 4200/5200 are some of, if not the best saws ever made!!

Latest posts

Back