What mix do you prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just curious what mix ratio that you guys prefer to run in your saws?

Personally i always run 50-1 mix with super unleaded and the stihl oil mix. I have always thought its better to be richer than too lean and burn up my saws. I really dont want to replace all my work saws, since that would be around five grand for new equipment.

Just curious what you guys run? I've heard 40-1, 32-1, ???

thanks

you should do a poll-dennis can hook you up with a 250cc?

Whats the deal with uhhh?? Just curious, since everyone one on here seems to run a different ratio. And half the guys i work with around here just sorta guesstimate the ratio.

16:1 Penzoil 10W-30. Just following the instructions in my owners manual.

Whats the deal with uhhh?? Just curious, since everyone one on here seems to run a different ratio. And half the guys i work with around here just sorta guesstimate the ratio.

Not to be an a$$ my friend... this topic just got beat to friggin' death about a week ago... again.

Go back about 1 or 2 pages in the archives and you will have all the readin' you want.

Oh... 50:1 Stihl HP Ultra (white bottle)... :D

Gary

There is no reason to run anything but 50:1 in modern saws - or any pro quality saw made after about 1968 - even though they "call for" more oil, provided you use one of the better synth oils.

My 1970 vintage 621 has been run at 50 to one as long as anyone care to remember, but it "calls for" 25:1 - that was before the synth oils......:yoyo: :yoyo:

There is no reason to run anything but 50:1 in modern saws - or any pro quality saw made after about 1968 - even though they "call for" more oil, provided you use one of the better synth oils.

attachment.php

Troll can you convert what Husky is saying here for me???.... My dealer says 40/1 on the bigger saws......

Last edited:
a.s. should do a ratio poll once a year and make it a sticky-along with a sticky for examples of muffler modds-a sticky for how to sharpen chains and one for site rules----then we could lose the two for classifieds and the on topic one and keep the link one?

Uhhh....

Gary

Means this topic has been thrashed to death...

Oops, I see that Gary has replied. Yah, what he said. See, what brand, ratio, octane and rating of blue goo to use in chainsaws has been hotly debated so many times that we are all as blue as the oil mix.

I use about 45:1 gas:eek:il to keep the bearings happier with super gasoline (no ethanol blends, thank you) in the mix of saws and brush cutters here. I use Castrol currently, or many name brands that are JASO FB or FA rated (for air cooled engines). I have also used Stihl orange bottle stuff that seems to work OK. No engine scoring, or engine failures (yet).

Don't listen to Gary, he realy does'nt have the facts. Running your 50:1 with super unleaded will work fine. I tend to stay a little light on the gas side so say 45+ to 1

You can thank me later
Your resident fuel mix expert
Crazymanmike

Don't listen to Gary, he realy does'nt have the facts. Running your 50:1 with super unleaded will work fine. I tend to stay a little light on the gas side so say 45+ to 1

You can thank me later
Your resident fuel mix expert
Crazymanmike

Grab a clue, :newbie: . Ya might want to hang around a while and listen and learn before ya start dissing people. Most these guys cut their teeth on saw chain.

Oh, I was just funnin a bit, in truth though what I wrote will safely put the guy in the ballpark. I am though realy good at mixing fuel and not exactly a newbie as I own over 2 dozen saws from the smallest to the biggest in the world. Oh yeah there is a ton of knowledge in this forum and have learned much from some great people.

cmm

Grab a clue, :newbie: . Ya might want to hang around a while and listen and learn before ya start dissing people. Most these guys cut their teeth on saw chain.

Now worries... actually the little sawed of runt Mike and I are friends. He has prolly forgot more about saws than you and I will ever know put together...

:D :D :D

Gary

SawTroll;...that was before the synth oils......:yoyo: :yoyo:[/QUOTE said:
Do the newer synthetics (HP Ultra, XP silver bottle) stay suspended(mixed) as well as the conventional dyno oils for long periods of time? I know your only supposed to store it for 30 days but sometimes I go longer between sawing. I always like to have it on hand because of blowdowns. I don't want to have to calculate mix ratios when I'm already in a hurry to clear a road or taking the risk of forgetting and dumping straight gas in my saws.

If you run Amsoil, you only have to mix every 2nd or 3rd gallon. This gives you no smoke! The old stuff was good but you just can't beat the new scientific technology!

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Stay away from crazymanmike's chain :D :D :D He many be a :newbie: :monkey: but he drinks my kind of beer!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back