What kind of saddle are you using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HEY MTC, how ya liking the Bashlin?

I like it, quite alot actually. My only complaint is the webbing that runs through the d ring is a bit to big, so as it gets dirty, the movement slows. A friend of mine replaced the webbing with thin cordage, which runs much quicker. Also, the lining on the back has been worn off, but no big deal.

Great saddle! Highly reccomend it.

I really enjoy my new VarioBelt from Petzl. Nice wide back, very light and lots of attachment points and made in a modular design where you can add features to suit your needs. Much much more comfy than any weaver or Karl Kummerling style saddle.

just moved up to the buckingham versitale.

don't even know it's there. finally comfort!
before all i wanted was to get down and get the saddle off.now,i just want to stay in the tree.

my saddles

i use a butterfly II and also a weaver double sliding D indiv. leg straps. The BII is amazing, forms to my body like nothing i have ever tried, it has a perfect width backpad and is super light. The Weaver was tough at first but as soon as it was broken in it became a great saddle. I like the BII better but the weaver i am betting will outlast it by years.

So with that Bashlin X, how does the bridge connector 'slide' with those adjustment buckles in the way??

I use a Butterfly - the original, and have a Tree Magic for spare and when the BF finally wears out (could be a while yet)

Master 2 for the past 4 years. Not that comfy but maybe it helps production. Limb walking isn`t a big deal but blocking down hurts. Its usually my abs and ankles that hurt the most, not so much the saddle. The D rings are smallish and I have to look and use both hands to "re-snap" my saftey, I wish it was bit more user friendly. I also weigh 210 lbs so thats a lot of weight on a wee bit of nylon. But on the plus side of things I will say that Buck saddles are strong, durable and long lasting. I do feel safe in the Master. The dam thing won`t wear out so it may be years before I upgrade.

GG

So with that Bashlin X, how does the bridge connector 'slide' with those adjustment buckles in the way??

I use a Butterfly - the original, and have a Tree Magic for spare and when the BF finally wears out (could be a while yet)

They dont...... I used one for awhile and sold it the one of our grounds man.......

I have an old double weaver and a newer master iv... I really like the master. It is good when walking and really good when chunking down... It is just a good saddle... I wont be spending all that money on the FU-FUUUU stuff anymore. Just going to use what works...

ALL though, one of my friends is using a Butterfly right now and he says he loves it and will never go back.....

Hey GlennG... Not one to tell a fellow his business, but try making your flip a wee bit longer and and getting it up higher on the leader..... Also look into some (( angled C )) pads.... I have them on my buckinghams and my bashlins...... You said that ya weigh 210... Well amigo, I weigh in at 280..... And that is what I faught for the longest time... Ankles more then abs.. I run my spikes right above the tops of my boots and those pads really help out. Hope that helps ya...

Master 2 for the past 4 years. Not that comfy but maybe it helps production. Limb walking isn`t a big deal but blocking down hurts. Its usually my abs and ankles that hurt the most, not so much the saddle. The D rings are smallish and I have to look and use both hands to "re-snap" my saftey, I wish it was bit more user friendly. I also weigh 210 lbs so thats a lot of weight on a wee bit of nylon. But on the plus side of things I will say that Buck saddles are strong, durable and long lasting. I do feel safe in the Master. The dam thing won`t wear out so it may be years before I upgrade.

GG

I have a Master II and that's how I feel about mine.
I did have a problem with the ends of the waist padding digging into the sides of my stomach. Part of the issue was adjusting it to fit better, but it still hurt after working for a while.
I tied a piece of Ultratech between two of the extra loops to make a bridge. Now I connect my carabiners to the bridge and that helps a whole lot.

I have a Master II and that's how I feel about mine....
I tied a piece of Ultratech between two of the extra loops to make a bridge. Now I connect my carabiners to the bridge and that helps a whole lot.

Having fabric on fabric will wear it out faster. Use quicklinks in the loops.

I have delta links in mine for easier attatchment.

Having fabric on fabric will wear it out faster. Use quicklinks in the loops.

I have delta links in mine for easier attatchment.

Yeah, I've noticed a little wear on the saddle's loops.
Thanks for the tip.

I have some stainless clevises, but they cause the knots to come closer together thus taking away an extra 3 inches or so of usable space on the bridge.

What screw links do you use?

What screw links do you use?

Mallion Rapide, they are one of the few that are man-rated. This one is is from the Sherrill catalog

15998.jpg

I like how the carrabiner will sit in the courner, but not bunch up the sewn loop.

My problem with clevis' is they are harder to check for tightness then a quicklink. I can just look and see it needs a twist every now and then.

I had a salesman suggest a rap with a hammer...:eek:...

Currently using a Glide saddle and am quite pleased with it. It is comfortable, adjustable, moderately priced and seems like it will last well. I climbed for years with a BryDan and really had no complaints. I have also used the Weaver with leg straps and floating D, pretty basic saddle but it worked.

Dave

great post

I'm looking at buying my third buckingham aussie traverse. floating D's and and two d ring on both sides. With the removable bowson seat. With equipment loops/rings(4). Super comfortable once ya break'em in and get that stiffness out of them. But can't find it for sale here in the US, back home it retails for $480(australian dollars) last time i bought one. I haven't seen most of the models/brands quoted in this thread can any one post a pic or two with the prices

9thyear,i usually float.

sometimes if i want to stay still or anchor in,i tie in to one of the loops with a caribiner.it really works nice.

I'm currently climbing with a secondhand weaver buttstrap saddle(pinches the hips bad). A week ago I went to my local Sherrill dealer to try out the glide and the master 2 deluxe. All they had were mediums and tried them anyway. The glide was not comfortable at all and the master felt alright. Well the guy ordered both in large so I went back to try them on today. After fine tuning them and climbing on them in the shop, I'm going to purchase the Glide.

Latest posts

Back