What is the Value of A Like New Stihl 029 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Howdy!

I've been scouring the Internet trying to create my arsenal of chainsaws. There are plenty of saws available over here in Greece, but re-sell values are something I can't cope with. I just can't part with $400 for a saw that looks like it needs a rebuild yesterday.

Right now I have a gap in the 50cc range of saw. I have a very strong affinity for Dolmar and Makita saws, but other brands are satisfactory as well. Anyway, I happened across this little 029 Super that is MINT! I think the guy probably bought it and thought he would use it and never really did.

I've read these are easily upgraded with the MS390 P&C, but I already have a bigger saw that I'm putting together at the moment (Dolmar 6400 to 7910 conversion), so I'll probably run it as-is, if I buy it. The guy is asking 300 Euros, but I believe he will take less.

Cheers,
Dan

Link to the Ad.

029/MS290 are very good farm/homeowner saws, still well supported both by Stihl and aftermarket manufacturers.
That said, Stihl sold truly enormous numbers of them and many "mint" saws have actually been rebuilt using aftermarket parts, some fo them good (Meteor pistons and cylinders) and some of them not so much good (you-know-what brand). So second hand prices are not high, regardless of conditions, and are inching down despite many sellers believing they are holding to some treasure of the greatest rarity.

Since we both live in the €uro area we can talk prices. I sold my last MS290 last year for €250 plus shipping and gave the buyer a spare genuine Stihl chain as well. You see these saws listed all the time for €350 or even €400 but nobody is going to pay those prices for those saws, not with brand new Husqvarna 445II's going for €450 including shipping. I originally priced this saw at "€350 OBO" but didn't get any bite until I lowered the price to "€300 OBO".
So if the seller is ready to accept €250 plus shipping, that's what the saw is worth right now.

300€ is big money for a second hand homeowner saw. Is your topend from the 6400 in good shape , then i was looking for a dolmar or makita with a bad topend.

029/MS290 are very good farm/homeowner saws, still well supported both by Stihl and aftermarket manufacturers.
That said, Stihl sold truly enormous numbers of them and many "mint" saws have actually been rebuilt using aftermarket parts, some fo them good (Meteor pistons and cylinders) and some of them not so much good (you-know-what brand). So second hand prices are not high, regardless of conditions, and are inching down despite many sellers believing they are holding to some treasure of the greatest rarity.

Since we both live in the €uro area we can talk prices. I sold my last MS290 last year for €250 plus shipping and gave the buyer a spare genuine Stihl chain as well. You see these saws listed all the time for €350 or even €400 but nobody is going to pay those prices for those saws, not with brand new Husqvarna 445II's going for €450 including shipping. I originally priced this saw at "€350 OBO" but didn't get any bite until I lowered the price to "€300 OBO".
So if the seller is ready to accept €250 plus shipping, that's what the saw is worth right now.
I was thinking of seeing it firsthand tomorrow. If the guy will take 250 Eu, I may take it, and I don't have to worry about shipping. I'm outside of Athens, but I have to go anyway to take care of some errands tomorrow anyway. Also, the guy didn't advertise or even mention the condition of the saw in the ad, I'm saying 'Mint' as my own personal opinion of how the saw looks. If you put it beside my Makita, you would think the Stihl was newer if you didn't know better. ;)

300€ is big money for a second hand homeowner saw. Is your topend from the 6400 in good shape , then i was looking for a dolmar or makita with a bad topend.
I thought 300 was a little rich. Seeing a lot of saws selling pretty high $$ these days. There was a guy that had a Dolmar 6400 and wouldn't budge on the price at 370 EU--pretty sure he still owns it! I ended up getting a Dolmar 6400 in New condition for $425. I bought a 'new' but old stock saw, so the P&C are new!

Three years ago I sold one for $240, delivered. It ran perfectly. The owner said it was a bargain and uses it today. I really have no idea what the difference is between an MS 290 and an 029 Super. Anyone know?

I have on board a vintage 028 Wood Boss that has no chain brake and never had one, but it will run any day with that 029.

Three years ago I sold one for $240, delivered. It ran perfectly. The owner said it was a bargain and uses it today. I really have no idea what the difference is between an MS 290 and an 029 Super. Anyone know?

I have on board a vintage 028 Wood Boss that has no chain brake and never had one, but it will run any day with that 029.

Thanks for the info. I learned to cut with an 028. Great little saws and tough as nails--they've cut a lot of cordwood, that's for sure. I'm not familiar with the MS290, or most later model Stihl saws in general.

I dont think if i had a few saws that id be looking at heavy 50cc saw

I dont think if i had a few saws that id be looking at heavy 50cc saw
Having a 50cc saw would be very handy for me and the work I have to do. Its enough of a saw to handle most of my jobs, but not all of them. I am operating on a budget, but have some cash to throw at a decent used saw, or one that needs repair.
This is not the only saw I have my eye on, just wanting to see what others think of the potential purchases. I also found an Echo CS-500ES for a little more cash. It is basically new. And, I have an offer on AS for damaged Dolmar 510. We'll see what pans out.

I really have no idea what the difference is between an MS 290 and an 029 Super. Anyone know?

The 029Super was the more powerful model of the 029. 029Super had 2.5cc more displacement as the normal 029. With the name change in 2000, the 029Super became the MS 290. The model description shield is now round and clipped on the side of the fan housing instead of the top of the machine. Also the fan housing with rewind starter was changed.

I acquired some kinda 029 or 290 6 or years ago.
If you were here id let her go cheap. I never run it cause its heavier than my 026 that runs circles around it.

They are very popular around here

If you were here id let her go cheap. I never run it cause its heavier than my 026 that runs circles around it.

They are very popular around here.
The 029 and 290 are both heavier than my (1) Makita 520i, (2) Husky 353 and 350, and (3) Stihl 026 PRO. I could add more to the list of saws that I'd rather own than the overweight blunderbuss.

They are very popular around here
I've honestly never even touched one. Like I said, I ran an 028 for many years. If its heavy, I may pass it up. My trip got postponed, so I didn't get to see the saw anyway.

The 029 and 290 are both heavier than my (1) Makita 520i, (2) Husky 353 and 350, and (3) Stihl 026 PRO. I could add more to the list of saws that I'd rather own than the overweight blunderbuss.
How is that 520i? Wouldn't mind stumbling across one of those some day.

I've honestly never even touched one. Like I said, I ran an 028 for many years. If its heavy, I may pass it up. My trip got postponed, so I didn't get to see the saw anyway. How is that 520i? Wouldn't mind stumbling across one of those some day.
Used it yesterday and it started and ran flawlessly at 10 degrees F. No decomp valve needed, and it still has plenty of power. One of the best firewood saws I have ever owned. I'm running it with a husky chain, .325" pitch, 18" bar, .050" gauge, which I find is smooth cutting. I'd rate it about dead even with the Stihl 026 PRO.

Some say the chain brake engages too easily, but I found a way to get around that with a simple shim. Considering that I paid a delivered price of less than $200 for it, I have no intention of selling it. Once in awhile you will see these up for sale, but I believe they were discontinued some time ago. Sometimes good saws are discontinued when they never should be. The Husky 353 fits into that category.

I don't know about Europe but a really minty 029 Super would probably sell for around $300 in my area. It's a 56cc saw (46mm cylinder)
For the exact same weight, you could have the 039 version with 64cc (49mm cylinder)
I personally wouldn't do an engine conversion on a good running 029 but would never build up a saw as an 029 if it needed engine work. I always make them into 039/MS390 saws.

Latest posts

Back