What saw to replace a Husky 36

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roofgunner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've had a Husky 36 for about 17 years. It's developed problems and I need a saw this size to fill the voild between the Husky 455 Rancher and the rebuilt 55 and the little Stihl 009L I have. I've ruled out Stihl because the dealer near me had problems and the parts are expensive--like 19.00 for the carb kit for my FS 250 brush cutter. I checked out an Echo 370 but the dealer wasn't sure about a sprocket to run the two new chains (.325) that I would still like to use as the Echo has a 3/8 chain.(The Echo dealer said he'd call if he found a sprocket and he never called.) I went to the Husky dealer and they had the 235 and 240. I told him to forget the 235 as it was like a Poulan and I didn't want a "home owner throw away saw". He said the 240 is made by Husky and that Husky owns Poulan, but that the 240 is a "commerical type" saw. I liked the 36 because it was light and powerful and cut fast through the almond wood in CA. So, I'm taking recommendations and I'd like to keep the price between 250 and 300 $. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The 235 and 240 aren't really any different. You'll want a 435 - far better than the 240. And there's really only a $30 difference between the two. .325 chains vs. 3/8LP. A pound less weight. 20% more power. Go with the 435 and don't look back :msp_thumbup:

Thanks

Originally, before I went to the dealer, I thought of the 435 also. When I got there, I think (and I will reconfirm Monday) the guy said that they don't carry or didn't make the 435 anymore, which I thought odd because I had seen it in the A.M. Leanord catalog which caters to professional ag people. Then I had to go to Lowes for some landscape stuff for the wife. And what did I see at Lowes (in Chillicothe, MO) but the 435. The what is odd is that I hear to stay away from buying a saw a Lowes or the box stores. I'm going to check back with the dealer or call another one to see what they say. But, you are right price, power, etc. the 435 is better for what I want. I will report back.

Bailey's

I've had good relations with Bailey's both at visiting their shop in Woodland, and Laytonville while I was in CA. Should I get the saw from them? They should stock top notch stuff because they cater to the Pros, no????? Thanks

Latest posts

Back