What is your favorite part of a rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup

Not if you're patient
Well you are probably right. I am the most impatient person alive.

I will say, that MS360 on craigslist I asked about a few weeks ago is still there, and its calling my name. I offered him $100 when it first posted and he said no. I told him if he changes his mind to let me know.

I keep going back and looking at the ad. I dont know why I want it so bad. I was thinking about offering $150 since it's so clean, but here I am still patiently waiting for him to call me and say he will take $100.

It needs a new piston at a minimum. Should I stay patient or just offer the $150?
00S0S_9moFlOotQW0_1200x900.jpg

Sorry OP, I didnt mean to sidetrack your thread.

I guess the real answer to my favorite part of rebuilding a saw is getting one I could never justify paying full price for, for dirt cheap.

The sound it makes when you chuck it into a dumpster. I have learned a long time ago that throwing good money and time at bad iron is a fools game.

I will say, that MS360 on craigslist I asked about a few weeks ago is still there, and its calling my name. I offered him $100 when it first posted and he said no. I told him if he changes his mind to let me know.

I keep going back and looking at the ad. I dont know why I want it so bad. I was thinking about offering $150 since it's so clean, but here I am still patiently waiting for him to call me and say he will take $100.

It needs a new piston at a minimum. Should I stay patient or just offer the $150?
View attachment 783204

I guess the real answer to my favorite part of rebuilding a saw is getting one I could never justify paying full price for, for dirt cheap.

$150 isn't too much for it and they're easy to work on and when done right are a very nice firewood saw. I have an 034 that I made an 036 out of and I like it fairly well.

$150 isn't too much for it and they're easy to work on and when done right are a very nice firewood saw. I have an 034 that I made an 036 out of and I like it fairly well.
From what I understand, its essentially the same as my 034 Super, which is one of my best runners. I bought it dirt cheap as a non-runner.

View attachment 783204

If all it needs is a piston, it's worth it. You will wait forever if he has sold it. Why not see it in person, take off the muffler and start at $125. Cylinders usually clean up fine unless a foreign body is involved.

I'm surprised that people scrap out nice saws, found an 026 Pro in the local salvage yard, think I picked it up for around $10. Rebuilding it was fairly easy, just needed cosmetic items like top cover and air filter cover. I was more elated at the purchase site than I was after fixing it up..View attachment 783241
You really have to wonder why anybody threw that saw away. Fabulous find and that is why I still own two of them. Two thumbs up!

You really have to wonder why anybody threw that saw away. Fabulous find and that is why I still own two of them. Two thumbs up!
The same day I found two other saws, an Echo top handle and another saw, can't remember what it was, all in the salvage. I've since been over there and they've had a couple of concrete saws which I wasn't interested in...

The same day I found two other saws, an Echo top handle and another saw, can't remember what it was, all in the salvage. I've since been over there and they've had a couple of concrete saws which I wasn't interested in...
I have rebuilt a couple of concrete saws -- a Stihl and a Husqvarna. But, they are a small nightmare to work on. I don't offer to rebuild these anymore. The echo top handle saws are usually fair game.

I disassembled it, cleaned it, put new bearings on the crank, assembled the lower end with seals, ported the cylinder, did the leak down test. Rebuilt the carb fuel system.
Here she sits like a waiting bride ready to be taken and fired up. That first pop is exciting as a kid on Christmas morning, the second pop the excitement is peaking, then don’t tease me baby, she fires up and is idling. It’s the thrill of the hunt to find all the parts then to finally hear her run, that makes me feel like a Proud papa again.

I have rebuilt a couple of concrete saws -- a Stihl and a Husqvarna. But, they are a small nightmare to work on. I don't offer to rebuild these anymore. The echo top handle saws are usually fair game.
I've rebuilt several this last couple of years but I've never owned one. Not my favorite saw to work on, I've only done Stihls, a 700, several 420s and I think a 400. I do have an electric chop saw for cutting pipes, etc.

Back