What is the Biggest Tree You Have Fallen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've cut alot of bigguns. More now, while clearing out these old grown over fencerows, than I ever did logging. It's worse now too, because these arent straight even trees. The trees that take over fencerows are growing every which day.
I have cut lots of 40", some 50" and one that was 68". I can't remember what theyre called now, but they're the trees that grow the big beans on them.
It was scary to cut though, because it was dead all the way through. It busted into peices when it hit the ground. I've cut alot of huge Poplars and buckeyes. Some big Cherrys too. Few big Oaks.

I've cut alot of bigguns. More now, while clearing out these old grown over fencerows, than I ever did logging. It's worse now too, because these arent straight even trees. I can't remember what theyre called now, but they're the trees that grow the big beans on them.
Catalpa? Or Locust? How you like the barb wire runnin through the fence rows? Little diffrent on the chain than logging?

Catalpa? Or Locust? How you like the barb wire runnin through the fence rows? Little diffrent on the chain than logging?

Nah not Locust. I did cut a decent sized Locust a few weeks ago though. 30" maybe. Made alot of good firewood. I'm not sure on the tree's name. We always called them bean trees. They have those big green bean looking things on them.
The wire is a major pain in my rear! You get better at dodging it with time, but there's always that one peice. One is all it takes to turn a good day bad. :msp_thumbdn:

Largest diameter I have cut myself is a 54" diameter box tree that had died from a termite infestation. I used my 084 for this job. The largest tree that I have helped fall was a 70" diameter Blackbutt tree that my brother cut and I had to wedge over. He used an old Stihl Contra for felling and an 056 for limbing. Some of the limbs were over 24" in diameter. The tree was about 120' tall. It had been struck by lightning and we fell it to salvage the timber. The largest diameter log that I have been involved with was a 82" diameter log that had been felled about 30 years ago by my father and left simply due to the fact he did not have anything big enough to salvage the tree. We used an old D8 and cut the log into 20' pieces to get it out. Even then we broke a 1-1/4" diameter wire rope twice in the process. One 20' section was a full load for the truck. I have a photo somewhere of the log sitting on the truck, I will see if I can dig it up and post it.
I helped my brother fall an old dead tree once with about a 50" diameter and unbeknown to us had a bees hive in a limb. Never seen my brother run so fast:)

Regards

Phil

Not me but a old neighbor who,s retired and addicted to walking!Hes a retired logger from the West Coast of the south island here in New Zealand.His Dad owned a logging company and Gavin said the biggest one he droped was 10 foot 6 diameter,him and his brother put scarfs on both side of it so the two man saw could get through it!!:blob2:
That Id pay to see!!

This 68" gum was the largest tree I have cut to date and it surely tested my felling skills. I was using a 30" bar on the 660 and it was just long enough to do the job. The tree is a red gum and had died during a bush fire. It must have been dead for quite a while because the wood was really hard - had to sharpen the chain twice just to fell the tree. I also ended up dropping 3 other dead gums that day ranging from 40” to 60” so a lot of chain sharpening all round.

A firewood contractor was brought in to cut up these old trees I had felled and he gave up after cutting the first tree... not worth it he said - to hard on his equipment.

142934d1278413708-dscf0084a-jpg

142935d1278413727-dscf0092a-jpg

Indian cigar = Catalpa ; with the beans hanging Supposed to be good for carvers. A little heavier and holds detail better than Bass wood very little grain like bass.

Not the biggest tree Ive cut but the craftsman/husqvarna 445 was the biggest disappointment I've ever seen.

20150428_191736.jpg

Yep, pg&e took 92 trees down on our property and I've got another 300+ to take, we got to be friends with the tree removal company. Bark Beetles are a hell of a bug. It's so bad if you stood next to a live pine you could hear them. That tree was the first to die on our property, two months later I counted 200:(

Swamp oak in the fence row that was 54" accross at the largest point. It was starting to die off and drop limbs. Most impressive was that it produced 4 chord of firewood and that single tree heated my house for one whole winter. Having to cut it down with an 18" bar required some creativity and caused a little puckering. Didn't have any big saws at the time. Now that I think about it it was about this same time of year in ... 1997. 20 years ago. Wow time flies.

Biggest I've cut were in the 42"-48" range. Quite a few of that size. Nothing too Monstrous. Mostly oaks. Used my Dolmar 7900 with 32" bar on a few, used my Stihl 460 with 25" bar on others, and my brothers Stihl 660 with 25" bar as well in the past. Cutting Big trees is fun, but manhandling 800 lb rounds that are only 20" long....not so much

biggest ??? 46 dbh hackberry!!! when it fell, it only feel to 45 degrees!!!!! lotsa farrwoood outta it,,and the day wont arise,,when I split and burn another!!!!! near as soft as cottonwood,,and burns just as fast........

Yep, pg&e took 92 trees down on our property and I've got another 300+ to take, we got to be friends with the tree removal company. Bark Beetles are a hell of a bug. It's so bad if you stood next to a live pine you could hear them. That tree was the first to die on our property, two months later I counted 200:(
I'm in the gold country above Auburn, if you were here last year, you wouldn't recognize our town today, the bug kill is that bad.

It's horrible to watch it progress, our property is in meadow lakes east of Fresno. The worst part is we've been getting 3 fires a summer since 2014 in our area. You've had some big ones up there too.

Back