what is your definition of the word hack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you up late drinking again will? You think the customer cares or even KNOWS a good job from a bad one ? ALL that matters at the end of the day is getting PAID. MONEY. Nosak might be a hack to you but i bet he makes 10 times what you do in a day.

Are you up late drinking again will? You think the customer cares or even KNOWS a good job from a bad one ? ALL that matters at the end of the day is getting PAID. MONEY. Nosak might be a hack to you but i bet he makes 10 times what you do in a day.

hey now i don't agree with that its your career choice to care for the trees

yea i am broke but i respect myself, i 've looked at plenty of work where the customer was mind set on topping work i won't do it so theres times when i have trouble paying my bills, but i'm not ashamed people know me as a respectful tree man you can say anything about me but you don't know me at all :givebeer

Well! This thread went to Hades in a handcart. Thanks guys, you made us all look good.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread.

x20. Real professional guys. Real professional.

Back on topic for a moment...

There are two kinds of hack imo. The first is simply ignorant and does poor work like topping or lopping because he thinks it is correct. The second and by far the worst, is the hack that does the same work knowing that it is wrong.

I am in business to make money. If I encounter a client who insists on topping or lopping or flush cuts or any other practises which fall outside AS 4373 (thats the Aussie standard) I go out of my way to explain the reasons why these practises are bad for him, me and the tree. I have about 75% conversion rate here. For the other 25% I smile, give them a card and wish them a nice day. To those people who are succesful in this industry long term it will come as no surprise to discover that I make a good living working this way.

It is simply wrong to say that "hacking" is a necessity of success in this industry. If you struggle to make a decent living using proper pruning techniques then the problem is your ability to sell yourself and NOT the standard of your work. Invest in yourself and take a business sales course. When you learn how to talk and especially how to listen to your clients you will be blown away by the results you achieve.

Mediocrity is to be avoided.

:cheers:

This thread more aptly illustrates what is wrong with the entire USA and the whole world for that matter, rather than a statement on the abroculture industry. You are all feeling the threatening frustration that countless armies of displaced, outsourced and downsized work forces have felt. This very site teaches neophytes how to do tree work in a few evenings of reading. I have seen many comments on this and other threads where the “hack” is the guy without hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, ie. the guy with the pick-up truck and the yard sale home-lite.

Like it or not he IS your competition, so is the drunk and the guy that does it wrong even though he knows better. From what I’ve seen, many of you hold certifications that I will never have. Most of you have invested a large amount of time, effort and money in training, expensive equipment, and even college educations. Rightfully so, you want to see a reward for that investment. What you aren’t counting on however is what has happened to many of us in other industries and job sectors, there are just too many people chasing too few assets and opportunities on the planet. Many of us recently entering the tree business, bring with us a wealth of experience from previous careers that may actually give us (the hacks) a sales advantage, a cost advantage and even some real life experiences that put us ahead of established tree businesses.

I watch Nosak and I laugh. I think the guy has to be playing a part! There’s no way this is a real live human. If I came out of my house one afternoon and “saw for hire” was screaming at the top of his lungs, shouting down a challenging employee, I’d call a pow-wow and ask him how much it would cost if he left right now. Yet the meticulous guy out there with the attitude that he is going to give the customer what he needs for the price, while being courteous and safe even if he’s using a hand rake rather than a back pack blower? That’s the guy that’s not a hack.

In my area I recently cut entwined and sprawling live oak limbs from what seemed like miles of cable communication lines. It was a removal. After the pruning was done, I was looking forward to the next time on the job several days latter when I could just take the trees down. I pulled up only to find that the owner got frustrated with my “lack of progress”. Someone came along and gave a low ball offer to drop the remaining portion of the trees. Because it was such a big job, I’d given her a per hour option that she took knowing I’d make up for all of the climbing and pruning on the back end. I never considered the possibility that someone would come take the gravy portion of the job and make it look like they’d done more than me for the money!

