what log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double E

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering a log splitter this year, I have been borrowing a friends but thats a pain, it would be nice to just split when ever i have some time and not have to do it all in a weekend when the splitter is available. I am looking at the 22 ton Huskee at TSC or the 27 ton troy built at lowes. Is there any pros or cons that I should be aware of, I appriciate any input, thanks.

for homeowner use either of those machines would do the job ,think tsc was advertising a good deal on their equipment this coming week

I am seriously considering a log splitter this year, I have been borrowing a friends but thats a pain, it would be nice to just split when ever i have some time and not have to do it all in a weekend when the splitter is available. I am looking at the 22 ton Huskee at TSC or the 27 ton troy built at lowes. Is there any pros or cons that I should be aware of, I appriciate any input, thanks.

There are a ton of good splitters on the market and you didn't mention whether cost was an issue. Others may disagree, but don't discount a little electric log splitter. I've used a little $300 electric Ryobi log splitter for 7 years and have split over 50 full cords (that's 150 face cords) of wood with it. Some will bring up the big gnarly hard piece of wood issue. But here in Northern Wisconsin, I don't get many pieces like that. With few exceptions, my little Ryobi has pretty much handled everything I've thrown at it. It takes me about 5 hours to split a full cord. But I do it while sitting down !

Here are a couple of videos:
25" Maple log split by Ryobi log splitter...WOW! - YouTube

Ryobi Log Splitter - YouTube

4-Ton Electric Log Splitter-RY49701 at The Home Depot

I think if you read through all the comments on each splitter on this site, the Huskee/SpeeCo will come out on top. Everyone who owns one seems to be happy with it. There was some issues with the Troy Bilt for some, if I recall correctly, I think it was cylinder issues...:msp_confused:

Your money will be better spent down at TSC on a Huskee model than the troybilt. There are members that have had a Troybilt for years and have had no problems, but as they threads will attest to, when this problem crops up its a huge problem and you more or less end up with a splitter that just aint worth fixing

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/174531.htm
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/174880.htm
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/173407.htm
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/175209.htm

My vote for the tsc Speco. I have seen my buddy's eat some ugly crotches. Did I just say that out loud??

22 ton Huskee/Speeco

I do like my Huskee that I bought this fall. 10 full cords through it now, and it's still running fine. As mentioned, TSC is having a Black Friday deal on them for $100 off.

Since the final assembly is done by TSC at each store, make sure you double-check all the fittings, just in case... I had some problems the first day with that, but it's run fine since then.

I have had the MTD (troybilt, cub cadet,etc) for six or seven years and have been 110% happy with it. Never done a damn thing to it but change the oil and it has split everything I've thrown at it.

That being said, I'd go buy the Speeco @ TSC when it's on sale for $999. There are LOTS of folks here who have them and give them great reviews.

Wife and I have a Huskee 22 ton. We do not sell wood, we cut and split to heat our home. This thing has about 12-16 cords through it and it has been great for us.

Get the 22 ton Huskee. I love mine. I repainted mine after towing it on salted roads but no other problems. Also, put synthetic 5w 30 in the motor for easy winter starting.

I think if you read through all the comments on each splitter on this site, the Huskee/SpeeCo will come out on top. Everyone who owns one seems to be happy with it. There was some issues with the Troy Bilt for some, if I recall correctly, I think it was cylinder issues...:msp_confused:

Toy Built is made by MTD who isn't known for their quality with any of the equipment they make.

Northern?

I have had this one for a year - NorthStar Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter — 37-Ton, 270cc | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment - and I love it! I wanted one with a Honda engine and Northern was the only one I could find.. It is well built hardware wise but all the hoses are cheap Chinese and are showing cracks already and I keep this thing in a shed or covered all the time so it's not UV exposure. I have a top notch "hose house" nearby so I'm thinking this spring I'm gonna get a full set made. I also have the 4 way wedge option so it's pretty quick. ALSO I would not tow it very far as it does not handle traveling very well, I plan to mount it to the front of a trailer soon so I have more wood hauling capability.

thanks for all the input. I think I will check out huskee at tsc tommorow. Now the big problem THE WIFE. :msp_sad:

Well, we bought a Huskee 22 ton and the biggest problem I have now is that I CANNOT pry the valve handle out of my wife's hand. She absolutely loves splitting with the thing. Hope you have the sam experience with yours splitter.

Well, we bought a Huskee 22 ton and the biggest problem I have now is that I CANNOT pry the valve handle out of my wife's hand. She absolutely loves splitting with the thing. Hope you have the sam experience with yours splitter.

I have a MTD 25 ton that seems to be ok but I have only had it a little while and only put a cord through it. The guy I bought it from said he put about 50 cords through it in 4 years. My wife enjoys running it, she'll even grab some of the smaller logs herself . The only thing is it's a little horizontal shaft motor, looks like a lawn mower type engine with the pump hanging underneath. I think I'd rather have a side shaft motor so the pump isn't at risk of getting caught on a rock or stump moving it around. There is a gaurd there but still. It smokes but runs fine, I just have to check the oil when I fill it with gas, just like my chainsaw with bar oil :msp_biggrin: I paid $400 for it used and I see much worse than mine going for $700 or more. Heck, if I could get that much for mine I'd think about getting that Huskee at TSC just so I know what I have and not a smoker.

Latest posts

Back