what is your definition of the word hack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
in your own words tell us what your definition of the word hack is.
for me the word hack has nothing to do with being a certified arbo. heck, i know a few certs that hack trees! in my words a hack is a person that cuts trees without knowing or understanding the tree, they will often top, spike, strip and or remove trees without having/understand why. i have seen tops cut off, codom leads removed, trees stripped and raped of 80% of leaves, cables so tight they caused failure, flush cuts, stubs, rips, spiked prunes, saw chain scars every where, huge trunk scars from falling wood parts, gut thins, lion tails, home owners being lied to about ants,vines killing trees, people being scared into removal. when will it end? price cutting, circle talk, company bashing. I HATE HACKS!!! i will do poor tree practices but only after i advise the costumer about the problems that follow. i give it to em strait, im not into competitive bidding. I give them my bottom dollar. i do not negotiate with price. i stay up to date with tree care and equipment. i see companies still using 3-strand rope and using the old half hitch to lower wood, they claim to know everything, they dont know ****! just because you are a good climber and can run a saw aloft dont mean ya know what your doing.:cheers:

You pretty much nailed it. Second definition would be the sound a cat makes trying to cough up a hairball!

My definition would be a guy that has two different work boots, ties up his spurs with rope, he's hung over, doesn't use a climbing line, only has one lanyard, no safety pants or helmet, no glasses, and falls out of the tree and starts bleeding out of his mouth,nose,eyes,and ears. Don't laugh I know this guy. You wood think he wood learn his lesson the first time and at least use a second lanyard. But no way. Oh I almost forgot he only has ONE saw and no handsaw. I saw this guy do large removals with a crane( he was workin for a guy) I tell you I could not believe what I saw. Like I say This world is so messed up what ever you can think of, the craziest messed up $hit it's going on right now. Somewhere. For example Guy in a dumpster having sex with a can of :spam:

A hack is someone being where they don't belong. Like someone cutting in line.

Years ago I showed up on a job where a red oak, struck by lightning was being removed. I was mouth agape as I examined the this company that was hired to do the job. Mind you the customer was very well off and particularly fussy people. Truck was falling apart equipment looked like it was way to old for use. It took them two days which seemed right the tree was huge. When thy left they were all drunk especially the climber. I found two pint bottles of vodka and many beer bottles stashed in the bushes. This wasn't a rinky dink company they had five guys in their 30's and even though the truck and equipment was tattered it was big league. Pirates, hacks, drunks in trees, go figure.

The guy who pulls up to do an estimate, old pick-up leaking oil on client's driveway, opens his door, beer cans fall out...

They are not always drunks, or have Sanford&Son like equipment. I know a few good arborists with beat-up iron that they are happy and proud that "it is all paid for!" To me HACK is an ideology of intentional ignorance, they have heard the science, but do not believe it for their anecdotal experiance.

In my mind the true professional falls in a spectrum of concern. At one end is the trimmer who will do whatever the client wants while trying to not destroy the tree, whereas the other end is populated by those who see themselves as tree advocates. The latter hold to the Hippocratic oath with there work. This is where I coined the phrase "Advocatus pro Arborobum" with the help of a few others who understand Latin better then I.

For myself, I feel I'm more in the middle, leaning towards the advocacy. The tree will outlive a number of generations, though they may be property in a legal sense, people just might be temporary stewards of the grand lives.

I think this is what really separates a treeworker from a hack. The hack cuts wood, the treeworker has an interest for the trees themselves.

I think this is what really separates a treeworker from a hack. The hack cuts wood said:
I have to agree with you and well stated. I am less of a poet than you but try to convey the same point. Nice touch with the latin!

I would define it as someone who THINKS he can do what others do based on what they have seen as the end result of someone elses work, not knowing how they got to that end. They try and the tree looks like crap (see apple thread) yet claim they are just as good as the pro. But the definition goes beyond sights and product. It also goes to what that person knows in terms of aftercare and continued pruning and trimming. Did they treat the customer respectfully and did their employees act respectfully and professional. Did they use the proper gear, making clean cuts and leaving the area clean after the job is done.

There are hacks in every profession. As a matter of fact, in my main line of business, I am working with a framing crew that are total hacks. They came in cheap and thats all the GC wants. It's too bad. Later, problems will arise out of their poor work and in the end, will cost more to fix, similar to what a arbor hack would cause. Only way to get rid of hacks is to formalize the industry with registrations, licenses and inspections like a plumber or electrician. With so many variables in the tree industry, it would be impossible to do that so in the end, the hacks will always be around.

HACK is an ideology of intentional ignorance, they have heard the science, but do not believe it for their anecdotal experiance.

In my mind the true professional falls in a spectrum of concern. At one end is ... those who see themselves as tree advocates. The latter hold to the Hippocratic oath with there work. This is where I coined the phrase "Advocatus pro Arborobum" ...
:clap:

Let's hear it for the Advocati! The others are not worth all the attention they get.

I would broaden it to include incompetents in other professions. Basically anybody taking money for a job where they are clueless. Congress?

This aint anysite, its Arboristsite!!!/tree care&climbing

I would broaden it to include incompetents in other professions. Basically anybody taking money for a job where they are clueless. Congress?
this is arboristsite, we talk trees!! the word hack can be used in any profession, im talking trees and dont care about other fields. imo a roofer can relate more @ roofing.com or a lab man @ labmen.com i cant believe how many non tree people hang out here:dizzy: almost once a week a random onlooker will approach our work site and start talking that crap, "i use ta be a tree man" or, "i used ta be a climber"
hay lab man, whats your deal? you dont climb,you dont work in this field,you know nothing about trees or the care of them, so why post in the commercial tree care and climbing thread:confused: sorry to be an :censored: but imo you dont belong posting in this side of a/s and besides beg fer rep misses you so go post up in off the topic or home owner helper thread

Hack is colloquial slang that originates from the journalistic world. It's a reporter of a basically unscrupulous nature. The term has been hijacked to multiple uses.

I didn't know the origin of "hack". Thanks.

"colloquial slang" Hmmm...That would best be called "trade jargon" in this case. It's not local, it's occupational. Just helping out !

my idea of hack makes me think of the other local lawn guy who is a complete idiot. His idead of tree felling is dropping a tree from the base and using the house as a cushion or dropping it into the street while cars are comming. and thats not all with that jack:censored:.

Latest posts

Back