No matter what your qualifications, you can and will be underbid and outsourced! Guard against it! Treat you customers’ right. Sell your professionalism. Show up when you say you will. Honor your quotes and promises both verbal and written. Don’t come back with extra charges, unless the customer agrees to the possibility first. Clean up your mess. Work quietly and safely! Stay educated. And keep posting tips and tricks of the trade on arborsite, it’s what gives me the edge!
:laugh:

This thread more aptly illustrates what is wrong with the entire USA and the whole world for that matter, rather than a statement on the abroculture industry. You are all feeling the threatening frustration that countless armies of displaced, outsourced and downsized work forces have felt. This very site teaches neophytes how to do tree work in a few evenings of reading. I have seen many comments on this and other threads where the “hack” is the guy without hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, ie. the guy with the pick-up truck and the yard sale home-lite.

Like it or not he IS your competition, so is the drunk and the guy that does it wrong even though he knows better. From what I’ve seen, many of you hold certifications that I will never have. Most of you have invested a large amount of time, effort and money in training, expensive equipment, and even college educations. Rightfully so, you want to see a reward for that investment. What you aren’t counting on however is what has happened to many of us in other industries and job sectors, there are just too many people chasing too few assets and opportunities on the planet. Many of us recently entering the tree business, bring with us a wealth of experience from previous careers that may actually give us (the hacks) a sales advantage, a cost advantage and even some real life experiences that put us ahead of established tree businesses.

I watch Nosak and I laugh. I think the guy has to be playing a part! There’s no way this is a real live human. If I came out of my house one afternoon and “saw for hire” was screaming at the top of his lungs, shouting down a challenging employee, I’d call a pow-wow and ask him how much it would cost if he left right now. Yet the meticulous guy out there with the attitude that he is going to give the customer what he needs for the price, while being courteous and safe even if he’s using a hand rake rather than a back pack blower? That’s the guy that’s not a hack.

In my area I recently cut entwined and sprawling live oak limbs from what seemed like miles of cable communication lines. It was a removal. After the pruning was done, I was looking forward to the next time on the job several days latter when I could just take the trees down. I pulled up only to find that the owner got frustrated with my “lack of progress”. Someone came along and gave a low ball offer to drop the remaining portion of the trees. Because it was such a big job, I’d given her a per hour option that she took knowing I’d make up for all of the climbing and pruning on the back end. I never considered the possibility that someone would come take the gravy portion of the job and make it look like they’d done more than me for the money!

No matter what your qualifications, you can and will be underbid and outsourced! Guard against it! Treat you customers’ right. Sell your professionalism. Show up when you say you will. Honor your quotes and promises both verbal and written. Don’t come back with extra charges, unless the customer agrees to the possibility first. Clean up your mess. Work quietly and safely! Stay educated. And keep posting tips and tricks of the trade on arborsite, it’s what gives me the edge!
Wow that was insightful and maybe you can shorten your reply to less than a page you can post more than once here.:laugh:

Hey Yankme! If you would of put the hammer down you maybe would of gotten those trees done if not do it the next day. Maybe you need to sharpen that edge you were talkin about. And you won't learn much study'n peoples posts. If you are relying on that, you got issues. And hey if you got anything worth while to say, by all means share it with us but I think most of us here are well beyond your ideas of professionalism and business approach.

where did you go?????

Working hard. I am also a lawn jocky. Was asked could i take down a dead pine today, real dead and real tall- hanging over a near new shed :dizzy: i told the customer no thank you. Should have took a picture, looked like as soon as you touch it by by shed. I did give the customer a companys # that could do it.

Working hard. I am also a lawn jocky. Was asked could i take down a dead pine today, real dead and real tall- hanging over a near new shed :dizzy: i told the customer no thank you. Should have took a picture, looked like as soon as you touch it by by shed. I did give the customer a companys # that could do it.
Did you get that cat yet there is one for sale here for 28,000 with tracks and a/c

Did you get that cat yet there is one for sale here for 28,000 with tracks and a/c

No bob cat yet:cry:. Have to wait to see what city lawn contracts i get this year. They gave a 3 month extension on what we had because they are changing the way their contract term is??? Looked at a t250 with cab 900 hrs $28000.00 Might be me in a few months, i don't know.

Latest posts

Back