What is your climbing saw hanging on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I LOVE FIREWOOD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good laynard for my climb saw, just wanna see some pictures of what you people use for your saw while climbing. Thanks

Nothing.
treejob_036.jpg

Mine is something I got out of Sherrill Tree mag/website. Kind of like a dog leash, but with a big built in ring on it, so you can either just let it hang long and far out of your way, or clip it on the ring so it's really close by

Mine is something I got out of Sherrill Tree mag/website. Kind of like a dog leash, but with a big built in ring on it, so you can either just let it hang long and far out of your way, or clip it on the ring so it's really close by

Me too. Here's the link...click here. Third one down (mine is the orange one with the snap on the end). I clip the snap to my rear saddle loop, and the ring gets clipped to either of two bent gate biners I have on either side of my saddle. The gates face out, so I just have to drop the ring onto the gate, and it's hooked. Getting the saw off of the biner is also a one handed operation.

I use an end of an old climbing line cut to the proper length with a locking carabiner on each end held on with scaffold knots. The carabiner allows it to be clipped close to your saddle when necessary.

Working without a lanyard of some type I suppose is fine with no chance of somebody being underneath you. I have seen saws come out of the trees too many times not to recognise the extreme danger that represents.

Dave

I have the breakaway bungee lanyard. I clip it to my belt with a false chain link, then to the saw with a screw lock aluminum biner. I have a aluminum pear biner tucked behind the belt on my saddle that the big ring on the lanyard hooks to, keeping the saw hanging short.

Why don't they:

1. Learn to make proper cuts so their saw doesn't get pulled

2. Use a breakaway lanyard

?

It can happen to anybody, anytime, proper cuts or not. The breakaway is still going to send the saw to the ground if you can't pull it out. I personally have never sent a saw out of a tree in 15 years of climbing, but have had a few pulled and have seen it many times.

I use a lanyard available through sherrill that has a dog snap on the end with a metal ring 6 inches from a loop that you girth hitch around the saw's clip. I connect the dog snap to a breakaway ring on my saddle. If you don't have breakaway rings on your saddle you should buy a breakaway bungie lanyard.

Grabbed a Buckingham breakaway bungee lanyard, has 2 rings on it as well, I climb with it tight to my belt, then let it swing away once I'm in the tree if I need to. Usually it stays tight to my belt.

I use an end of an old climbing line cut to the proper length with a locking carabiner on each end held on with scaffold knots. The carabiner allows it to be clipped close to your saddle when necessary.

Working without a lanyard of some type I suppose is fine with no chance of somebody being underneath you. I have seen saws come out of the trees too many times not to recognise the extreme danger that represents.

Dave

I don't know but I would figure at your age and with your wisdom you would NOT strap a saw to your hip with a rope that breaks at 8 grand, but I don't know.
Yeah, there is sh^% falling from the sky; watch out! I must have let the saw go about 3 times in my ilustrious carrer. Fixed em up, they ran great, a little expesive the one time. It hit the concrete like a watermelon, had to put all new plastic on the saw. Well, new used plastic mostly. Ash seems to like to hold on to the way I sharpen it I guess.
One time I was lost in the sauce up there doing my thing and someone comes underneath and screams " YO!" Gave me such a start I dropped a biner on his head. Didn't really hit him, actaully close though.

a combination of small diameter bungee cord and small loop with snap.

rides on small 7mm loop, snapped in when saw is not in use. 8mm bungee with mini biners holds on to saw when in use. bungee will support weight of saw, but will break if saw gets torn away.

Back