What kind of saws did your dad run ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't Karri really rare and valueble now?

A sizeable amount of the karri has gone, exported around the word for mainly construction, roof beams and scaffolding planks (weight for weight it has the same structural strength as steel), and large acreages were cleared and burnt for dairy, potato, tobacco and hop farms. The Tobacco and hops are all gone and nowadays there are a lot of vineyards. Most of the really big remaining trees are in national parks, I have no problem with that. A small amount is still milled and used for special construction and flooring, but like all timber it is getting very expensive. It can look very similar to its close eucalyptus cousin, Jarrah, although it is a lot harder to work than Jarrah, which is a wonderful furniture grade timber.

My dad owns Stihls and it has absolutely no bearing on what saws I own. Im my own man and I have a mind of my own.

My grandad cut with an old geardrive Mac. I can't remember the model, but I do remember the chain moving so slow you could just about file it at full throttle.

My old mans favorite was the 056 super. Now he has an 044, but doesn't cut anymore...

When I was growing up my dad ran a Mac. When I got older I gave him a 044. He's a Stihl guy now.

I'm glad to see so many post so far. I didn't know how well this thread would turn out. I just wanted to see how many were influenced by there dad's and granddad's likes and dislikes.

My GranDad started out with a Mall 12A, he also had Titans and Terrills. Later, he switched to a Homelite 5-20, he continued with Homelites, mostly because his drinking buddy sold them. My Father didn't run chainsaws, he was a sawfiler at the Scotia Redwood mill. I followed in my GranDad's boot prints, I bought McCullochs from one of my drinking buddies.

My dad had Homelites. One like the one Randy brought to the GTG, and the smaller 'homeowner' model (if there was such a thing back then).

My pa had a couple of old McC 3-25's, which I still have (plus some more to boot) and a Homie model 17. Also a very early XL-12.

Dad was kinda tight with a buck, always trying eke out a little more life from old equipment, he used these antiques right up until 1974, when he was killed in an accident.

A year or so later I bought me a shiny new Homie XL-123. I wish I had it back, now.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I about lost mine in a motorcycle accident when I was 14. It was he11, his bike was in 3 peices. He still runs the old poulan 306A that he ran 30 yrs ago. (with the 14 2inch screws in his back) Only thing ever done to it is 3 fuel filters and I changed the points. Grandpa ran homelite super EZ and the only saw he ever bought new which was a mini mac 35.

my grandfathers worked in timber. one owned the mill and land, the other ran the woods operations. my dad could tell you about using cross-cut saws and pulling logs with ox and mules.
when i was a kid our saw was a poulan 66 super, which is still in the family. it was our only saw. you cut, limbed and bucked with it.

BTW, it is a bow bar.

Dad always cut firewood with a Shindaiwa 575 and 300s. The saws are still running.

My dad and grandad mostly cut firewood and some pulpwood. I have my grandfathers McCulloch 250 that he bought in 1963 when my dad was born. My dad still has his McCulloch PM610 that he bought before I was born. My dad has seen me cut with my SP125C and the Pro Mac 700. My dad was really impressed with the 700's power to weight ratio.

Last edited:
My dad for the last 20 years has ran a Sachs Dolmar 117. Unfortunately it was loaned out earlier this year and was ran while there was some sort of malfunction, end result......piston scored. My dad went to the local dealer and traded it in for some credit on a new saw. No local dolmar dealer so he now is using a Husky 455. Anyhow, the Sachs Dolmar 117 was used every season for the last 20 years cutting firewood and was one hell of a saw. I wish I had been able to keep it and have it rebuilt! :chainsaw:

A lot of family history here which i`m envious of. I grew up with open fires but it was always coal. I`m a first generation chainsaw user and i hope my son takes an interest.
FIL uses saws, and my parents, who are pensioners, appreciate the wood i provide, but theres no real logging history or pride of ownership aspect to chainsaws locally.

Dad ran some monster of an old mac before I was born, sold the saw and got out of logging when I was born. As he needed to clear cut for his new Construction career he bought a used 031 and later an 041. As those saws got old he traded the both in on a 038.
When he returned to logging he also bought a 272 (husky)

He had greatly influenced me on my decision, When he passed I took his 038 as it was his favorite.

I now have 2 John Deere's (his fav tractor) and 1 Stihl, I will eventually buy my big saw and Since I am not in a particular hurry it will be a Stihl, most likely a 460 or maybe a 660.

Back