What makes a modded work saw a modded work saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The title asked the question.
I mean is the goal a longer lasting more reliable saw?
A faster saw?
Or hey I like everyone to hear me cut wood cause loud pipes save lifes?
Just asking because I would not want to lose any reliability or longevity of my saws. I know that there is a point where performance deminishes reliability. So what is the general goal of a modded work saw?

Get on the site and read some. After I looked at the threads that have been done on stock chainsaws versus modified saws, there are several reasons people enjoy making their saws perform better. Many saw owners have shared their experience and know how. I have a greater knowledge than I ever thought possible.
JohnL

Pop up piston/lowered jug, polished and corrected ports, reamed or replaced carb, Compression in the 180psi range, and still start on the third pull cold.
One guy in Ohio, can do it. He doesn't post here.
Plenty of folks elsewhere.

To me a modded work saw increases production and fun factor without decreasing reliability or longevity. Woods porting, muffler mods, base gasket deletes and other common mods should not decrease the lifespan of a saw, and in some cases may increase it. When you get into the "mild to wild" porting and modification, longevity goes out the window in place of ultimate performance.

A well ported well made saw with over 200psi will last longer than your average person will ever use it. I've built and ported a bunch of saws in the last 10 years and had two fail one ms660 hung a ring and a 394xp big end rod bearing but it would have eventually failed stock. Saws are very rarely worn out no matter how much compression. I build saws for many logging companies all of them are 200psi and worked hard everyday and when they come back there lean seized or smashed. Heat and improper oil ratio and skidded kill saws not modifications that are done correctly

I've done a few saws where I didn't modify the muffler, just improved port and carb flow, increased the compression a bit, and they run like raped apes. I do it because I'd rather be able to carry a small saw around the bush than a big one, performance being equal... Perhaps it was an exaggeration, but someone who used one of my 65 cc saws compared it to a 288. It does make the work a little more fun.

I have yet to c a stock saw regardless of it's cc's cut with my little 371xp. I had a 288 and didn't care for it, ran good ported but felt clumsy in my hands. My new favorite is a 394xp they seem to love compression and porting everyone I work on and I own 2 are stronger than a 395 and I own a couple of them, there more snappy and hungry than a 395 I think. My 394's sound like 372's. It took a lot if time and dedication for me to convince the loggers around here that I wouldn't ruin there saws and I ported many saws for free just so there would be one on the job to use and it worked. Now I'm trying to get them to put down there 660's and 395's for a 372 or 390 but it's a hard sell but I'm guilty of it to, everyone wants the fastest meanist saw in the woods even though a 24" bar is overkill.

What makes a modded work saw a modded work saw?
1. Ambition
2. Adequate tools and measuring devices
3. Intelligence
4. Common sense
5. Skillz
6. Steady hand
7. Precise measurements
8. A means for machining
9. Lots of help from fellow AS members
10. TIME

I found this site looking for timing numbers and found a wealth of information. I ported my 385 10 years ago and was sure I was the only guy in the world who had done it until I found this site, the build threads are as useful as any tool I have, no matter what saw u have u can find good numbers and new ideas.

I never heard of a 'modded' saw until I visited this site - have learned a lot.
Basically, a saw is modified to increase performance. Lots of things can be modified: ports, pistons, mufflers, carbs, gaskets, timing, etc.
Some modifications are trade offs: speed vs power; compression vs longevity; etc. Some modifications make more sense for a race saw, or for bragging rights.
So a modified 'work' saw, sometimes called a 'woods mod', would typically be less extreme, and focused on extended cutting performance.

But not all mods are improvements - it is possible to reduce desired performance, or permanently damage major components (be careful of modified saws on Craig'sList or eBay) by tinkering. Which is why a lot of folks will send their saws to certain guys who have experience, and a good reputation, with specific saws, or listen closely to their advice.

Most mods will void your warranty, if that is of concern. Some, such as removing spark arrestors, violate Forest Service regulations, which can be an issue if you cut in certain areas.
Some guys just want to bypass EPA mandated design restrictions, to let their saw 'achieve it's full potential', without turning it into a hot rod.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back