what is the best? Husqvarna or Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zedxx

Reaction score
Hi to all, I've purchase a new chainsaw. Now I've a Pioneer P25 (very very good but with some little problems... I need spare parts!!!). I've decided to buy a new but bigger (not more 65cc). My local vendor propose a husky 365 or a stihl ms361. What is your opinion? let me know and let me know also the model that you suggest me. Thank You very much!!! I write from Italy, but this site is the best!!!

If'n ya like orange, buy the husky, if'n ya like orange an white, go stihl! Now would be good time to RUN!!!!!!

Andy

if u are in italy ,id look at the efco saws . id be interested in knowing what a 962 sells for over there,as thats where they are made.also,, niether saw u mentioned will shade them much ,im thinking.

:clap: nice answer...
it is easy to say but not to do. I've understood that are more or less at the same level. But can I ask you what are the real differences when you use every days? Someone tell me that Husky has a very good engine but lower quality, Stihl high quality but slow engine in comparisation with Husky and sometime problem with air filter. The cost is better for a Husky. In USA and Italy there are the same models. In Italy the medium price is 780 - 800$ for a Husky 365.

The 365 is a little heavier, has more RPM, power and tourqe than the 361 and is capable of running a bigger bar. Now we open the gates of H#ll.... Properly modded the 361 should be on par with the 365, then you mod the 365 it's badder yet! I dunno, I have no brand loyalty, I run what everyone on here calls the "homeonwer crap" of both brands, and have been pretty happy with both?
Andy

I am sure I will get corrected about somehting above:givebeer:

I have two 365's that I've had for 6 years. One of the best firewood saws I have used. Same chassis as the 372, so if you get board you can put the bigger jug and piston on it. I just modded a 365 and it out cuts a stock 372 (71.7cc) Price is a little high compared to the US. It retails for $550-650 here. I haven't run the MS361, but at only 59cc, I can't see it out cutting the stout torque of the Husky 365.

Steve

Husky 365

Freakingstang said:
I have two 365's that I've had for 6 years. One of the best firewood saws I have used. Same chassis as the 372, so if you get board you can put the bigger jug and piston on it. I just modded a 365 and it out cuts a stock 372 (71.7cc) Price is a little high compared to the US. It retails for $550-650 here. I haven't run the MS361, but at only 59cc, I can't see it out cutting the stout torque of the Husky 365.

Steve

I used to work with a guy who's only saw was a Husky 365. He couldn't kill that saw. He fell, cut logs in the brush, bucked on the landing, and cut tons of firewood with that saw. Not to mention his maintenance program is/was zero:cry: That saw ran under that load for over a year before a scored cylinder (if I remember right?) put it down. Damn good saw! I've never owned the 365, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one. Good luck:)

It used to be, back when I was in the trees, the Husky was lighter and had better torque/power at higher rpm, but fussier to tune. The Stihl was heavier and had its power at the lower rpm. I have all Husky except the Stihl on my Lewis Winch. Worked a 266xp relentlessly for 12 years with normal maintenance, one piston and the usual burned up bars and sprockets. The one thing that always annoyed me was the poor quality air filters on the older huskys.

In my right hand I have 6 for Stihl, and in my left hand I have a half dozen for Husky.

They both make good saws, with a few minor differences between them. You can't really go wrong with any of the Stihl or Husky professional models. Both will cut wood well, and it really comes down to which dealer is better, and your personal preferences. You're going to have to get them both in your hands, speak to the dealers, and see what is right for your needs. Neither is a bad choice, so you're going to have a lot of responses for both, that don't really do much to help you make your choice as much as holding the saws in your hands, and determining what you like and don't like about them, and then picking what you feel best meets your needs.

pigwot said:
The one thing that always annoyed me was the poor quality air filters on the older huskys.

Totally differant design than the 266. It uses centrifugal force as a prefilter (flywheel). The filter doesn't need to be cleaned hardly at all after a days use, vs cleaning the stihl's (066) between tank fills. The stihls are bad for air filters needing cleaning compared to the all the new huskies built after the 266.

Steve,
Yes, my 262 has the new filter system, very nicely designed. By the way did you know **** Williston, lived in Wooster, OH a while back, sold trucks and dump bodies for Arbortech and had a tent/event rental business on the side? Went fishing with him a few times in Michigan, and he was working for a line clearing firm in MI, but talking about selling for an arborist supply house again...

jack-the-ripper said:
My dad has ran a Husky 365 for the last 6 yrs. also without doing a thing to it. He uses it for firewood cutting. Cuts a good 8 cord per yr. Damn good saw.:hmm3grin2orange:

Amen - I have one and I love it. Been running it for the past 4 years...never gave me a lick of trouble...

zedxx said:
Hi to all, I've purchase a new chainsaw. Now I've a Pioneer P25 (very very good but with some little problems... I need spare parts!!!). I've decided to buy a new but bigger (not more 65cc). My local vendor propose a husky 365 or a stihl ms361. What is your opinion? let me know and let me know also the model that you suggest me. Thank You very much!!! I write from Italy, but this site is the best!!!

Hello ZEDXX, welcome to the forum. In a little while, this whole place will be crowded by europeans :cheers:

I have no experience with the 365, but the MS 361 really rocks. Can't go wrong with this saw, if you have some regular cutting to do.
Ciao.
Rolando

sawinredneck said:
:confused: The 365 is a little heavier, has more RPM, power and tourqe than the 361 and is capable of running a bigger bar. .....
Did you notice that he is in Italy?
Do you know that Italy is a part of Europe, and not the US - with the slightly sedated Virginia Beach MS361s?

As Belgian, I have no personal experience with the 365, as I deleted it from the list of candidates at an early stage when I ended oup with my :heart: MS361W. No regrets about that!

In Europe the 361 has the same max power output as the 365 (3.4 kW), at slightly higher rpms. On the flip side, the 365 has a slight edge in max torque, 3.9 Nm vs. 3.7 (for comparison, the 357xp and 359 both have 3.3 Nm) - all according to dyno tests by KWF/DLG.

I am pretty sure that the 361 will rev up faster, and max rpms are higher.
This probably gives it an edge in smaller wood, while it still should keep up pretty well in bigger wood.

What really makes the decision easy, is that the 361 weights .5 kg (or more than a pound) less than the 365. :clap:

Welcome to Arboristsite zedxx! :cheers:

There is a lot of good info here, but also a lot of less than optimum behaviour. :sword: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back