What is the next best saw after the Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the answer to that but I could tell you a couple that go in front of it!

Let's see -
For my area -
Dealership support?
Brand recognition by all?
Resale value?
Number of people interested and modifying the saws?
Support on this forum?
In answer to the OP's question - What are you rating it on? Or do you just want to start another argument thread?

Jonsered might be the next saw after the Dolmar, placing it third or fourth.

Tell me, it's hard to beat a saw with the power of a 85 cc saw and the wieght of a 70 cc saw with excellent build quality. Steve

It is very hard to beat. I see less threads about problems with them on here than any other saw it seems, same goes for the 6400. Of course that could be because there are not as many of them out there, but I don't think so. I'll tell you what is better or not after I have a few more years of experience under my belt with saws.

There's a couple dolmar dealers within an hour of me. I do my own work on saws. I can have mail order parts here quicker than I can go to town to the stihl dealer for him to tell me he has to order and it will be next week. Husky is the same way. The saw has the best power to weight ratio out there. The cost is the best in $$/hp too. I don't like how they feel but in those aspects they're great. I've owned 2 of them. It doesn't matter how many people love a ms460. I think it should have been discontinued and the 440 kept. I think they're overweight underpowered saws stock. Modded they're still overweight with a little better power. Huskies in that size are my favorite with the jonsered 2nd. To me a 372 is first, then 576, 2171/2, 7900, 044/440.

Seems some have their creamsicle glasses fogged over.

Just like the day when the big three put out the best cars,,,,,,,,,,period!

If it didn't have a bowtie, or blue oval, then it was a piece of dung.

Some of the best power to weight ratio cars came from good ole Ma mopar.

History has proven this out, look at some of the auction results eh?

And look at the NHRA factoring on the mopar engines.

Like King Richard said "If ya can't beat them, outlaw them"

History will once again prove out the superiority of the 5100/7900.

Hold on to em if ya got em, someday they will surely be worth their true value.

I don't wear creamsickle glasses. I like alot of saws and one of my favorites are the POULANS and yes I do have some POULAN shades.

As for the 7900 I'm just not a fan and never will be. I've ran a couple and they felt bulky to me and the weight felt more than my 460 but it could've just been the design of the saw that made it feel this way.

I'm not saying that it's not a good saw by any means because it is a good saw just not on the top of my list like many others on here. Alot of you guys put it on a pedistal on this site and some of us just don't agree. Is it that big of a deal that we have our own opinions?

Saw's that I would place above the 7900 would be:
1 064
2 505-475
3 460-440
4 372-372XPW
The list could be longer but I'll stop there.

Hey some of you don't like the 460 and I don't jump your ### for it.

As for the car thing, the most sought after muscle car is the 67 STANG #2 is the 55 chevy. Look it up if you don't agree. This is a fact not my opinion.

plus one on the 064 that saw is the shiz for sure Im about ready to sell the 460 since it just sits since i got the 064

I don't wear creamsickle glasses. I like alot of saws and one of my favorites are the POULANS and yes I do have some POULAN shades.

As for the 7900 I'm just not a fan and never will be. I've ran a couple and they felt bulky to me and the weight felt more than my 460 but it could've just been the design of the saw that made it feel this way.

I'm not saying that it's not a good saw by any means because it is a good saw just not on the top of my list like many others on here. Alot of you guys put it on a pedistal on this site and some of us just don't agree. Is it that big of a deal that we have our own opinions?

1 064
2 505-475
3 460-440
4 372-372XPW

As for the car thing, the most sought after muscle car is the 67 STANG #2 is the 55 chevy. Look it up if you don't agree. This is a fact not my opinion.

The '55 Chevy was Not a muscle car.

And very few '67 'stangs (excepting the ultra rare Shelbys) could even come close to hangin' with a lowly 340 Duster/Demon

Actually some say the "goat was the first Muscle car,,,,,,,,,,, others say it was the '55 Chrysler 300...................................That's a fact!

1 064
2 505-475
3 460-440
4 372-372XPW

I think he ment faster, better performing, etc.

I think he ment faster, better performing, etc.

Well Sonny,

How many of them saws on his list have you ran?

Muscle cars, yeah I've sampled a few in my years, guess you can tell my favs were NOT built by the former big two.

Seems some have their creamsicle glasses fogged over.

Just like the day when the big three put out the best cars,,,,,,,,,,period!

If it didn't have a bowtie, or blue oval, then it was a piece of dung.

Some of the best power to weight ratio cars came from good ole Ma mopar.

History has proven this out, look at some of the auction results eh?

And look at the NHRA factoring on the mopar engines.

Like King Richard said "If ya can't beat them, outlaw them"

History will once again prove out the superiority of the 5100/7900.

Hold on to em if ya got em, someday they will surely be worth their true value.

I agree that the 7900 is superior to the other 70-80cc saws in a way. Superior is not how I would word it though. Thats only my opinion though. But the 5100? C'mon mang! That saw is my least favorite 50cc saw. A Husky 346 will walk the dog with a 5100 IMO. I do love the 7900, but out of all saws made, there is a couple I find more "superior", just not in the 70-80cc range.

Last edited:
had a 6400. now have a 460... the 460 is just built like it's ready to get down to business... and im talking little things such as the air filtration even the little metal plate thats mounted underneath by the rear handle... the 6400-7900 might run great but considering everything about the saw my vote goes to the 460

The '55 Chevy was Not a muscle car.

And very few '67 'stangs (excepting the ultra rare Shelbys) could even come close to hangin' with a lowly 340 Duster/Demon

Actually some say the "goat was the first Muscle car,,,,,,,,,,, others say it was the '55 Chrysler 300...................................That's a fact!

You are correct. The Mustang was not a muscle car, it was a pony car. Just like the Camaro and the Cuda, not muscle cars. The Ford Gran Torino, and Chevy Chevelle, Monte Carlo, were muscle cars.

Back